1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Washington can he be the #2 WR?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 9, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe he will take over that Justin Hunter role, a speedster who catches 5 passes a season :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    then someone else will lose a spot. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There is a small problem with the logic in your first paragraph. I'm not one of the people posting about Roethlisberber forcing the ball to Brown. Yes, it led to interceptions, but I think some posters are making too much of that particular issue.

I also wonder if some of the balls being forced to Brown were thrown simply because other receivers weren't getting open. People seem to have this idea that Roethlisberger allowed Brown to bully him into throwing the ball in Brown's direction more than he should have done. Look back on everything we've heard about their relationship. That makes zero sense. The only teammates Roethlisberger really ever seems concerned about keeping happy are his offensive linemen.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Over who?

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. We need to throw the ball less and spread the pass attempts we do make to everybody.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is part of watching games on TV verses live. There are many times last season where no receiver was getting open. Live you see it. TV, typically you only see part of the field.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    if its what thing to be optimistic about its our receivers

8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Coaches Film mode from NFL Game Pass shows the whole field view, plus slow motion option. It's not the same as being there live, but does give a better optic than the regular tv broadcast.
    I saw a lot of open receivers missed by Ben the last couple seasons. (Blasphemy, I know)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I expect Washington to be a solid contributor this season. The last quarter of the season he was very much improved after sitting out Week 12 following the Denver game. In my view the addition of Moncrief is going to help take some of the pressure off of James to immediately become that #2 guy. While Moncrief isn't necessarily a star WR, he's just what the doctor ordered for this team - a deep threat who will be targeted by a gunslinging QB. Ben's penchant for throwing deep will make Moncrief a more significant threat to defenses than he's been thus far in his career, and defenses will need to account for him as a big play threat (at least outside of the red zone). That will help the rest of the receiving corps.

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Washington is gonna be fine. He’s too talented and has too good a work ethic to fail. Diversifying his routes will be the key. Some of the blame probably goes on him not being a advanced route runner and some of it goes to the play calling. They basically used him as a one trick pony and he wasn’t able to emulate the success he had in college for various reasons. He will be better prepared this year and has reportedly lost 10lbs which will surely help. Regardless of the reasons his 1st year performance is the norm for most rookies. Give him a chance and he’ll be up to the task....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Absolutely. But you also saw a lot of totally covered receivers on other plays. Some of each?

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yes, both.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think it's less about Ben making them happy and more about Ben and his security blanket. He and heath had that repore. When heath left there was a good for him. He'll and AB became that. Juju is that guy since last year. McDonald is also in his sites for that guy. I think Ben feels comfortable when the play starts to go aray or he needs a play made, he tends to go to that security blanket player most often. JMO:cool:

14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't know about that take AB's first year out of it he only played 9 games. So AB and Miller played 5 years together and AB was targeted way more and in 2 of them years he lead the league in receptions. So I disagree with Miller being the security blanket cause Millers last 3 years AB doubled the targets telling me Ben was looking for him more making AB the security blanket no?

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes, but if you subtract the forced targets to AB, the numbers may be more comparable. Just a thought :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    We can only hope Washington makes a leap upward. As said showed an upswing at the end of the season. Moncrief should start as the #2 ,he has a few more years under his belt. Have to have better production out of all the receivers to make up the loss of Browns numbers. I feel that Ben will spread the ball around not having temper tantrum around.

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Finally three pages into this thread and I’m pondering what exactly is the question being asked. Is the question will he take a big leap going into his second season,compared to what we saw from him in his first? Or is the question will he be the number two as far as receptions? I feel we will se a lot of three WR sets and those sets will consist of Moncrief (x) JUJU (y) and Washington (z). I see plenty of snaps to go around for those three especially in a attempt to try to make up for the 500 snaps we lost with JJ. I don’t think there’s a TE currently on the roster that can be expected to fill those amount of snaps. That would be expecting a similar leap for Grimble as we are Washington, even more so. Therefore I anticipate more than our fair share of 3WR sets than usual.

So are we basing the title of number 2 WR on snaps or receptions? Snaps I can see being pretty equal. Receptions I feel will come down to who shows a better overall skill set. Whoever is less of a one trick pony or used as one will have a higher and better chance of being second in receptions and a better overall weapon.

I think it’s pretty safe to assume JW is gonna make a significant leap if targeted and used correctly. He had a lot to overcome in his transition from the college game to the pro game. He came from a spread offense and had a special connection with a QB you just don’t find overnight. I’m not making excuses but he’s not alone in how rookie WRs typically struggle. The college game is different. Not only was he coming from a spread offense in a conference not known for their defense. He was used to operating on a more wide open field than you have in the pro’s,where everything is more congested and the athletes you are competing against are far superior and requires a adjustment period for that as well.
    When all is said and done I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised ( some less than others) by what JW can do....

• Like Like x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Wow, you took that completely out of context. It's not meant to bash one over the other but bens comfort and who he trusted to get the ball to or knew where that player was on any given down. The offense was different then too, league wide and OC side when heath was here. It's not about forcing the ball to one player but more about who he counted on.:cool:

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am sorry if you took my post the wrong way I wasn't trying to be confrontational but I just disagreed with your statement. I know you weren't bashing anyone and either was I but to call Miller the security blanket when AB was getting twice the attention don't make sense right? If a guy is a security blanket then that means Ben is looking at him more, that was all I was pointing out. I love Miller and I love his games total class act on and off the field this wasn't a knock on him. :smiley1:

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no it means when things broke down or we needed a first down heath was his last resort that he could always get the ball to. He was very comfortable with him when the initial play options were covered. He hasn't really had that since. AB had to become that guy after heath so it did seem like he forced the ball to him a lot. I'm hoping McDonald can become that guy. Eli to an extent is a go to comfortable player for ben. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I was joking around, I don't expect him to make the roster.

• Like Like x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I think by the end of the season JW will have more snaps and receptions than Moncrief, I could see Ben using Moncrief sort like he did with Martavis. I think Moncrief end up with 40-50 catches, and be the deep threat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    James Washington should change his jersey number to something in the 80's. When I see #13 out there I think of Dri Archer ...PTSD

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I absolutely think he can be a contributor this year. Last year was rough and Washington had some huge drops, but it's not like he isn't fast and runs terrible routes. Dude just missed catches... improve that and we're off.

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with this 100%, I was thinking the same thing Moncrief is our new Bryant. jmo.