1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Washington can he be the #2 WR?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 9, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Moncrief will be the #2. Let Washington and Johnson battle it out for #3.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Glad to hear he is progressing in terms of his conditioning! He will definitely need it. Here is hoping that "Sophomore Explosion" can happen. :herewego:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It worked for Bell and Conner, they both got into better shape and was more productive in their second season.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He showed his skills in the preseason and just needed to adjust to actual game speed in the regular season. I think he will definitely be in the equation moving forward and Ben will get more comfortable with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

No doubt! People tend to forget that, depending on the player, an offseason cam make more of a difference than others give it credit for. To me, James can become far greater.

Again and, I cannot stress this enough, arduous upbringings can develop and mature players more rapidly should that players intensity match that desire. James has both to me. In addition, while not as successful via the information like the Bronco Nagurski Award, the Fred Biletnikoff Award is not some "hand me down" award either.

Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson are the most notable as all are locks for Canton or in via Moss. The other successful ones who have played or are currently playing?!

Golden Tate

Amari Cooper

Braylon Edwards

Brandon Cooks

That is a pretty good list.

7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Moncrief no. 2 for me. If Washington has a breakout year then better again. He has the ability so fingers crossed.

I don’t expect to see much of Johnson on offence he will probably play on special teams mostly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would think Moncrief just from an experience standpoint but really its up for grabs.

One of the positions I'm most interested in watching during training camp. See who emerges.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd be concerned that Monroe will end up being more Lance Moore than Jericho Cotchery for Ben. Not that there is anything wrong with Moore just he never clicked with Ben.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm cautiously optimistic that Moncrief is going to be very good with us. He was never really able to click with Luck due to his own injuries or Lucks and he put up around 700 yards last year with Bortles. I think he could take off with Ben. Hoping anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Washington showed well towards the end of the season. Moncrief should be 2 but whomever it is better latch on quickly with Ben or juju will suffer. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm thinking it's going to be some "us" against the world bonding on the team this year and they will close ranks and the social media stuff will disappear

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Me too thorn. I have a good feeling about this team and it's closeness.:cool:

14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Careful Mac, you might be tempting delusion with your optimism which would amuse certain people!

• Like Like x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have been a Washington fan since day 1 that is no secret. However last year there just wasn't enough balls to go around with AB, Juju, Vance and Conner all big time players. Washington was left with the scraps and imo unfortunate criticism. As the year went on and after the Denver game debacle JW and Ben got on the same page and his numbers went up. I am hoping with AB gone JW will get more reps and you will see his production grow.

As far as Moncrief goes he has talent however his injuries scare me. I think no matter what happens a 1-4 of Juju, JW, Moncrief and DJ is gonna be a nice combo of weapons.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think part of it depends how they want to use Smith-Schuster. I think the ideal would be Moncrief and Washington on the outside with Smith-Schuster in the slot when they go with three.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    That's going to be very interesting on how they use them 3. One thing I know is that we are going to need Washington to come thru this year. Moncrief will be okay but hasn't shown he consistently can be that no. 2 guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Higher percentage opportunities will result in greater production.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If he gets on the same page as #7 he can be. His work ethic will make him productive.
    Ben should bring these young receivers and veterans together for passing camps
    and explain his strong points and what and where he expects his receivers to be.
    I am not sure this is legal under the CBA?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Exactly, Ben has something right now that he hasn't had in a long time a bunch of new young receivers. How can JW get on the same page when the only person he works out with is Mason?

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/james-washington-plans-to-work-with-mason-rudolph-this-offseason/

IMO Ben needs to step up and get on the same page with these guys or we are going to see more of what we saw between Ben and JW last year with this new group of guys. Think about this Juju is the veteran of this group and he is just entering his 3rd year. Before all the Ben blowers get their panties in a bunch this isn't a knock on Ben this is just straight up reality. Last season the the reason for JW's low production from many was they weren't on the same page well now we have a whole new group here. We lost a ton of production you just don't replace that with a draft pick or a FA signing you also have to put the work in as well. jmo

• Like Like x 1
  22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agreed with Ben being on the same page with Washington, hell Ben had to always look at AB first or he would get pissed. JuJu was usually his second look, and if those two weren't open he usually dumped off to the backs or slot receivers. There were many times Ben didn't even look at Washington or Jesie James. That has to change now with AB gone and Ben needs to look at all his receivers and be on the same page right out of the gate. Another reason Ben should play a little more in preseason.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Players can work together all they want as long as they organize it, and not the team. I’ll just say this - if Ben doesn’t do that, fans should be understanding. He has a family, and once camp, and especially the season start up, he’s going to be away from them a whole lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He's done it before, see if he does this year. I know he put in extra time with Washington last year after he made those comments.

I think he probably will. Never worked with Moncrief before, Johnson is a rookie and he and Washington could use more work together.

25. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1