1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Bud Dupree is going to have a new contract before the season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 10, 2019.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Colbert and Tomlin like Dupree, enough to pay him 9 million for the 2019 season, so do you think Dupree is going to have an contract extension before the season?

2. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Another reason why Tomlin shouldn't be here

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think the team like Bud more than the fans do, but at the same time they acknowledge that he needs to improve.

With the coaching change at OLB he may perform better in 2019 and the team probably sees it as a ‘prove it’ season.

I think he will be offered a contract either way but the offer will be commensurate with his production in 2019. To date he has not been bad enough to cut, not is he good enough to commit to long term.

If he was a second or third rounder he would probably be let go, there is a certain amount of saving face with a first round pick, especially given that Burns is not having his option picked up.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    How is the coaching change going to do that much to help Dupree? They got rid of their outside linebackers coach and turned those responsibilities over to the defensive coordinator. If Butler could have helped Dupree, wouldn't that have happened already?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Smitch89

Sep 11, 2018
    If he was a second or third rounder he would be more of a candidate to stay because his producion matches more of a third rounder and he'd be thought less of a failure than being the first round bust that he is

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is the problem in a nutshell.

Dupree is getting 9m because there was no reason for him to sign a different contract and get less; and the Steelers had neither the depth nor the starters to let him go, given the needs at other positions. It sucks, but it's where we are.

He's not Jarvis Jones bad, and a lot of the expectations from fans come from that first round status, which for me is a lot less meaningful at this stage in his career. But barring a mega year this year, or disaster somewhere else (another career ending injury at a key position), I suspect we'll let him go.

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    If Dupree had Jason Worilds or Clark Haggans production... I'd be happy. Then, Dupree would deserve a middle-of-the-road 2nd contract for an OLB. But he's a first rounder... not a 2nd round pick like Worilds and 5th round pick like Haggans. Steelers got their money's worth from Worilds and Haggans... but they are getting ripped off $9m for Dupree.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Bud = 20 sacks and 2 force fumbles in 4 years
    TJ = 20 sacks and 7 force fumbles in 2 years lol

• Like Like x 2
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Not really. Personally, I believe that, good season or not, Dupree prices himself out of Pittsburgh anyway. The pass rushing market is too inflated for the middle of the road pass rushers as it stands.

If anything, Pittsburgh is better off acquiring an EDGE for next seasons draft. Free Agency is also an option but seldom does Pittsburgh splurge. Either those two or bank on Ola Adenyi to colossally improve in year two.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It would depend on the level of involvement that Butler had with his position coaches. Coach Mitchell was a long time position coach and I'm sure Butler trusted him to mold the Dline and didn't interfere. Butler was a very good LB coach before he was elevated, Porter had one year of experience when he was hired. I think his philosophy or approach differs from Butler's. So if Bud doesn't improve that will show how much input Butler had in Porter's group and that Bud has hit his ceiling.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I hear what you're saying but if things were so " minute" as Butler did explain( excuses)it seems to me it would probably be a easy and quick fix. So " minute" that a Chuck Smith and a Von Miller camp couldn't fix? The problem with Dupree is he can't convert speed to power and he no counter move other than try to run around the Tackle or a coverage type sack. My other problem with him is I don't think he's gritty enough as a football player. If he can't win with athleticism he's pretty useless. I've seen plenty of times with my own eyes his lack of putting his nose in the fan so to speak. He's a athlete,not a football player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I also here what your saying, but you would think That with 4 years on the team playing the same position he would improve much more than he has. Even with Butler overseeing the defense he would have some input on Dupree in the 4 years. It's not that he is not trying as he did try to get help with the Von Miller camp but shown little improvement. I also agree that he dose not like to stick his nose in heavy contact. He does have all the tools but not a tough football player as he should be at that position and a 1st round pick.

13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Thorn has dealt with that but just to add I think Butlers overall role has been diluted and he may spend more time than many expect working with the OLB’s. Let’s see if he can get more out of Bud.

Agree with Heinz that if they are only offering him a middle of the road deal somebody else will offer more in FA and he will leave. If he doesn’t improve in 2019 it’s not worth paying him anyway and they will have to go to the draft again.

It’s seems like they are always using their first round pick on linebackers and the issues refuse to go away.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well based on those numbers .....he definitely deserves a new contract........with another team:roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If I'm Bud, I take the $9m this year, and get what I can as an FA next yr. that has to be a better situation than than a new contract with PGH at lower 2019 salary, and likely with limited guarantees going fwd. if the Steelers cut him, he's likely to get a contract elsewhere more/less in line whatever the extension would be here.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn’t think they’d give him a new contract now. Think he is on a prove it deal. See if those things Butler alluded too can be ironed out.

Just because I pointed out he drops into coverage well doesn’t mean I think that’s enough for him to stick around.

Watt does both well and I’m sure that’s the Steelers preference also, a LB that can do both.

Then again, they do seem to really like Bud and maybe their thinking is they generate enough sacks elsewhere. If they value his coverage ability that much I won’t be shocked to see him stick around past this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I read somewhere that they tried to get s new contract with him before the $9mm kicked in. So it sure isn’t happening now.

I also read the $9mm is now guaranteed, so he sure isn’t being cut either.

It is what it is.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    No. The team’s $9.2 million commitment for 2019 is pretty minor in the overall scheme of things when compared to what other starting EDGEs got this offseason. A long-term contract at the price of a starting EDGE is another matter entirely. As others have stated, I think this is a prove it year for Bud. If he blossoms, the team will need to figure out whether to find a way to retain him or let him walk. They can always do the tag dance (though I personally hate going that route).

Here’s my view on the “what if Bud breaks out” scenario. From everything I’ve read over the years, it seems that Bud is a good teammate and good worker. If he blossoms in a contract year, I wouldn’t be that concerned over him being a one year wonder. If the light goes on for him, I think it’s more likely than not that he will have a few seasons at that level. Having to figure out how to keep him after a great season would be a good problem to have.

• Like Like x 3
  19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Usually the player gets the money after a successful 'prove it year', not before.

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The same could of been said about Tuitt and he hasn't exactly lived up to his deal. One would surely expect Dupree to be at his best this year with a new contract looming but the same could of been said about last year as well. Some of the questions are.....what do they expect in performance to rationally justify a mult year contract and how much will anyone else be given a chance to see what they can do?

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    $9.2 million is a pretty small financial outlay compared to what starting EDGEs got this offseason. I don’t like that we are paying even that much, and have said so in numerous other threads criticizing the decision. However, it’s not a ton of money and it’s only a 1 year commitment. If he had gotten (or gets) a fat long-term contract before the season, that would be a hell of a lot worse.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You just said it right there and it’s a short sided way of thinking. Because he’s a first round pick the fans expect more, but if he was a UDFA the guy would be a hero. Forget where he was drafted and forget what he makes after all it’s not coming out of your pocket.
    The team believes he offers value and that’s all that matters.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I was originally ok with giving him a three year deal at 6 million or so per year. I was thinking that would help free up some cap space, but now it looks like we don’t need to.

24. Smitch89

Sep 11, 2018
    Nobody would think he's a hero no matter where he was drafted so cool it on that lol.. It does matter where your drafted.. Your supposed to hit on your first rounders.. That's why they get paid more.. They haven't done so for awhile now

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Dud needs to be allpro at $9.2mil. I just don't see it happening.