1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roethlisberger era successful with only 2 championships?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Go 'lers, May 4, 2019.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers will have paid #7 over 200 million dollars if he finishes out his current
    contract. With 2 Superbowl wins to his credit. that's not too much bang for the buck.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I have heard the "Ben doesn't prepare like other QB's" rhetoric for quite some time, and I still wonder how people know this? I'm only marginally being sarcastic when I ask because I wonder do some people truly know? I've heard 3rd hand reports, but I certainly do not know for a fact how much he prepares. I really truly believe this is something some media head said a long time ago that gained momentum whether being true or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Of course it's a success. Lets not forget that he's competed his entire career against the Patriot juggernaut. It the Patriots aren't the Patriots, I think the Steelers have at least two more Super Bowl appearances.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's why they're called opinions......to each his own.

5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Maybe but the steelers lost only once in the playoffs against the Pats in this decade.

6. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    That drives me crazy because I think we look at that, whether true or not, as the sole reason he didn't have more championships. Look at P. Manning, he didn't win until late in his career, he was the ultimate student of the game. The issue was his game is all based on timing, throw off the timing and he was pedestrian. I honestly believe if we had Brady at QB he would have been out of the league by now. He never would have become the GOAT because he can't play well when pressured and Ben was playing under the worst line in football for the first 6 years of his career.

Manning wouldn't have success either, he is a flat footed pocket passer, we all saw how pressure affected him. Also Brady and Manning had the rules changed to help them, With Brady it was all about protecting the QB, he has a season ending injury and now you can hit a QB low, what about Carson Palmer? Manning's receivers were hit coming off the line by the cheatriots DBs over and over forcing Manning to throw 4 INTs and have a terrible game so the league changed to rules to suit him.

My point is we look at those 2 guys and forget that they also have their issues but in Brady's case superior coaching is his secret. Manning won his second championship when he wasn't good but Denver had a defense that was lights out but he is still 2-2 in super bowls yet by "student of the game" standards he should have had at least 4 rings if not more.

The Steelers issue has been Tomlin, when the defense aged out he was never able to rebuild it. Take a look at some of the other stats Tomlin owns in addition to the no losing season one we bring up. Most blown 4th quarter leads, most losses to sub .500 teams than every other winning coach combined!!! That isn't an anomaly, that is trend since his 4th year as coach. Ben has his issues but lack of more rings isn't just on him or his lack of "study", inferior coaching across the entire team also helped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I’d say in the modern NFL it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That wasn't a media head that was Ben himself saying he is not a big film guy now whether or not that means he doesn't prepare like other Qb's is open to interpretation but it does suggest he isn't the type to be sitting at southside breaking down tape at the wee hours of the morning.

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't think anyone is saying it's not successful. The question is could we or should we have expected more with the talent that has been put on the field in the last 10 years? That's a matter of opinion. No one is putting all the blame on Ben for not winning more. I don't know why some people are taking it so hard. IMO we should of won 1 or 2 more. If there is blame for not doing so it's on the coaches and players. Last time I checked Ben was a player. You simply can't get the credit and none of the blame. It's not like we won all because of Ben and the fact we haven't won in the last 10 years has nothing to do with him.

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    When Ben is hot he can be the best qb of all time but when he’s not he’s a Ryan leaf lol

Ben makes my jaw drop in awe and from stupidity lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with a lot of this. I would always argue that Ben was better than Brady back in the day for that very reason ,the OL. The problem is Brady took his game to a level Ben could only dream of both mentally and physically. To me it's the difference between wanting to be great and wanting to be the best.

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I would add knowing what will win the game between those two. I will always maintain that Brady fully realizes that he can and has gotten personal accolades by not being the focal point and doing the little things that win games. Just look at how they attacked teams in the playoffs on their way to their 6th. Best way to beat Mahomes and KC was running the ball and chewing up the clock. So the goat handed it off and didn't make a big deal about how he should throw the ball.

Contrast this to the Steelers last SB appearance facing the worst rushing defense in the SB era and the brain trust decided Ben was going to be SB MVP so they were going to be ultra sneaky and pass versus the Packer defense's strength 14 points off turnovers in the first few minutes showed how dumb that plan was.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    There are several hall of fame QBs who had long careers who never won a superbowl, Kelly, moon marino tarkenton come to mind, other HOFERS like staubach starr won 2 some who only won 1 superbowl like brett favre, peyton manning only has two SB wins, so in my opinion the steelers got their moneys worth with Bens 2-1 record in superbowls, and he still has a couple seasons left to get to his 4th superbowl so when you draft a QB you just hope he can win 1 for you so more than that is just icing on the cake............

