1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Washington can he be the #2 WR?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 9, 2019.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My goodness, the Steelers have paid #7 above and beyond the call of duty.
    #7 should meet/bring these receivers together at #7 cost and get them to understand how
    he wants them too be in the right place at the right time. If he wants to make a family vacation of this
    than so be it. My God he is a multi millionaire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Sadly Ben is just learning about preparation, too much god given talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He’s done it in the past. Calm down it’ll happen.

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I must have missed that news where Ben put extra time in with JW. I know JW said Ben talked to him and that helped him after the Denver game but I didn't read where Ben put extra time in. If he did what took so long, man if he would have done that in the beginning of the year.

I hope Ben works with these guys this year cause like I said in my post earlier there is a whole new group here he needs to get on board with. There is a lot of talent and no need to focus on just one guy imo.

"I think my production went up after that talk. I was able to be more relaxed and play the game that I’ve being doing since I was a kid. It was good to have that talk. He hadn’t given up on me, because in my eyes it had felt like that. When he told me that it was like a second lung. Every day he challenged me. It was like he gave me tough love. He explained things to me. And he kept believing. I appreciated it.”

Indeed, Washington's production did increase following his discussion with Roethlisberger. Over the final four weeks of the season, he brought in another eight receptions but reached 140 total yards. This included a three-catch, 65-yard performance during an upset victory over the Patriots. Washington didn't log any receptions during week 16's loss to the Saints, but he added another 64 yards in the season finale against the Bengals.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm predicting a 40 catch year with 600 to 800 yards from Washington this year. I have confidence he will continue to get better.

I am excited about Ben being able to spread the ball around this year. Think there are some weapons on this team which should be interesting to see how they work together.

I've become a big Switzer fan also. This guy is going to continue to make big plays I think.

It would definitely be warranted to have a mini Ben camp with him and his WRs. They can call it "Ben's Daycare center - where to bring the kids".. kidding

They should all bunk in the same bed and send a message to Antonio to show him good team work. This message is brought to you by Michael Jackson << kidding again

In all seriousness, it would be a good idea for him to have a couple of weeks to work with them exclusively. Everyone could bring their families along excluding Antonio's kids so he can get to know them. << kidding again.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I agree 100% about Ben getting together with his WR's but do you think that will happen? I am gonna guess not since JW is working with Mason in the off season, wouldn't/shouldn't he be working with the starting QB? I have said it in a few of my posts this is a new group of WR's and since last year many blamed JW's struggles on him and Ben not being on the same page how is that gonna work out with now Moncreif and DJ here for the first time?

There are a lot of weapons/options on this team I agree Ben should have no problem finding an open guy right?

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Working with MR and JD is part of the routine though. Tuesday is an off day, Wednesday is Ben's day so by Thursday they haven't worked with the starting QB at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Ben gets more time at home than he would ever get in a regular job, he gets the whole off season at home and he goes home after every practice and gets paid 30 M to do it, maybe if he spent more extra time at practice with his receivers and less time at home we might be a better offense this year...........

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It was in one of those chats with the beat writers, IIRC.

I'm glad Washington came out and set the record straight.

Here's more on it:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/j...from-ben-roethlisberger-during-rookie-season/

10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben's going to be shooting up stadiums this year & forcing big plays down everyone's throat. These kids need to step up & join the drama.
    Moncrief & Vance need to stay healthy
    JuJu was ABs replacement not Coates or "minds."
    Big shootout for the #3 wr this year in training camp.
    Step up & Ben makes you an all-star, smh on this Bad Ben nonsense.

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The talk and the extra time were one in the same.
    Washington did mention working out with Mason Ruldolph during the off season.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes but I think we are talking before the season not during. With this new group of WR it would be nice to see a little extra work.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Great article but where does it say he put the extra time in? Yeah Ben talked to him but that's it, talking and doing are 2 different things. If Ben and JW had problems being on the same page isn't Ben gonna have the same problem with DJ and Moncrief if he don't work extra with him?

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So he didn't do anything extra except talk to JW.........I guess IMO I would have thought he would be talking to him all season bringing him alone. Heck what do I know, lol!:shrug:

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Not in this video (from the link above): https://www.steelers.com/video/face-time-with-washington-x4095

Washington does say the conversation with Ben helped him.
    I was more surprised by Washington saying he was working with Mason during the off season and he relies on him for support (paraphrase).
    That site is full of short interviews with a lot of the players and coaches, it's worth a look.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I said I felt that I had read that in the weekly chats possibly.

