1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sutton Smith's Motor

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, May 5, 2019.

1. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    and Harrison was still better then Dupree even at the end of his stay. Not playing him because of his attitude is one thing but he was then and probable today better in pass rushing and run defense then Dupree. I 'll give Dupree the edge in pass coverage the last couple of years but not in his prime. Did we forget the most amazing interception and return in Super Bowl history. And may I say Dupree still stinks and not worth the 9+million.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Is that a trick question? Thank goodness NE didn't have JH in his prime :fright:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Preach! Also if JH not playing was due to his "antics" . Why was he not immediately released because of those "antics" . They weren't gonna play him anyway right? What kind of example does a organization set when a guy is supposedly sleeping in meetings,isn't being used at all ,yet he was refused his release that he was asking for. He wasn't good enough to barely get a snap. Somehow he was valuable enough to keep though,even sleeping in meetings. Hmmmmm......something doesn't add up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    * Is

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    This is what the coaches were doing and Deebo wasn't having it!!! He wanted more snaps and thought he was the better player deserved more snaps.

Cajun

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    92 wasn't what he was anymore. Situationally as was expressed in the KC game mention he still had it when needed. Against the Bears when his side was getting demolished by the run that game, you insert him to set the edge or provide a atleast attempt to provide a spark of some type. For whatever reason, this team refuses to try to find a spark personnel wise. It's asinine at times but damn you gotta try it here and there. I said this much that season. Arguement was JH is a liability against the pass in his assigned zone. I agree but the Bears were demolishing chick via the run on that side of the field. Take that away and live with the pass if it comes... Disrupt the momentum ya dig?

It's the presumed refusal to adjust that kills me year in and out. Even if it's only for a series, throw a wrench into the oppositions plans. Urgency man! Hahahahaha

I know lets trot a 30% healthy Big Ben out on the field to further compound on his injuries as opposed to trotting out Chuck a time or two over the years. I'm sure every team's fans say the same **** but damn it's asinine at times.

Hell, maybe James wasn't dressed that day but I'm pretty sure I remember he was against the Bears and could not eFF'ing believe that they didn't throw him in to atleast try keep that side of the field honest against the run nonetheless.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    The thing is Dupree can cover really well as an OLB, and JH92 couldn't. Our scheme at the time was having our backers cover a bit and he was a liability. The thing deebo CAN do, even then was limited due to his age. He just showed more penetration as a pass rusher over Bud. how sad lol

Prime Deebo vs any offensive lineman 1v1 he would destroy them or get held... and still sack the qb. heck he just received a fine from that thought

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I was one who thought he should have been getting some snaps. It turns out he probably didn’t deserve any based on not only his attitude, but his level of play.

• Like Like x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He must of be so good that other teams fear him because considering they/ he uses the excuse that he doesn't get sacks because he drops in coverage so much. It would be the only thing that could explain his 1 career INT and 6 career PDs

11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Harsh lol

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This is as good a breakdown of Bud as I've seen. He's never going to be good at rushing the passer until he learns to play with leverage and improved hand usage but the area that earned him that 9 million is his ability to drop into coverage, he's very good at that and the Steelers obviously value that.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...onsistent-in-pass-rush-packers-nfl-news-video

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Reality....

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I remember reading that article after the preseason game vs the Packers last year.
    I didn't believe it then, and I don't believe it now.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Do you believe your own eyes? Because there are film clips to go along with the breakdown. Or if its the sample size that bothers you, you can purchase the coaches film at NFL.com and watch as much as you like.

I get the knocks against his pass rushing, its justified but I don't get this acting like he does nothing well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Didn’t you know they’re only paying him 9 million because they don’t want to admit they made a mistake in drafting him in the first place?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Excuses,excuses. Funny how TJ was 2nd in the NFL in coverage snaps for edge rushers(PFF) .....yet he was able to more than double Duds sack totals. Had the same amount of PDs and 6 to 1 FFs. Beaten in every statistical category and had to switch sides because Dud was even worse over there. The Steelers typically drop their ROLB more often than the LOLB yet Dud is so proficient at it TJ still dropped more...:hmm: If Dud is a 9 million dollar player then TJ is worth 18. They can write all the articles they want to defend him. I'll go by what I see for myself. The fact that the likes of Colbert and Butler have to come out and defend him all the time and claim they still have " minute" things to clean up going into his 5 th year tells me all I need to know.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Tj watt was tied for 2nd in sacks and force fumbles as a linebacker, and that is without help from the other side lol. he's pretty good

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure what excuses you are talking about. The article points out that he is a poor pass rusher but good at dropping into coverage.

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The excuse that he's a poor excuse for a Steeler OLB and their tradition of having some damn good ones. Which he is not.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I've seen the film. I've rewatched many games in the all 22 format, concentrating on just Dupree. I've commented on his lack of performance in every game day thread over the last 3 seasons.
    From the article you posted:
    "Overall, Bud Dupree is a very inconsistent player as a whole."
    " his coverage skills make up somewhat for his lackluster impact in the pass-rush"
    Not exactly a ringing endorsement from the writer either.

• Like Like x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I never stated that. I would never pretend to know what the Steelers are thinking on any of their decisions.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually the writer was making the endorsement for Buds pass coverage abilities but that he is inconsistent as a pass rusher. Top tackles in the league neutralize him but his athleticism gets him by the lesser tackles in the league.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If he’s not good at pass rush, but they value the coverage, why not spend the $9mm on a really good safety?

• Like Like x 1
  25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I know. I read the article almost a year ago and I didn't believe it then, and I don't believe it now.;+)

• Agree Agree x 1