1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DJ should make an immediate impact

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 18, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    actually juju had more targets than Brown last year. The success will be more about bens ability then juju to find the mismatch for the offense to work.:cool:

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/receiving-targeted

No, Smith-Schuster caught more passes last season, but Brown still got more targets. I do realize it was a small difference in the number of targets, but Brown also played in one fewer game.

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm sorry, you are correct, Brown had two more targets. Yes one fewer games but two more game starts then juju. Pretty even though. I still think it will be less about one over the other and more about the other options then the way our offense has run in the past several years. Less about any one player and more about the qb finding the weakness. :cool:

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    A much improved rushing attack with three fresh backs and a game plan each week that seeks to limit exposure of the secondary by playing a time consuming possession game. That would cause numbers across the board for the receivers to drop and would have little to do with no longer having Brown.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Or it would have a lot to do with Brown because they feel like they have to make that adjustment with him gone.

The secondary needed protection last season. The improved running game is a big assumption. They gave up on it too easily far too often, which was easy to do with Brown and Smith-Schuster on the outside.

I know quite a few people don't want to admit that losing Brown hurts, but you're only fooling yourself if that is your thinking.

6. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I'm excited about DJ and Moncrief, both could be huge. I'm excited to see Moncrief with a good QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    sure it will hurt if they try to make juju into AB, but I think fichtner is smarter than that and will counter the loss with more options. Ben will be the one that has to make the new normal function.:cool:

8. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    But JuJu was 4th in the NFL in targets .... That does not mean that it will be the case in 2019 .... The offense could be very different in 2019, which could be a good thing ..... More depth in our RB and WR.

As I said, I do not want our offense to have only one weapon, otherwise we are in trouble

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Losing Brown hurts but you are attributing a potential loss to it before it happens and excluding other potential reasons. 400 yards averages out to 25 yards a game over a 16 game schedule. That is roughly 3-4 short yardage targets and completions. So yes a 400 yard difference could be attributed to not having Brown to take the focus of the scondary and allow Juju to get open more. It might also mean that an effective run game is taking pressure off Ben and the passing game resulting in fewer passes and reduced numbers for the receiving core. This doesn't mean any one piece is less effective due to not having Brown but rather one facet of the offensive game plan making the other less of a risk.

Now I'm in no way in saying that there aren't going to be immediate and season long affects of Antonio Brown no longer being a Steeler. I am pointing how Juju could have a statistically poorer season than last year but still have it be successful and have nothing to do with Brown's departure.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The offense didn't have only one weapon last year. As I said, this all seems to be a lot of muddying the waters because people just don't want to acknowledge that Brown's presence was a big part of Smith-Schuster's success.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Even if they run more and pass less, we're talking about a team that lost about 200 targets with Brown and James gone. For Smith-Schuster's production to drop that much, it's absolutely a decline in play on his part and Brown's departure is likely going to be a big reason for that.

12. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    If he has 1000 yards in 120 targets, it's going to be a great season for him .... My point I'm more focused on the team than the individual stats

To replace 200 targets .... The steelers had 100 more pass attempts than the 2017 season .... Also 50 passes attempted more than the 2nd team in pass attempts in the nfl in 2018.I do not think the steelers are going to have close to 700 pass attempts next year

13. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    And I do not think our 3rd wide receiver with the most target will be Ryan Switzer with only 44.

It will be more balanced...this is the key.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Logically if JuJu gets the same amount of targets as last year, he will be around 1400 yds imo. If being double-teamed because he is now #1 & adjusting reduces his targets, then 1000 yds will be a great season for him.

15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Some people not all of us........:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are correct. I should have included the word some there.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I guess we'll find out won't we. If JuJu puts up similar numbers then AB didn't play a big part of his success at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Or they just forced the ball to him 200 times because they need to replace Brown's targets. Or he simply got better, which is certainly possible for a third-year player.

Though it is nice to see that you are going to accept that Brown was a huge part of his success if Smith-Schuster's numbers decline significantly.

19. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    If his numbers decline a lot for his efficiency, it's going to be because he will not have much help

Remember in 2016, when we have no 2nd WR, Brown had a 600 yard drop vs the 2015 season and that even if Bell was still with us

I'm not saying that JuJu is Antonio Brown, this comparison is very unfair for now, but my point is that others must produce too .... I do not want a team with only one weapon!

20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I guess we will and I am rooting for ya cause at the end of the day I care about wins and losses and the prize at the end. I can care less about being all bent out of shape over a player who was a jerk but holy cow to be that blinded by hate of a former player to think a player who was the best at his position didn't have an effect on others is incredible smh.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I see you are already working on your excuses for when you are proven wrong :lolol:

Interesting that you say force the ball to JuJu when you are one of the people who down plays Ben forcing the ball to AB.

And of course I’d accept it if JuJus numbers fell off the map. I’m not insecure, everyone gets things wrong.

No, you just get bent all out of shape about my opinion of AB.

You also seem to be suffering from the same memory lapse as Scribe, show me where I said he didn’t benefit from AB?

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016

Still no apology for claiming there were previous examples of dishonesty by me even though there really isn't even one example, huh? That figures.

Showing the flaws in your logic is not making excuses. You don't think it is possible for Smith-Schuster to continue to improve in year three? You don't think it's possible the lesser receivers around him now may lead to Roethlisberger forcing the ball to Smith-Schuster more often?

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Why the hell would I apologize, you were. I chose to drop it. You think you're cute but I know what you were doing or maybe you have dementia, you just asked me about it prior to that post.

Flaws in my logic, right, freaking flying monkeys in your world, pal.

Tired of wasting my time on your childish bs.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Your post suggested there were previous examples of dishonesty, which you cannot provide because it didn't happen. You claimed I was dishonest in that case, which is also untrue. I'm just pointing out that you made an inaccurate and unfair point about another poster and simply moved on when it was pointed out.

The logic in your post was flawed. I pointed out the flaws. You mislabeled my points as excuses. I asked appropriate follow-up questions. Do you think it is possible for Smith-Schuster to continue to improve in his third season? Do you think it is possible Roethlisberger will have to force the ball to him more because he doesn't have another elite receiver out there with him? Rather than answer those questions, both of which work against your point, you angrily took another shot at me.

Every word of this post is fair. Given your reluctance to answer those very fair questions and what seems to be a state of agitation, it is probably best to just move on. Have a lovely day.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    My God you are full of it and your second paragraph is more dishonesty from you. Are you really trying to pass it off as my position that JuJu is not capable of improving? Even asking that question of me? My position all along is that he is a great WR getting better all the time but you are trying to spin my position. That is dishonest.