1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DJ should make an immediate impact

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 18, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I feel like I am in a Who's on First skit :facepalm:

:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's a fair question. Do you actually believe that Brown wasn't a part of Smith-Schuster's success the last two seasons?

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I actually answered that already, thats why I replied that way.

Of course he benefited. My argument is this idea that he won't be successful without him or that he won't be able to handle double coverage.

He'll still put up over a 1,000 yards and I bet his TD's go up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Who cares, that was last year, It means nothing this year. Juju is not the team just like Ben isn't and AB wasnt. Good teams adjust to a new normal. New top guys emerge all the time just like we have since the 70s. One team has equaled our success in terms of Lombardi s. That should be motivation enough to break that tie for every player on this team. No one player has ever made this team what it is and that won't end.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Absolutely. As Browns success was was a function of Wallace. And when Wallace left Brown really blossomed. I expect Ju Ju to do the same. Only question is if someone steps into Ju Ju’s role?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

This right here is what we need to worry about. I think in the end Juju is good enough to handle the #1 role but if we don't have guys step up into the 2 & 3 role that could hurt Juju. I have a feeling DJ is going to get the chance and I have a feeling JW is on his way out. jmo

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You may have mentioned it at some point, but I was responding to your post that seemed to suggest otherwise.

Who said he won't be successful? What I and others have said is that his job is going to get a lot more difficult with those double-teams. He still has to prove he can be a No. 1 receiver. Last season, Smith-Schuster got a No. 1 receiver's targets without having to deal with the defensive attention that a No. 1 has to overcome.

Smith-Schuster had 1,426 yards receiving last season. Just going over 1,000 yards is a low bar at this point, and a significant decline in production.

He may score more touchdowns with Brown no longer the primary target, but the real key is if Smith-Schuster can at least match his production from last season in receptions and yards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think we are going to see Wr3-6 get moved around a lot maybe seeing 1 and 3 swapping spots or running inside outside routes until Ben gets comfortable with them. The way Washington went up and grabbed combat catches in the preseason last year, you have to believe a year under his belt 10 pounds lighter he is going to be a big part of giving Ben a target to throw to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wanted to give this a like but not the last part. I have my concerns about JW but that doesn't mean I don't want him to succeed. Hope he builds off of what we saw down the stretch last year.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    JW will be a big part of this offense. Hope he learns how to block like Hines did.

1000 yards will be a good year for JuJu. Less than 1000 will be a step back imo.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    So those 4 or 5 guys don't need to get open and make catches and Juju doesn't need to play like a #1 in order for this team to experience success this season?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If Smith-Schuster has 1,000 yards receiving in 2019, that is a 400-yard drop in production even though Brown, who led the team in targets last year, is gone. That kind of drop would absolutely qualify as a significant step back.

13. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    JuJu's stats can also depend on the number of targets he's going to get .... The number of yards is not important for me ..... The efficiency like yards per target and the percentage of targets caught are more stats than yards or stats like that...Not just for JuJu,but the offense in general.

14. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'd like to see DJ used as they used Switzer at times out of the backfield with three wide.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Of course they do and they have proven they can. This is the NFL they have shown they are the best there is even UDFAs are the best of the best at this game or they wouldn't have made it this far. Let alone starting and playing for a contender. You just want to argue stupid crap. Conner, Samuels, juju, moncrief, washington, eli, grimble, mcdonald, switzer all have proven they can play in this league. :cool:

16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    In a perfect world yes your right. My opinion is that a 1000 yard season is a good one for JuJu or AB next year considering what has changed from last year.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    My original response was agreeing with you. I'm not sure who's arguing...:scratch:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If his targets drop with Brown gone, something definitely went wrong. He is the clear No. 1 receiver with a quarterback who will throw the ball a great deal even if they do fix the run/pass balance. Unless there is an injury to Smith-Schuster or Roethlisberger, a 400-yard statistical decline is a clear sign that Smith-Schuster's quality of play declined. It would be evidence that Brown's presence on the other side played a bigger role in his success than most folks here would ever want to admit.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Other than no longer having Brown on the other side to draw the No. 1 receiver attention, what other reason would there be for that big of a drop in his numbers? Hopefully, the offense does run the ball more in 2019, but it won't be so much that Smith-Schuster's targets should drop given that they are no longer feeding the ball to Brown. To lose that much yardage would definitely make 2019 a disappointment for Smith-Schuster.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    :drinks:

22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't have concerns about JW where my concern is is with the relationship between Ben and him. If Ben gives him a chance then I have all the confidence in the world he will be good but if Ben don't then there is nothing he can do and we will see a replay of the start of the season last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

I not think that Ben will attempt 675 passes this year and I think our 3rd WR is going to have more than 44 targets.

I want a more balanced offense, not just rely on one weapon.

I do not care if the JuJu stats are a little down like 1000-1100 yards if our offense is successful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Stats are pretty clear when we run for over 100 yards of more we win. Only 1 game we can for under 100 we won and we had 78 in that one. The ones we were under and during the losing streak we were under didn't end well for us.

Juju had more targets than AB barely. AB worked out of the slot at times. To me this is where things change this year. Juju probably will not get those spot matchups like AB got and this is where Johnson may work more. He hasn't yet in otas but I expect he will. This will be something to watch.

The backs had over 100 targets and that also may increase in Samuels 2nd year. There are clearly says to create mismatches and if used could bring juju numbers down but they can be made up with other players and that doesn't take away jujus importance, nor does it mean he is lacking as a #1. To me we have added different ways to not have to rely on bell and Brown's positions as much.

Shifting the numbers around evenly will help. As these new additions, switzer, samuels, washington and even Eli being back full in year two should reap some benefits to Ben and the offense. We also have a couple of good year one additions to help both the run game and passing game.

They actually have been building a more balanced attack even if it wasn't their goal of being without brown. So he's I can see jujus numbers go down but the offense to be more productive. It takes nothing away from juju abilities. It's more subtraction by addition.:cool:

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The offense lost its leader in targets in Brown. Even if they drop 100 passing attempts, there are still plenty of targets to go around. Of course, balance is better, but Smith-Schuster is going to have to carry a heavy load. If he can't, say because he finds it a lot tougher getting open because he doesn't have Brown on the other side, that's a significant decline that makes it a hell of a lot less likely the offense will succeed.