The article I linked was just more of what you had posted. It's good that JW has the mental fortitude to handle some tough love. Not like crybabies AB and Bell.

And no, why? He clicked with JuJu right away. Everyone is different.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Oh ok not what I read but anyways he clicked with Juju cause Ab was on the other side. I know your pissed at AB and so am I but there is no denying how good of a WR AB was and how much that opened the door for Juju right? You are right everyone is different I just am worried with the new faces in our WR group and the chemistry Ben will have with them. You know me I am a JW fan and I want to see him do well and also feel he can be the #2.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Now we sign holten. We only have so many spots. :cool:

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If JuJu clicked with Ben because AB was on the other side then why didn't Washington benefit from having two top receivers on the field along with him? JuJu is a better WR and got acclimated to the NFL easier than Washington did. For some players it takes longer. I suspect the game will slow down for Washington going into year two and have a better year.

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well that is because the limited options JW had, I for one am not the guy saying JW and Ben didn't click. JW got very few options with AB and Juju out there and rightfully so but now we are adding in 2 new WR's and losing one of if not the best WR in the game that will matter. I would love to see Ben put the extra time in with these guys but I don't think that will happen. People can say what they want about AB but him and Ben were toghter a long time and they knew each other, that is gone and now Juju is the "vet" going into his 3rd year with Ben.

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    By options, do you mean looks or targets? Yes, I'm sure having so many other weapons on the field limited Washington's targets, but I think it is fair to assume he wasn't getting open enough, either. When a receiver is getting that many snaps and not doing anything with them, that's on him, too.

Washington has a long way to go from last season. On the plus side, going from the first to second season is often a time when players do take a big step forward. I'm certainly not ready to label Washington a bust based on just one season, but it is fair to be disappointed by what we have seen so far.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I mean both, you had AB, Juju, Vance and Conner all getting looks and targets well ahead of JW. I am not gonna sit here and say JW is some great WR or that it was Ben's fault, that is not my motive. I don't think it is fair to assume that he wasn't getting open enough without really going back and seeing all his plays. Heck I was trying to find his 25 targets after the Denver debacle to see if the 8-25 was on him or not but I didn't do it. There just isn't enough ball to go around to get your 4th-5th-6th option/weapon into sync. jmo

As for JW needing to take the next step he has to be given the chance and just going off how he ended the season I am pretty confident him and Ben will be on the same page. Like I said so many weapons on this team last year how can anyone consider the 5th option/weapon on this team a bust? Juju did not have this problem cause he stepped right in and was the #2 WR. This year JW will/could be the #2 and then we will get a chance to see what he can do imo......but he needs that chance and he has to produce when given it.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    We'll have to agree to disagree on part of that. Washington was on the field a lot. I get that Brown and Smith-Schuster got most of the targets, but for Washington to do so little, I don't think you can assume he was open very often.

The other receivers should get plenty of chances this year. The offense lost 168 targets when Brown was traded. Hopefully, they will run a little more this season, but still, most of those targets have to go somewhere else.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes sir I agree to disagree I do see your point and don't disagree but I also feel there is also another side of it as well. I keep reading by many on here how Ben forced the ball to AB, if that was the case it wouldn't matter if JW was open or not right? I mean if people are gonna blame AB for Ben forcing the ball then the same people shouldn't point out the lack of production from JW, right?

You bring up a great point on the 168 targets and that is why I am saying I wish Ben would work with these new faces more this off season. Juju can't step up and take them targets he was pretty close to that already and if we target him more isn't that forcing the ball to him then? We need to either throw less or get these new guys in and on the same page as Ben, I think JW is on the right path but there are 2 other brand new faces that could see a big amount of them 18 targets as well in Moncrief and DJ.

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Moncrief will be the #2 to start. Solid veteran with big play capabilities, just needs to stay healthy. A more reliable M. Bryant (better hands) if he can stay on the field.

I think JW needs more route running prep, expanding his route tree effectiveness. The kid does have some great hands, so maybe he can work his way into the #2 spot.