1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What personnel loss will really hurt the Steelers next season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, May 4, 2019.

1. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    It has to losing Munch. He could turn clay into men.

• Agree Agree x 9
  2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That's probably the most astute observation posted for a long time (the loss of Munch). I know many have tried to minimize the loss of AB. Yes he had to go with all the transpired in the offseason, but for a team that had that had 11 games decided by one touchdown or less (not including the tie with Cleveland), those 15 TD's are a huge loss, especially with a kicker who now shows himself undependable (or a new untested kicker in a stadium that is difficult to kick in).

3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Munch's loss won't be felt as badly as some think..... it's the guys in the distant future that never received his tutelage that will show his absence

As for player departures, I think the offense will miss Jesse James more than many think

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Mike Munchak. Not even close.

I am interested to see how Shaun Sarrett will do. He has been around a while. Here is hoping he can replicate some of Munchak's success.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Shaun has been here with munch from the start. He was here before munch but the whole time munch was here. All the o-linemen we picked up last year and kept have a year with munch and Shaun. There are many that they were high on. The main line also has been together under Shaun and munch so the teachings are still there for them to pass on as well. I think we are in much better shape on the line then most think for years to come. We are actually pretty deep with munch students right now. :cool:

6. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Joey Porter.. I feel like his leadership and tutelage really brought something special and I also...... Ok I went as long as I could with that before laughing lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not that worried about losing Munchak, if Sarrett was new to the team then yeah, he has been the assistant OL coach for awhile.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats my thinking. We'll find out how good Sarrett is.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Throw my hat into the ring for Munchak as well. That’s a tough loss. Miller and Kirwan were talking the other day about how losing Munchak and Fangio will be difficult to overcome for their respective teams.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's Brown and it isn't even close. The Steelers had the best receiver in the game for years and he wasn't far off that level last season even with teams putting most of their focus on him and daring the Steelers to beat them with everybody else. Life is going to be a lot tougher for every other skill position player without Brown to draw attention away from them.

Munchak is a significant loss, too, but blackandgoldpatrol was right. The current line is a veteran group and those guys all had the opportunity to learn from Munchak. His loss could have a bigger impact in the long run, but for 2019, it's Brown.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. If Grimble isn't ready for prime time we are in trouble at TE. We need to find roughly the 500 snaps JJ provided us. If McDonald gets hurt we're screwed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I completely agree. Brown and Ben may not have had the fuzziest relationship in the world, but they were special together on the football field. You don't lose the best receiver in the game without experiencing hiccups. I don't think our offense will be awful, but without Brown and Bell, it is hard to see it being special. I'm hoping improvement in other areas (defense and special teams) and a better team chemistry as a whole (and hopefully better coaching) can compensate for what I expect to be a less explosive offense.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    AB even though I am glad him and Bell are gone.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we will miss Bell the most. What he brought to the table this last season will never be replaced. Where are the other players going to get their dope and urine kits from now?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Funny.

16. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    None. Absolutely none. We are better now.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe they should run the ball more, no reason for Ben to lead the league in pass yards like he did in 2018.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    After watching some of the kicks other kickers have made in 3 Rivers...I think that myth is debunked.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    3 Rivers?

• Like Like x 1
  21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

All the good ole days of TRS. lol

22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It's still 3 Rivers in my book.

Seriously though the days of it being that difficult to kick int the new stadium were limited to when they were still trying to figure out the grass/turf combination and before the addition of the extra seats at the (formerly) open end.

Now its just "Barely and inconvenience at all" for a competent kicker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We will miss Brown. I am glad he is gone, but it is foolish to think our offense will be as good or even better than it was. I am ok with all of this if our defense plays tight and ben keeps the passes to under 30.

This new age crap hasn't won us anything

24. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Coach porter did contribute greatly to a certain playoff victory against Cincinnati

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't know... the offense did well without Bell last year. It was the defense that gave up too many 3rd and longs vs. crappy teams that killed the Steelers playoff hopes. I was skeptical about the WR corps without Brown, until they signed Moncrief. I think he could be Jericho Cotchery 2.0... and could possibly be our #2 WR. This would give Washington and Johnson time to develop at #3 and #4 WRs. With that said, if JuJu goes down for any length of time... Steelers are screwed. Brown and JuJu were both #1's... now we only have 1, number one caliber WR.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1