1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Keion Adams released?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, May 13, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    first rounders should be. worilds, feeney, carter, humpal, sylvester, jones, adams, dupree, matakevich, williams, zumwalt, spence, gibson, davis, chickillo all with very mixed reviews and not starters or even still around. these are not all 7th round picks. :cool:

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I never disputed your overall point. What I said was the failure of Adams isn't really a significant part of the story because seventh rounders are going to fail more often than not. Your list has quite a few guys who were always longshots mixed in with the legitimate prospects who bombed.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Worilds was a bit of an odd exception, difficult to include him on that list. Could also make a case for Spence - who knows what may have happened without his injury.

The likes of Gibson were victims of an overcrowded LB corps from memory.

All that said, I take your point about our disappointing development of LBs in general.

4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    A wasted pick when there were obviously long snappers and experienced terrible towel wavers available.

5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree with lack of development, but that can be said in most areas of the D. Coaching? Scheme? Scouting? The list could go on. Some of you guys have much better observation on the play of the team, but I even thought Mike Hilton took a step back last year, especially in the second half of the year. Maybe the stats do not bear that out, but it seems some of these guys hit a ceiling and then show regression.

6. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think the Steelers evaluation process for defensive players has been lacking since Tomlin has taken over the team. Granted you don't get a lot to choose from picking lower but it seems we have too many misses in the 1st round of the draft. Ziggy Hood, Jarvis Jones, Dupree, Burns etc. and the later round guys play as well as their draft position indicated. I think it is because Tomlin really likes using the SPARQ numbers more so than actual game film, we seem to always like players who look to be raw but are super athletic and it isn't working out. I can include Sean Davis to the list, he isn't a 1st round guy but he was a 2nd round pick that hasn't played really well as of late.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Timmons, Woodley TJ Watt Cameron Heyward, Hargrave, Vince Williams, Shazier, Tuitt, Sean Davis, Busch, Edmunds.
    Those are a few off the top of my head.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I get what you are saying about a 7th rounder. I have always thought we were a little different than most teams though, and it's been written about before, even now we view practice squad players and UDFAs. We have treated them as reserves rather than fodder. Redman just had a nice story in the Steelers depot last week about this. Being a draft pick in any round should be guys we plan on using or developing instead of treating as throw aways. There have just been so many failures. What is the common denominator in all these? Butler is what I come up with. He didn't even want harrison to start the year he finally got his shot. He overcame butler's ineptness as did a few others, tj, timmons, shazier, Woodley to an extent, harrison, but man the failure rate is quite high and that was my premise to the remark I made about another failed draft pick LB. Just trying to clarify that statement with a cause of why. Adams did have some pretty good reviews in that draft. Then their are the FA that didn't pan out under butler. Bostic, Spence 2.0, fort was allowed to walk after finally showing he had a better game then who we started with, moats.

This is a lot of failed attempts for even decent depth. Why?:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Bummer, I thought Adams had some potential. I guess they didn't even want to wait until TC to have the competition. I hope Smith is a baller, all 233 pounds of him at OLB.

So who do we have now at OLB - Watt, Dud, Chick, Ola, Smith and ?? Did we sign an AAF guy?

edit - we have Tuzar Skipper another Toledo OLB

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    We have thin at the position that's what we have

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Jarvis Jones was selected because he put up big numbers on a loaded college defense.
    He tested poorly at the combine. He was not selected for his SPARQ numbers. (In fact, the problems with Jones probably made the team look to emphasize athleticism more.)

Read an article that listed the pSPARQ scores for the last 5 first rounders. Edmunds, Watt, Dupree, and Shazier were in the 138-150 range, within the top 5 for their respective positions. Burns had a 111 score, and was below average (except for his 40 time).

12. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I wonder if Adams showed up in bad shape, or pissed in Tomlin's breakfast or something.

13. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Hilton hit a rough patch in weeks 8-10, but otherwise his numbers were fairly comparable to the previous season.

My view is that, while there will be individual contexts for each player, the problem has been that the defensive drafting philosophy was built around Lebeau's zone blitz. We then had that difficult transition where the zone blitz was becoming less effective, and Tomlin wanted to move to a faster, more athletic D. At that point, there was something of a limbo period for personnel. I'm not sure there was a clear vision for what the ideal LB looked like for the Steelers (aside from obvious 1st or 2nd round picks), and the same with the CB. Not to kick a dead horse, but Butler's lack of imagination in how to use the pieces given to him will have also have had an effect on this the last two years.

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Maybe he brought some burnt jiffy pop...

• Like Like x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey to be fair that does require a special skill that get it just right :smiley1:

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Burns was a terrible pick. It made perfect sense for the Steelers to trade up that year, but they didn't do it, so they settled for whoever was the highest cornerback left even though it was a little early for him. Even at the time, there were questions about his physical tools and his development. He has speed, but in other areas he doesn't have great physical tools and his mental approach is terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    can't argue much with that. I do think it was another panic pick by Colbert since ikes skills had deminished. We needed team speed on defense and I believe they looked at that over the total package. We needed an ike replacement just like we needed a shazier replacement so we will force one. We shall see.:cool:

18. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I'm hoping Allen really grows this off season. It would be great to have 2 tall corners on the roster that can actually play. Definitely make or break for all that you mentioned with the exception of maybe Red who I have being the special teams captain this year. Maybe Smith can show enough to make him expendable but we know they keep some guys for the sole purpose of specials. Of the corners my highest hope are on Allen.

19. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Why not just throw Brian Allen out there & let him screw-up before we judge him not worthy of a spot. Out of all our guys that get burned on a regular basis, if we're gonna cut Brian Allen this year the least we can do is give him an opportunity to get burned like the others. In other words I've never seen him get burned. Is he not picking up the playbook or not supporting the run better?? Why is he considered not ready or prime time??

20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I sure miss the days when we were the only team running the 34 defense. We snatched up those 250 lbs tweeners whenever we felt like it. Now you have to spend high picks for mediocre pass rushers.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I thought the same with him showing up out of shape, that seems to be Tomlins pet peeve.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I guess we have another OLB on the team...JT Jones, he's 6'1 250 and an AAF signing.

23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Could it have been a case of ....too much popcorn?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was thinking more like a case of beer

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    SB bound!!!!