1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think it's possible that Tomlin does not have a new contract extension before the season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 6, 2019.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Again I think AR2 and Tomlin have had several long conversations about his coaching. Tomlin had a lot of success early and with the veterans he had they kinda reinforced his belief that his methods were working and championship caliber. As theyou got more star players and fewer veterans of the SB runs his methods of treating grown men like men worked less and less for the divas on the team. I seriously think he has taken stock of what he thought was working and going forward will change certain things he does. I think he and management will have an understanding that the contract can wait and he wants to prove that he can turn things around.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Keep in mind Ben is under contract thru 2021, so if there's a new HC in 2021 he might retire, instead of sticking around to play 1 last season under a new HC.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Normally I would agree but we seem to base a coaches tenure on his contract situation,whether they are performing or not. With all the drama and the turmoil and underachieving it would make more sense to see if he could turn it around before they commit to more years. Once he's extended he's gonna see the end of that contract whether he deserves it or not. There is a track record,a long one.

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    So many fans of other teams from outside of Pittsburgh think we're crazy for criticizing MT the way some of us do. I continually tell people that he should have been replaced a few seasons back but the reality is that he does have a very good regular season record and there isn't a replacement out there that will warrant such change at his given time. I can live with Tomlin being coach for this season but it is time to take it to the next level again which I'm not sure he will be able to do this season. If he does it will certainly be with less talent than he has had in the not too distant past.

I do see him getting an extension before the season starts but it will be with some precise stipulations.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    It is confirmed...MT is getting an extension. I turned the job down today because I have to coach little league softball for my daughter. Sorry guys, I was going to turn this franchise around. :cry:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Mike Tomlin = Dan Bylsma

They won a championship early in their career, but after they won nothing special in the playoffs ...... They have good stats like the win-loss record in the regular season, but the context is important ..... Their teams had a lot of talent.

The difference, that even if it was a little late Mario Lemieux fired Bylsma and a few years later, they won back-to-back Stanley Cup.

For the steelers, Tomlin is an untouchable ....

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have heard talk behind the scenes that Mary jos dad is being considered for your spot if you fail to make the playoffs this year. I think it was on Sirius radio or somewhere like that. I will try to find the link.:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I've made this comparison more times than I care to remember but now I'm starting to worry about Mike Sullivan. In relation to this if the city of Boston wins a third championship in a row I'm gonna puke.

11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    The difference is that the Rooney's have been too risk averse for their own good.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’d rather cross that bridge after the season. There’s some really good, and really bad in Tomlin’s recent history. In 2016, going from 4-5 to 11-5, and then winning 2 playoff games. Great. That can’t happen without the head coach doing a very solid job of leading. 2017, going 13-3 with so many close wins, great; going one and done at home in the postseason - and after running his mouth about how people can’t wait to watch the Steelers vs Patriots rematch, awful. 2018, winning 6 straight to overcome a 1-2-1 start, great. Faltering after being 7-2-1... awful. Making a win vs. the Pats mean nothing...:frustrated:. allowing the inmates to run the asylum...:puking 3:

His recent record is too Jekyll and Hyde to make a decision before the decision needs to be made IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    After what has transpired lately with this team there really is no reason to rush a extension. I know you usually don't want a HC in a lame duck situation but given the unusual circumstances ,that should be the exact path they should take. What is Tomlin gonna get mad at the end of the season and quit? So be it.
    He helped make this bed he should lay in it for a while. My theory is Mr Rooney is basically praying this team gets off to a great start so he can justify a extension ASAP. After the comments he made a couple months ago about the lack of minorities in coaching and how he basically painted himself into a corner. I'm sure he wants no part of having to fire Tomlin especially with the Rooney name attached to the Rooney rule.
    He's also on record of saying that he judges the team based on record. Sooooooo.....since Tomlin technically never had a losing record,he's gonna get the benefit of the doubt as long as he goes 8-8.

Pay no attention to the miserable playoff record behind that curtain over there. Ain't that right Toto ? Ruff ,ruff......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    With Ben's extension, my crystal ball says Tomlin gets one that coincides with his termination date. Just don't think Rooney will bring in a new head coach at this point in his career. There is a faint hope that Tomlin could retire though.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s Pittsburgh, it’s not that hard to come to a bridge. :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Michael Lombardi believes the Steelers’ culture is lost, and that head coach Mike Tomlin, despite his impressive 57-29-1 record over the last five seasons, loses critical games because he and his teams fail to handle small details and do not exhibit the physical and mental toughness they need in key situations. The Rooney family does not overreact, but Lombardi suggests the imminent departures of Brown and Le’Veon Bell will lead to a thorough evaluation of Tomlin, who will need to fix his team’s culture in order to secure his future in Pittsburgh.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s a bit more complicated than Lombardi’s take. Three years ago this team was 4-5, and then won what was essentially 9 elimination games in a row. Two years ago this team found a way to scratch and claw its way to a 13-3 record by winning a lot of close games in pressure situations. In fact, after a 3-2 start the only remaining regular season loss was the Jesse James “surviving the ground” BS loss. The playoff losses both seasons were pretty bad though. There’s a mix of very good in with the bad, and I think that this team is and has been way closer to a championship than most people give it credit for being - even with Tomlin at the helm.

In a perfect world I’d love to get a better head coach to get us over that last hump, but who is that guy? Bill Bellechick isn’t coming here. Pete Carroll isn’t coming here. Bill Cowher isn’t coming out of retirement. I don’t think rolling the dice on an unproven guy in the hopes that he’s the one is the way to go - at least not yet. Talk to me after the 2019 season and I may have a different view. I want to see how Tomlin does with the egomaniac malcontents out of the locker room.

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The same Michael Lombardi who said Doug Pederson was less qualified to coach than anyone he's ever seen, a year later Pederson won the Super Bowl :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have never seen this comparison LOL.

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Does Lemieux have enough money left to buy the Steelers?

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No

He didn’t have enough to buy the Penguins.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Right or not it still involved changing a coach to win a SB.

23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Roonatic what are you saying? :eek:

24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not believe you, when they would not offer you the standard 5 year deal you pulled what Tyronn Lue did with the Lakers. Thanks, now another 5 with MT like it or not.

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Last seasons effort is still clouding my mind. Throw in the loss to the Jagoffs IN PITTSBURGH the year before & yeah, my emotions are getting the better part of me.