1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DJ should make an immediate impact

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 18, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We can only hope. JW needs to step it up too. Brown was really taking the best defenders out

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I liked the highlights I have seen on him. Funny though, those highlights only seem to show players when they are doing something successful. I do think the writer was a little hard on the receivers already on our roster. I mean, he starts out the article basically saying that they suck...that is it. Talks about DJ and even justifies why his numbers are the way they are (bad QB), but doesn't feel the need to quantify some of the reasons our receivers haven't enjoyed previous success. Granted, I know DJ was the focus of the article, but I do believe a couple of our receivers would have been or are more successful with Ben throwing them the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    DC's will roll that coverage JuJus way now and I believe he is up to it. I'm continually surprised by how little faith some fans show in JuJu. The kid is 23 and coming off a nearly 1500 yard campaign. Almost 1,000 yards his rookie season. I don't buy that his success is due to AB. How much you want to bet JuJu has a better year than AB this season??? Friendly bet, anyone???

JW should be ready for the next step but if he doesn't take it, I think Moncrief could be a big boon for this offense with Ben throwing him the ball.

Yeah, though he was a little rough on them, especially Switzer who seemed to come through when called upon last year. His production was minimal though and think that was more to the point of the writer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I have more faith in James Washington taking that second year leap than most. Among the two, people should be pulling more for James than Donte. Donte is also acting as a failsafw should James Washington show little to no improvement.

Regarding Diontae though, I agree with what PFF stated. He plays better than his athletic scores showcase. He definitely will be an assest contrary to popular belief.

JuJu, James, Donte and Diontae all would be an intriguing set of receivers. Should Diontae progress rapidly and James improve the same, more four receiver sets. That definitely will benefit in the long run. Teams will not know who to single out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Funny thing... JW was their number 2 rated WR in last year’s draft, and now he’s a “misfit” after having trouble with adjusting to the NFL for the first 3/4 of his rookie season. The article is trash as far as I’m concerned, and the more new stuff I’m reading these days my view of PFF is starting to drift back to the disdain that I had for them up until a couple of years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Just because they are high on someone doesn’t mean they are right, DJ could totally flop but I doubt it. I love PFF content but don’t always agree with them.

Hopefully JW steps up this year but I have concerns he may never be more than a Wheaton type player.

8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t necessarily think DJ is going to flop, though I don’t see a guy who was worth the spot where we drafted him. Hope I’m wrong and he turns into a stud. I also don’t think JW is a shoo in star, though I think he’s going to be a pretty solid player. I am just seeing more and more inconsistency in what PFF publishes. I believe that DJ earned a grade of just over 70 in their grading system last season. A college player with a 70 PFF grade is late rounder or UDFA. Then they post an article hyping him up and explaining away their 2018 grade for him because of their QB play in 2018. If he graded that low due to the QB play, doesn’t that say that their grading system is flawed? If his QB was at fault that much, how can an expert, subjective scoring system that focuses on the individual player ding him so much? I do agree that the lousy QB play showed up big time in his film in pretty much every 2018 game of his on YouTube. However, he didn’t exactly look to me like a model of consistency either. My growing beef with PFF is inconsistency by an entity that portrays itself as the be all, end all of football analytics, and this article is a shining example of it. I’m also basing my beef partly on hearing PFF guys on SiriusXM NFL radio. I’ve been unimpressed with their insights.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    When you look at the entire resume, Washington has provided a hell of a lot more evidence that he can succeed as a pro.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I have found that you can only add PFF's insights into your grading of a player (if that's a person's goal pre draft let's say) when they document the hard facts. Like player X broke "y" tackles or player x had this many YAC in the SEC, etc. PFF is good at analytics but let's leave it there. They are now getting into the player projection business and that is speculative just like every other NFL mock drafter, bona fide GM or college scout. Projecting a player's trajectory in the NFL is all opinion. Some do it by analytics (PFF), some by experience (GMs and scouts) and some by a combination of both.
    They've gotten into the speculation biz because it creates website hits as there are many draftniks. Put me in that category, I often cited their numbers for certain players I liked. JJ Arcega Whiteside's contested catch numbers for example.
    PFF has some good info you just have to put it on a sliding scale imo. Some of the coverage and pressure stats are subjective I would say. But saying player x is going to succeed in the NFL because he had "this stat" in the NCAA is part of the speculation process many draft followers will add to their grading maybe erroneously. PFF should just stick to the stats.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If stats were the be all end all for projecting success in the NFL, no one would ever miss on a draft prospect.

I never saw anything in Washington’s game that had me excited and so far his first season has shown little reason to be. See if he can take that next step that often comes for second year players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I find it odd when the skill level of a QB is to blame for a drop in production from a WR only when it fits someone’s argument....hmmm. So does a better QB make a WR better or should the WR be so good it doesn’t matter?

PFF is all over the map with their stuff.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Are you really arguing that a QBs skill level doseny affect a WRs production?

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think QB play definitely affects WR stats/production, but player grading based on film review of every play (which PFF claims to do) shouldn’t be looked at based on production. If the QB is chucking ducks in the WR’s general direction, and the WR isn’t producing, a film analysis shouldn’t penalize the WR’s grade. PFF gave DJ a pretty mediocre grade for 2018, and the article seems to explain it away. Inconsistency.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Say what ?
    The ability of a quarterback or lack there of most definitely can affect a WR’s production.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    No one knows anything that will happen in 2019. Its the off season and people need to make a living writing opinion based nonsense. May be fun to read but is of little real value. Waiting for camps to start and real news.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree. The WR is basically at the mercy of his QB and his level of play. Sometimes it takes a few years together to reach that place where the QB/WR have that special connection that goes beyond individual ability. They in essence make each other better because of trust and familiarity. Most times in college,QB/WR combos don’t have that same luxury. JW and MR were lucky enough to have that. Going from a better QB to a lesser QB and possibly even a system change will require a adjustment period,no matter how good the individual WR is himself. Ben and AB was great throwing to great. That’s why it was such a productive combo. The constant is the skill level of the QB but also many other factors that help make the WR shine. That doesn’t change in CFB or the NFL....

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Their grading has always left a lot to be desired. I find Pouncey to be one of the best centers in the league but you'd never know it from PPF's grades.

They gave DJ a 71 grade but had him ranked as the 11th best WR :shrug:

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it may come down to money. eli cost more than switzer, but ben likes eli and eli has done well for us. :cool:

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think Ben liking Eli is a plus or minus when talking Rogers vs Switzer since he seems to have really taken a liking to Ryan as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think juju is better than brown, I said it

• Like Like x 2
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he can be. If you look at AB, what makes him great? He doesn't have size or elite speed. His claim to fame is route running and work ethic.

People don't want to believe it but Ben played a large roll in AB's success and you are going to see that this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Showcasing the big brass ones BBH, I like it & agree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ask the Jets’ and Bills’ receivers just how important a good QB is.

• Like Like x 1