1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Poised for Committee Approach at Running Back

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 8, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Last season Ridley was the #2 RB, there's a big difference between Snell and that scrub Ridley :shrug:.

2. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Because his fumbles helped lead to them tying the Browns, and losing to Denver. Compared to Bell I don't recall him having any crucial fumbles.

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Hardly a like for like comparison. Elliot is probably the best back in the league and the drop in production when Dallas put in their back ups is stark. He is also extremely tough and rarely injured. Of course you run him hard. Interestingly Dallas also drafted a back in the fourth this year.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I went back and reviewed the two games you mentioned because while I was sure that the fumbles weren't bad mechanics or him taking risks I wanted to make sure. The Browns fumble was the combination of rain and not feeling the pressure coming behind him. The Broncos fumble was a fluke play where he is hit and for whatever reason the ball came out of his grasp. These aren't the result of him holding it like a loaf of bread or taking risks. It's funny that you say that his fumbles led to them tying the Browns and losing in Denver. In watching the highlights again I'm sorry to say it looks more like Ben's interceptions in both those games is what led to a tie and a loss. In the Browns game he tries to force it to Brown twice once when he is surrounded by three Browns players and one badly thrown ball on a deep route. Another is when he tries to force it to Jesse James and its deflected. The one Brown interception was in the red zone. Same thing in the Bronco's game Ben trying to force throws to Brown took points off the board especially at the end of the game at the goal line.

Whats really interesting is looking at Juju and watching him work. The people saying he is benefiting from AB getting all teh attention in coverage might want to go back and look at some of those catches. There are times he is fighting off press coverage with safety help over the top and others where he is taking balls over the middle in a zone and making guys chase him after the catch. He is doing a lot a against some tough coverage.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry Thorn but the Denver fumble was all on Conner. No excuse for fumbling that ball. Holding it away from his body and looked like he tried to leap that defender, not really sure what he was doing.

JuJu I agree with 100%. Last year was only his second season, he is going to be one of the best in the game. I'll say it right now, he'll have a better season than AB will.

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not trying to make an excuse I'm saying that it wasn't indicative of sloppy mechanics or risky behavior.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Look where the ball is when it pops out and he leaps for no reason. I think it was both sloppy and risky, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If Fichtner/ Tomlin could reel in Ben. And the OL blocks well
    we have the RB's that could wear teams down. Conner 233, Snell 225, Samuels, 230 Ouch if I am tackling
    these guys. I hope for a much better run/pass ratio this year. I/ defense is tired of Ben throwing
    over 15 int's a year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Without AB on the team, hopefully Ben isn't forcing the ball to one player, and his ints will go down.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. He fumbled while taking a hit to his lower body. That's all on Conner not protecting the ball well enough. I don't even understand how that is an argument.

The fumble against the Browns was sloppy, too. You have to understand the situation. The Steelers had a 14-point lead in the fourth quarter. They were in complete control of the game and he opened the door for the comeback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Nobody is saying teams ignored him or that Smith-Schuster wasn't great last year, but his job was absolutely made easier by the presence of Brown. It's going to be a lot easier for defenses to focus on taking him away. Teams are going to force Roethlisberger to throw the ball elsewhere. If anything, I think you may see more of Roethlisberger forcing the ball to one guy, not less, because Smith-Schuster is so much better than the other receivers on the team.

12. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    We heard a lot that Mike Wallace was helping AB when Mike Wallace was still a steelers.

Yes, the coverage could be different for Juju, but the key is going to be the other players of this offense for not the opposing defenses focus only on one player on this offense, otherwise we are in trouble ..... Every offense would be in trouble if a team only have one weapon ... Just to look at the New York City Giants with OBJ in the last couple years.It was brutal to watch!

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Our receivers blocking will be key to our run game. Juju does well I'm not sure about the others. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Conner averaged less than 17 rushes a game. Bell about 21. Parker was also around 21. Tomlin has never run the wheels off of any back. That comment is pure :bscow:

At 17 a game a back is barely getting warmed up. If anything, Conner should be used more.

Now people want to take the ball away from Ben and JuJu and put it in the hands of an unproven rookie? Brilliant.

And people say Tomlin doesn’t know what he’s talking about?

This ought to stir a few turds.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

Only 3 RB in the NFL last year had over 17 run per game.

It's not just the number of run ..... It's also the number of touch(run and catch) and snap.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So you are saying no running backs are having the wheels run off? Ok, I’m with you.

If a back averages 4.2 yards per carry that’s good. Multiply that by 17 and you get 71 yards rushing per game. That’s pathetic for a running back.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You need to be really selfless to be a part of RB by committee. Conner gets 71, Snell 53 and Samuel 39 and then you have 163 yards on the ground. Pretty good day but lousy for personal stats.

I'm all for it if it works. Keep Bens pass attempts down and hopefully interceptions and have a more balanced attack.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He can force the ball more to Vance, I think he had 50 catches last season, get him up to 70-75 if the new WRs are slow to connect with Ben.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s the if it works part. Most backs need to get into a groove. And do the yards per attempt remain constant or drop with numbers 2 & 3?

Now, if we are up by 10 and Snell can pound out the clock, life is good.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Saints are probably the best example in recent years with Kamara and Ingram.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was thinking more like how NE used Michel, Burkman and White. Conner would get the bulk of the attempts like Michel and Samuel and Snell getting limited work like Burkman and White. I could see that being the game plan.

Although I like the thought of Conner playing Ingrams roll and Samuel as Kamara. Then I'd mix in Snell for short yardage and goal line work. Or maybe as fresh legs to close games out on tired defenses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If you look at the statistics, 38 passes and below, the Steelers win percentage goes way up.
    Run the ball, open up play action passing. Ben has less opportunity to make bone headed plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The backs averaged about 20-25 touches per game. Run pass mix. The wrs about the same. The tes only about 5 per game. :cool:

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Do you think the win percentage goes up if they reduce passes or are they reducing passes because they are winning?

I agree about the PA but I saw a statistic on how lousy Ben is at running the PA.