1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Benny Snell Jr. the Le'veon Bell Clone

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, May 5, 2019.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Even his number.

minus his top speed.

It is funny as I watch him it seems as if he's a Le'veon clone just maybe not as good at just about everything.

I definitely like this pick in the 4th to compliment the other RBs.

We have 3 young RBs that look like they can all ball, and with good value. Loving it :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    One of the things that surprised me about Conner last year was the number of break away runs. Seemed like in 2017 Bell had less than a handful. So, maybe his speed was overrated.

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah it’s no surprise that the Steelers purple patch in 2018 came when Conner was in form. If Snell can share some of the load and help keep Conner fresh it will be a great signing.

I think we will see Samuels used as a receiver a lot in 2019 and most of the running will be left to Conner and Snell. I can’t wait to see it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Verifying your thought, In Bell’s last 2 seasons he had a combined total of 7 runs over 20 yards. He was actually imho disappointing in the big play category.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    So you're saying the Big Ben QB sneak era is over so soon after it started? :lolol:

Training camp goal line drills will be very entertaining I bet.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Snell isn't a Bell clone at all, Snell hits the hole and goes unlike Bell's patient running style. Also Snell isn't the pass catcher like Bell was.

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yes Snell hits the hole unlike Bell's patient running style, what they do have in common is neither has breakaway speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He's not as patient where he comes to a complete standstill at times, but he does do a wait and see approach. This is a similarity, but like I stated he does not do it to the same level as Le'veon.

As for his pass catching, I was referring to his running style. Not too many RBs are as good as Le'veon. With that said, if he can catch a screen pass or a dump off pass, I'm happy with him.

He doesn't have to be able to play the receiver position to be successful.

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He's 'patient' enough to wait for his blocks to develop. Go back and check out the tape.

No we do not see him come to a complete standstill only to accelerate through the hole, but he's patient enough to let his blockers to develop. He cuts like Bell.

It will be fun to see how he performs at the next level.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think “clone” is a strong word. I think the similarities are actually pretty limited. Patience is only one hallmark of Bell’s running style. Bell lacks top end speed, but his lateral quickness is probably the best in the game (or at least was the best the last time he played). He can make jump cuts and zip through small creases in a way that pretty much nobody else can (including Snell). I like Snell, but his hallmark is physicality. He has average lateral quickness for an NFL RB, but nothing close to Bell’s level. I think he’ll be a solid part of a RB committee for us, but putting him on Bell’s level is setting a really high bar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    He may be a clone of predraft bell.... if you remember, bell was a pure power back in college who tipped the scales at roughly 240-250 lbs and transformed himself in his 2nd season, losing weight to increase his burst...
    No one foresaw what bell was about to become

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    To be fair that wasn't what they were saying about Bell when he came out either. He dropped some weight and improved a bunch.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, to me Bell looked visibly fat as a draft prospect. Snell doesn’t look fat to me. Have you ever heard of any other running back losing 20+ lbs. between his last year in college and first year as a pro? I can’t recall seeing that before other than Bell.

14. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Snell will be better than Conner IMO.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Interesting take on him

16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I would love to see it as well, but will we still see the version of 'run the legs off one runner" for the Steelers? I hope not, but have little faith they will change.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bell averaged under 22 rushes per game his last 2 seasons. Conner was under 17. Exactly how was that running the legs off of them?

18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Only one of those in recent history - the one and only FWP. Joined by WRs Mike Wallace and sadly, Martavus Bryant when he had his head screwed on straight. Who surprises me with deceptive breakaway speed and moves is none other than JuJu SS. Even Kordell had great speed when lined up at WR.

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Several of his highlights remind me of Franco and the Bus when he breaks through tacklers straight ahead. Not much juke and jive, just power ahead full steam. Conner does that too, when healthy.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Personally I do not seem the similarities between Bell and Snell. Two different styles of Running. Pittsburgh is getting back to their roots by taking a Back who will pound teams into submission in the Fourth Quarter.

Having him and James will truly impose the will on the opposition. Health is key with him. The Offensive Lineman doubly so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's what I meant. He was a plodder in college and everyone was comparing him to the guy the Packers took...

He dropped weight and ended up being more agile for it.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Levean Bell was a better receiver than runner. We have yet to see if Snell can catch
    the ball. If he can he is going to be exciting if MT will get him touches.

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Bell was great when he had brand new knees and a new patient running style. Then teams figured out to be patient and then his knees blew out. Now bell is above average with low breakaway speed

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    According to the NFL Combine Bell ran a 4.6 40, not a burner. Interestingly his other combine stats were on a par with Sutton Smith stats who is a RB converted to a LB/DE. Benny Snell ran a 4.66 40. How is he labelled a banger at 224 and a weak 16 reps in the bench press (Bell - 24)? He isn't a big back. He may be a slow back with an attitude.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bell is more elusive, if Snell can come in and average 4 YPC and pound teams, then I will take it don't care he doesn't have breakaway speed.