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  14. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    This is true that the last few years have been very disappointing with the talent that the steelers had ..... Wins-loss record was not bad, but the problem is that the steelers only had 3 playoffs win in this period and of course, the lockerroom was very toxic ... Of course I do not blame much Ben on that, it is especially Tomlin who is responsible for that ... The culture was much better under Cowher ... Cowher would never accept that the lockerroom becomes loose and toxic like that been in recent years.

15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If you think Ben with "only" 2 titles was unsuccessful, prepare for a dissapointing future after he leaves. It ain't easy to win a title, even if you have a very good team. The Steelers have won a lot of games since Ben arrived. Unless they're very lucky this won't be repeated. HOF QBs don't come around often.

Spoiled children wearing Black and Gold glasses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Listen, trust me I hear you but if I was to go on listing all the things Brady is better at I get labeled a Ben hater and all the other things that come with it. Ben is by far the more athletic of the two. IMO he hasn't done nearly as much as he could of to be even better. He relies almost exclusively on that and hasn't done enough to boost the other parts of the game that make you better. That includes all the intangibles as well. He's said it himself " he doesn't care about INTs and he's a gunslinger that's always gonna take chances. Am I satisfied and grateful of the alternative of not having a franchise QB and 2 more SBs? Of course,but I will always be left wondering if he could of or should of done more. Your right I think Brady has made the sacrifices in his life both on and off the field on his quest to be the best. Ben has relied on his natural ability. He is who he is on and off the field.

17. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe Ben did say that himself, but like so many things, it really should be taken with a grain of salt. This is a funny thread, and I don't mean in a haha kind of way. I also don't mean to imply it is a bad thread. It is funny in that, maybe Ben has been all he is capable of being. I mean we can all speculate all day, but only he knows if there was more in him or not. Hell, maybe he overachieved, who knows? If he could have been better than two Superbowls wouldn't seem very successful. If he overachieved, two Superbowls is incredible. This is what I mean by funny.

18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben is the best that Pittsburgh has lined up at QB.

maybe just my opinion

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If I told you Ben was gonna retire at the end of the '19 season, and Mason Rudoph was gonna replicate exactly Ben's career, with all the ups, downs and frustrations. You're gonna get 2 and only two titles between 2020 and 2035. Would you take it? Or would you feel short changed? Personally. I'd take in a heartbeat.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Cowher and Tomlin definitely have two different coaching philosophies. Cowher did have a lot more leaders back then though imo. Especially on defense. And Cowher was dealing with a much younger Ben who took a back seat to those other guys. The younger players in the Tomlin era seem to have a different maturation level across the NFL. I'm not saying Tomlin or Cowher is better at the locker room chemistry because I have no idea. I'm just saying even in this relatively short time between the two coaches, the athletes personalities have changed and its tough to compare the two imo.

Does Colbert's tendency to draft underclassmen affect this?

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Aaron Rodgers has only one won, it takes an entire team effort. Pens have Crosby and Malkin and they were one and done this year. Can't have a championship every year, its a matter of a lot of things going right throughout the year. I think Ben gets one more before he retires. I hope anyway :beg:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

The Leadership has been a huge problem for the steelers since the retirement of Hines Ward and James Farrior after the 2011 season.The steelers have had too many ME player in the last few years, one of the reasons why we won nothing special even if the talent was at least comparable to the Steelers in the 2000s.

To return to the topic, I'm happy with 2 super bowl, but this decade was disappointing, since we were not close to winning a super bowl even if the talent was there .... At least in the 1990s we were close to winning or participating in the super bowl a few times.

I understand the frustration for some for this decade, since our success from 2004 to 2010 were great, but since it's very frustrating ... I do not think Roethlisberger is to blame for that(outside maybe as leader,I don't know), since he is not worse than he was in 2004 to 2010 on the field.

23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Hockey is the ultimate expression of a team sport. It's where a solid team effort to adhere to a defensive philosophy can shut down superstars time and time again. The islander's defense stifled the Pens aggressive creativity. The Canes swept them by playing responsible D and having young guys that could dump the puck behind the d and chase it down.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Every QB can't win six Super Bowls like Brady :shrug:

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think that is a league wide problem, but that's jmo.
    Red Carpet on draft day, Instagram, Facebook etc its just part of that generation.

• Agree Agree x 1