1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben speaks to the media about AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 20, 2019.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Yawn, Ben said what he should have said, it's water under the bridge now..... let it go and move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Man you are peturbed by Edmunds. Maybe Edmunds was agreeing that AB was two-faced, because he is. Wait till the great D. Carr can't get him the ball, it will be Ben's fault. Book it.

3. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    God liked listening to Troy, God can see right thru AB.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You just argued that Edmunds liked Brown's post, which seems to suggest Roethlisberger is two-faced, because he was actually saying Brown is two-faced? That is one hell of a rhetorical pretzel you just made of yourself.

It seems as if Edmunds liked a post criticizing his teammate. I'm not sure how else to read that honestly. That's not good.

I'm not perturbed by Edmunds. I hope he becomes even a solid starter this season. I am convinced that it was a mistake to spend last year's first-round pick on him. Given that the Steelers passed on a player who earned All-Pro honors at a position of need to take him, it's clear that I'm right. That Edmunds may have engaged in some social media idiocy just adds more evidence to my case.

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    A common thread I'm reading of late is how much AB will suffer because Derek Carr is his QB. It's as though it will be a miracle if Carr can get from sideline to the huddle without tripping over his feet.

While Carr isn't the QB Ben is, he has had some success in the past, is only 27, and finally has a decent WR to throw to. The last 4 yrs Carr has thrown 101 TD passes without AB, and Ben threw 112 with him. This doesn't seem like a collosal difference. If having AB gets Carr 2 more TDs/yr and his loss costs Ben 2TD/yr, the difference disappears.

ABs numbers could be pretty good this year. It ain't like he'll be running routes for Laundry Jones.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

What about the YPA by Carr? .... Best season of Derek Carr for yards per attempts is 7.3 ..... The worst season of Ben's career for YPA is 7.3 in 2012 and 2013, when it was the dink and dunk of Todd Haley.

Derek Carr is too conservative as QB ... goes too often to his checkdown, which explains his weak YPA .... Amari Cooper was very good in Dallas after the trade in Mid season, even though he knew very little their playbook....725 yards in 9 games for Cooper in Dallas....only 280 yards in 6 games with the Raiders.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CoopAm00.htm

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    y

Look, I'm not saying Carr is some sort of great QB. I'm saying he ain't the drooling stiff so many seem to think he is. Especially if he gets a bit better pass protection.

Besides look at Coopers '15 and '16 stats, pretty similar to his '18 stats. Who was throwing him the ball those years???

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Honestly, I don't think Carr is the Raiders QB after next season, jmo. Wasn't his brother a first pick of the draft? The Raiders aren't too far off than that Texas team was during his time. Yeah, Carr reminds me of a bust pick, I guess we will see.

9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    How do you come to the conclusion that AB was referring to Ben? The timing of his post? Did it mention Big Ben? Maybe Edmunds was putting his spin on the tweet, some of us get it. Two faced is ABs cup of tea, ironically that is what he hates about himself. Reaching out to god for forgiveness. My spin on his tweet.

10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    How will Carr handle a double-teamed wr? Force it to him? Look to throw elsewhere? Pretty sure AB will be the focal point of defending the Raiders. If he doesn't get the ball to AB ALOT, Gruden will have to make changes, AB will make sure of it. After all he is the great chest that can put up similiar numbers by being traded. We will see.

11. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Right out of the donkey's mouff.....

Roethlisberger: 'I lacked in leadership' in 2018

So, for all of you who disagreed with anyone who said he wasn't a "leader". Eat it and enjoy it now.

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You don't think it will be an a distraction at camp anyway???? Media will pick this scab until both are bled dry and it sounds like one of them has a long way to go before that happens.

13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    And this is why Ben should have kept his mouth shut in the first place. Now we could have another idiot taking AB's place. And if this is true, what, if anything, will our HC do?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree in that a lot of mouths should have been shut (and not only in this fiasco), however like most NFL issues, it is all public record. I really don't see how Ben could have done anything but respond at some point. He was going to be hounded about it either way. This way he had a choice in when he responded and how. Now, if he chooses to keep his mouth shut (if he is smart he will) about AB when the hounding starts again, he can do by stating that he has already addressed it. Smart move if it plays out that way, and if it does, I'm betting Ben had some help forming the when and what of his response.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    just have to win games and shut em up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Saying he lacked in leadership doesn’t mean there was no leadership. I believe the point of his post was he could’ve been better at it.

So you might want to hold up on the Crow.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sure, but better it be minimized as best it can? Any out of town press will start from scratch. A little easier for Ben to dismiss it if he can say he already addressed it and it’s old news. Around here, it’s already pretty much done. Except on this board :smiley1:. Just a thought.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agreed. I thought that the complete quote was something like we didn’t get to the playoffs, and I’m supposed to lead the team to the playoffs, so I lacked in leadership. I didn’t see it as an admission by Ben that he did anything wrong as a team leader other than owning up to not winning enough last year as the franchise QB.

I guess a broader interpretation fits the narrative that some folks want to advance about Ben though.

I saw something earlier today where Foster says that the team has never been closer.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    At least better that last year...

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    And what’s the big locker room difference between 2018 and 2019? No AB and no Bell drama. I think it becomes clearer by the day where the issues in the locker room originated.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'll hold back the snide comment and just say that my interpretation makes far more sense and yours is a stretch at best.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The like button on social media is ambiguous as it gets. Edmunds hitting like could mean he liked AB''s post because he too thinks Ben is two faced or he could have liked it as future proof that AB is having a mental breakdown or that he has chubby fingers or that he likes it because it's a funny thing to say. If you are already predisposed to not like a player it will make a person look at it in a negative light. Half the stuff Dupree says on social media is stupid but the guys that don't like him just feed off it and it fuels their fustration.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    My guess is that he did the same thing that I have done about a hundred times on my phone - got fat fingered and hit the wrong button, and then realized he made a mistake.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I see another two face tweet coming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Tomlin need to control his players better on the social media

It will become out of control once again if Tomlin do nothing.