1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones (HBO) - Time to jump on board

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    It still does not explain, nor excuse her killing innocents INTENTIONALLY!

If she went after the Red Keep with the thought that any innocents killed inside were acceptable losses, that's still harsh, but not cruel and evil. It's still her "snapping" and going against what she would previously have done. She didn't do that, she went about killing every man, woman and child in the city she could. This is a completely unearned 180 of character. It's right up there with Stannis.

If you want to SELL her being mad, you have her kill Tyrion for treason alongside Varys. Hell, maybe Jon too. Show her paranoia and being irrational.

After everything you listed, it was bells that did her in. L O L

2. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I'm not surprised by Dany's development here. But it should have taken another season to get her there mentally. She did indeed snap though. I think she was doing her best to contain her "madness" and she would have been ok had it not been Cersei in the end that finally broke the camel's back. What was going through her mind as she sat there perched on top of her unstoppable war machine looking at the Queen's tower? We may never know. Perhaps she was sick of being a step behind? Perhaps Tyrion was wrong about the bells. Perhaps Cersei was playing games with her and in the end would force her to burn KL down to the ground anyway. Who knows.

Hey, at least we finally got CLEGANEBOWL! And the Hype was real.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Just think of how many lives Jon could have saved by snuggling up with Aunt Dany one more time :grin:

I’m not going to debate the point. All I can say is that it made sense to me given her circumstances and family history of roasting people that she would lose control. I do think she plans to kill Jon, but wanted/needed his army. Tyrion was retained as an outlier to that storyline because he had a role with Jaime that D&D needed to have him fill. Sloppy, but oh well. Really the story of her descent into madness was sloppily handled, but the outcome made sense to me. It was her against the world, and she raged. She probably felt that calling off the attack when the bells sounded would be a sign of weakness that would undo her.

What’s going to be interesting to me is to see if she stays fully off the deep end in episode 6, or if her last vestige of humanity drives her into regret and she begs Jon to kill her instead of going after him.

4. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    Apparently, GRRM responded to this post on twitter with "This guy gets it"

[​IMG]

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    And this is why the books are far better. THIS is where I saw it going in the books.

The show once tried to allude to it by Olenna telling Dany to "be a dragon." Then went nowhere with it.

Again, the issue isn't how Dany turns out. It's how lazily they did it.

Aerys was mad. Truly mad. Paranoia, rage, delusional, cruelty for amusement's sake. He didn't just have a couple bad days and snap.

Dany deciding innocents dying is acceptable collateral damage is enough to drive the point home. Deciding not to accept surrender and completely destroy her enemies is enough. Her going out of her way to slaughter innocents is Snidely Whiplash nonsense.

Also, GRRM has not tweeted or blogged at all this week yet. So either that's old, and taking about her character progression, or it's fake and being used by a fan boy to try to defend the show. Either way, it does not support what we witnessed.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  6. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    The only rational conclusion I can come up with, without using the "Mad Queen" term to why she went to the extent that she did, is that she decided that she was never going to get the love of the people behind her and instead went for FEAR. so..... mission accomplished?

"When my dragons are grown, we will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who wronged me! We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground!

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm even cool with that. She's taken ruthlessness to a new level.

Not going cray cray in the 11th hour. Frankly, her NOT being mad makes her even more dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The fact that she was roasting her own armies as well, and they were too stupid to get out of the way. The Northerners after fighting the army of the dead, become bloodthirsty rapists? I can buy the blood-thirst as some of these guys remember how they got here and the Red Wedding and all, but to turn into the slaughter of women and children is a huge leap.

What the hell was Jamie's point? Why is he hiding from his own men? We're just gonna have him fight Euron and make it to Cersei so that they can run into some of the worst looking piled up bricks I've seen in a film.

As soon as I saw Euron's ship explode my wife and I said at the same time "we'll see him again". Then Blammo! He shows up exactly where Jamie is on the beach (in a smugglers cove no less) just to brag about having sex with Cersei and engage in a totally dumb fight, just to stab him a few times that you know he's not going to die from.

Arya gets the Looney Toons treatment running from exploding wall and falling rocks over and over so that we see what's going on in the city. About the second time they pulled it on her I figured she wasn't going to die because she was our eyes in the city.

Tyrion is a moron!

Clegane Bowl was ok if you get past the fact that Big brother can't be killed by a brain shot either...or the slow eye gouge that allowed it. Would have loved there to be some fire around that he could see while they were fighting and that would have made his decision at the end a little more premeditated and impactful.

As a spectacle I thought it was pretty good, but that was about it. Some of the fight choreography was just laughable. Makes sense why they had Winterfell so dark. I saw a few guys just running and swinging a sword at nothing, then falling down.

I'm pretty sure that the books might come to the same conclusion for most of these characters, just in a more nuanced way. I'm pretty sure that GRRM has said that we won't find the ending very satisfying in a traditional sense either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
  10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Hmmmm... that sound thingy isn't playing for me.

But since I'm here, I found this to be pretty telling, and pretty funny.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pig Iron

Pig Iron New Member

Sep 8, 2013

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't venture out of Steelers Talk much but noticed this thread. First, I'm not admitting that I watch this show. Second, I'm glad that many of you seem to have struggled with this as much as I have. Third, I have no idea what you guys are talking about here because I don't watch this stuff!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    1aybpbdewyy21.jpg 237gebu49ty21.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Once more into the breach. It's not like we don't want to like the show.

But come on with the writing. Jon's lines have essentially been "She's my Queen" or "You're my Queen" for every episode this year. I'm guessing he didn't have to work on his lines much...Can we have some realistic dialog between them? Like "Dany we can't or shouldn't because you're my aunt"?

When you have a show that you need to speed along, you're going to have to provide a little information to the viewers about what's going on in the characters heads. Dialog or internal monolog would have gone a great deal into making what they gave us better.

They didn't have the time to develop a relationship, so they needed to tell that story through the characters. Not once did Dany have that sitdown with Missande and discuss their feelings about relationships. (over the last few seasons) If they would have shown her confiding in her more, maybe we see her snapping when she was killed as an earned moment. Along with the Jon relationship. They give us a few kisses and 2 sex scenes and say "Look they're in love!"

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    (Stolen from elsewhere, but fitting just the same)

I'm probably not going to even bother watching the finale tonight.

1v5l34q7q0z21.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Once more for the people in the back:

cscmvvml6ty21.jpg

d36dcielh6z21.png

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    333iHd83mPycoFcdT8Y6fxXnbQ9hJJCKI_ea9WU1pW4.jpg wng1jr82w6z21.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  19. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    If you think I'm going overboard now, just wait until you see the ****show that happens tonight. :D (Unfortunately, I've known how this all ends for a couple months now. I thought it was BS and a joke, but it's now clear the leak was true. I'm holding out hope that not all of the info was known, and they kept a twist scene or 2 secret. But as Wesley would say in The Princess Bride, "get used to disappointment.")

8hwj0am4yxx21.jpg w0CCRN7Aw9ZWmpjfmOwYesiYWcK0glxAQuSX7a6v9L8.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    so @Ray D just reading between the lines....

you would want to line up the writers and say...."Dracarys" :lolol:

22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    No. Maybe a wag of the finger and have the shame lady follow them around for a year.

And keep them FAR away from Star Wars.

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, that sucked. We waited two years for this season of pathetic, garbage writing. Tonight was one hell of a capstone to that stinking pile of :poopy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Didn't think I'd get spoiled by Cam's Twitter feed though....

Being in Japan is hard. I wait to watch it until the wife comes home and the boys are asleep. So it's already Monday night by the time I get to watch it.