1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roethlisberger era successful with only 2 championships?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Go 'lers, May 4, 2019.

1. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Question: Do you consider the Roethlisberger era a total success with only two Super Bowl championships? Oh sure, a championship is great and it's certainly hard to win titles in the NFL but do you think we should have won more at this point?

And yes, so many other fanbases who have never even seen their teams go to a Super Bowl would probably want to punch a Steelers fan in the face for asking such a greedy question. But hey, the standard is just different in Pittsburgh!

It's no secret that the Steelers have underachieved these past few seasons. The way in which we came up painfully short in SB 45, got "Tebowed" in the wildcard round in Denver, or folded time and again to the Patriots in numerous AFC Championship games it all begs the question... should we be total satisfied with only two titles in Ben's 15 year career?

Discuss?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    1. Yes, Ben has time to win another championship

2. It's the off-season and not a lot to talk about, work with me here

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Three Super Bowl appearances, two wins, never had a losing season.

Yes definitely a success. Anyone should be thrilled about that. Doesn’t mean you can’t want more, but definitely nothing to really complain about.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Id say the 2000s were a huge success and the 2010s have been a huge disappointment.. I think though the 2000s are what made the 2010s a disappointment because we expect more now.. Still a very successful era though

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    This. And I don't blame Ben for not having another ring or two, which I feel he should.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Of course you have to be happy with the 2 SBs but at the same time I'm a little disappointed and underwhelmed with the results in the last 10 years. If I didn't feel that the coaching and the player focus,motivation and preparation weren't lacking it would be a easier pill to swallow. There is no denying this team has underachieved and those things I listed are the biggest reasons. All the players deserve their share of the blame.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He has to share as much of the blame as the credit he gets for winning them. You can't have it both ways. He didn't win them without help and he needs more help to win another.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree with both these statements. From around 2013 on (give or take a year), the emphasis shifted more toward the offense. By this I mean more Cap space to develop a line to protect Ben, more weapons. That needed to be done or Ben would not be playing today. On the D side we have just never been able to put together a championship caliber team. That failure is from the top down, lousy draft picks (and scouting?), failure to develop talent, perhaps a dated scheme that failed to recognize the change in Offenses. IDK pick one, or all. For me the bottom line the last few years is I do not believe the Steelers were as good as they seemed. Their record during the regular season was impressive at times, but they never seemed a truly dominant team, and to often that showed itself in the playoffs.

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The thread post is leading and dishonest. You basically want us to to reinforce your position that we should not have "total satisfaction" with Ben's career. So in short you are leading the entourage of yet another negative Ben Roethlisberger thread.

The question people need to be asking is how many teams would have LOVED to have Ben as their QB for the past 15 years over what they did have

My guess is you would have roughly 25 to 27 teams excluding the Patriots, Saints, Giants, Chargers, New England, Packers during that time.

In other words, the Steelers have had one of the best QBs to play during this 15 year era and his statistics and super bowl wins prove that's not even an opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I agree with these statements. The lack of coaching and team focus is very disappointing. As for Ben, great talent, great heart and success. However, he never became a student of the game and imo this cost at least one more championship he might have garnered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Pats success w Brady makes Bens run look unsuccessful. And of course I would want a title or two more. But the success Ben has had and the two titles he has won with us is a huge blessing. Same amount as Peyton and more than Favre for a little perspective.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Before Ben we were down 1 Lombardi to the 69'ers and Sallad Cowgirls..now were up one on them and tied with Marcia..I'd say very successful..

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Can’t compare patriots success with anyone’s. No bellicheck then no rings. He’s the genius.

I would say our dynasty was 2004-2010 and 2011-2018 has been a successful campaign without taking it to the top.

14. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ben has had an amazing career and is one of the top 5 QB’s over his time in the league. The Steelers should and could have won another Lombardi during the 2010’s, the talent was there. As others have said, coaching, discipline and other issues cost them and maybe it just wasn’t to be. I certainly wouldn’t be blaming Ben for it.

I’d also agree that the Pats dynasty has raised the bar to an impossible height. If Ben was their QB he would probably have 4-5 rings by now. Brady is amazing but I honestly believe you could plug any good QB in there and they would be successful.

15. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Had they beaten GB in SB 45, I would be content on his career. Losing that game really bothers me to this day.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Great career to this point. Would like him to go out like Elway

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Of course Ben's era was successful, not many QB's have won 3 Super Bowls, if he ends with 2 SB wins then so be it.

18. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Only 4 QB have won 3 or more super bowl ... Of course the steelers have been disappointing in the last ew years, but overall it's a success ... Marino won 0 with Miami, Manning 1 with the Colts, same thing for Favre and Rodgers in Green Bay .... it's just hard to win a super bowl

Only one AFC title game since 2011 is very disappointing, but overall, Roethlisberger has one of the best winning ever percentage for a QB ... I think he's in the top 5 or something like that among QB's with at least 100-150 starts in their career in winning percentage.

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Thestealdeal,

actually there's nothing to disagree about. From a performance perspective, it's a matter of the facts. Ben has been one of the most stable QBs and performers at the QB position for the past 15 years. It is beyond debate.

I get a kick out of the Ben haters. If they are truly Steeler fans, they have no clue what they have currently at QB. It is an anomaly to play as well as Ben has played throughout his career. That is why people are talking Hall of Fame with him.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm disagreeing with the thread being leading and dishonest because it's not. Take it easy he's not going after Ben. I know how much that hurts your feelings. He clearly stated the Ben era. Show me where he pointed to Ben as the cause. Just like I said no one is attacking Ben. If he is gonna get credit,he gets blame as well. That's how it works in team sports....Fact.

Edit: oh and I have a clue. I'm 50 years old and I've been a Steeler fan since I can remember. So you don't have to remind me about the years between Terry and Ben. Still doesn't mean I'm not gonna share credit and blame. He's a great QB but it doesn't make him infallible.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Did Steelers fans hate life in the 80’s? Lol

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Honestly not really because back then you were happy just to get a occasional glimpse of them on TV as far as I remember. I remember watching MNF just to see the halftime highlights or lowlights :smiley1:. There was always something about that uniform that just made you awestruck to see it on TV. My memory is trash I admit that. I do remember being pretty upset though watching Bradshaw on TV against the Jets at Shea in his last game. I remember being sad that he was a shell of himself because of a elbow injury I believe. You kinda knew it was a end of a era right then. I als o remember not too long ago only being able to follow the team watching the game cast on the computer. That was painful. Almost as painful as the old board....lol

I know a lot of people here think I'm a Ben hater because I'm very critical of him. The truth is I'm not. It's just as the window starts to close more and more I put the same responsibility( blame) on him as a franchise QB as I do the credit . I can't help that I have high expectations as a fan for my teams and its players. Ben is a HOF QB and I'm grateful for him helping us grab 2 more trophies but I'm always gonna think about what could of been. In the early days of Ben I would argue he was a better QB than Brady. The problem is Brady took his game to a new level with his preparation. I'm sorry but Ben isn't in his class as far as doing all the things necessary to be the best. Ben was always happy to just get by with his natural athletic ability. As he started to lose some of that IMO he hasn't picked up the slack by being properly prepared mentally and physically. IMO he is a great QB but he could of been one of the best ever if he had a better work ethic and attitude. Maybe he gets another one ...who knows. He's gonna need help just like,the help he got winning the first two.

One last time I hope. Just because he is great and we're fortunate that he has brought us succes and chances are likely we will have some down years until we find our next,still doesn't mean I'm gonna blindly overlook his shortcomings. I'll view my teams and it's players through the lens I choose. Everyone else is free to choose their own way.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Compared or in relation to what? Cleveland, then yes very satisfied. Patriots, hell no, they are probably much more satisfied over the same years Bens been here. Super Bowls are hard to come by but to put this into context, I can't be satisfied when another team is in the SB every year it seems (and with a less talented roster)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Elway won 2. Young won 1. Marino didnt win any. Favre won 1. Were those guys successful? Sometimes we forget how spoiled we are.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I have no issues with people criticizing Ben as long as it is in good faith with good reason. The smear Ben campaign that that has become a popular notion this offseason which has delved into the ludicrous. The idea that we're talking about the disappointment of "only" having two championships is telling.

To be considered successful you have to be Tom Brady anymore, which clearly is an anomaly in the league. He's clearly established himself as the greatest QB to ever play this game.

To answer the original question, I do believe Steeler fans should be satisfied and thankful for Ben's time here. I also don't believe we should be presumed to be disappointed with it.