1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers LB Devin Bush

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You have been stalking me and lying about me for a while now. For you to now whine about insults is ridiculous. If you don't like how I post in response to you, stop lying about me and stop following me around making snide comments about me even in discussions that don't involve you.

You are the one constantly taking this in an inappropriate direction. I've brought facts to the discussion, yet you lied once again just now and claimed that I did not.

Your strike-out is irrelevant because you made yourself pitcher and umpire and you once again used dishonest and illogical arguments to make back up your failed attempt at a point.

Your first strike is ridiculous. I'm saying the Steelers should have taken Leonard over Edmunds. You are claiming that the Steelers weren't particularly interested in Leonard. That in no way counters my point. It just makes the mistake look worse. They should have looked more closely. They should have realized what Leonard is capable of doing, but they missed and it cost them a guy who made All-Pro as a rookie.

Your second strike is simply irrelevant. I'm not talking about who the Steelers like. I'm talking about who they should have taken.

Your third strike isn't much better. Edmunds had a third-round grade everywhere and plenty of experts panning the pick when the Steelers made it. The guy is athletic, but he wasn't a particularly good player in college. And it still doesn't counter my point. Leonard is better. You're arguing that a guy who only started because because of injuries was worth taking over the All-Pro. In any realistic evaluation of that comparison, you are clearly wrong. The rest is just more of your weak attempt to muddy the waters.

I also see you couldn't come close to countering my point that the Steelers would have acquired another safety if they didn't take Edmunds in the first round. Either you hadn't thought of that, which supports my claim that you were making a stupid point, or you engaged in willful ignorance to try to support one of your failed claims, which supports my claim about your dishonesty.

Now please stop with the stalking and lying. Thank you.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Keep believing what you deem to be true then; factual or not. In addition, the only one who is stalking here is you.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    You know who's good at stalk blocking? JJ Arcega-Whiteside who we could have had in the 2nd.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You just added another lie to the pile. Are you going to deny that you've jumped into discussions between myself and other posters and made snide comments about me? Are you really going to be that dishonest?

I've got the facts on my side. Leonard is an All-Pro. Edmunds isn't even close. End of argument. You lost.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Again, have fun believing what you will. Value > Need. Doing the opposite yields players like Jarvis Jones.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yet again, that is a dishonest misrepresentation of my point.

Leonard provided value and filled a need. I'm not saying they should have taken him only because he is an inside linebacker. He is both an inside linebacker and a better player than Edmunds.

You keep running away from the bottom line. Leonard is an All-Pro. Edmunds isn't even close. Therefore, in the mind of any rational, honest person, it is clear that it was a mistake to take Edmunds over Leonard.

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011

Interesting nugget in this video. I think we all knew that the Bengals, given the opportunity, would have drafted Devin Bush. Denver had also been linked to taking an ILB, and it would have been no secret that Pittsburgh wanted to get up to #10, to obviously draft Bush.

Within the 1st minute of this video, the Bengals looked like they proposed a trade with the Bills to swap #9 and #11. This would cement Bush going to the Bengals, however, when Oliver made it to #9, Buffalo just went ahead and took him.

I love videos like this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

1. ESPN

The Pittsburgh Steelers traded up 10 spots in order to land former Michigan linebacker Devin Bush. There are a couple of reasons why they did, most notably their need for a playmaker at the second level of the defense. Pittsburgh has been missing one ever since losing Ryan Shazier to injury in 2017.

While Bush may not possess the size/speed combination that Shazier did, he's still a legitimate sideline-to-sideline playmaker. In 2018, he amassed 79 total tackles, 5.0 sacks and six passes defended. He will take over the field-general role vacated by Shazier and help Keith Butler's unit in all phases of defense.

The reason why moving up for Bush was critical is that it allowed the Steelers to jump in front of the rival Cincinnati Bengals, a move that could impact the AFC North for the next decade.

Projected Status: Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate

Stat Projection: 95 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 2 INT

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Definitely more optimistic in my prediction but he could easily get to that statistical plateau. He does have what it takes. All about health.

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

ryan shazier college stats:

Tackles Def Int Fumbles
    Year
    School Conf Class Pos G Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
    Ohio State Big Ten FR LB 13 38 20 58 5.0 3.0 0 0 0 0 0 1
    2012 Ohio State Big Ten SO LB 12 70 45 115 17.0 5.0 1 17 17.0 1
    *2013 Ohio State Big Ten JR LB 14 102 42 144 23.5 7.0 0 0 0 4 0 4
    Career Ohio State 210 107 317 45.5 15.0 1 17 17.0 1 4

devin bush college stats:

Tackles Def Int Fumbles
    Year
    School Conf Class Pos G Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
    Michigan Big Ten FR LB 7 6 5 11 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    *2017 Michigan Big Ten SO LB 13 44 51 95 10.0 5.5 1 0 0.0 0 7 0 0
    *2018 Michigan Big Ten JR LB 12 41 25 66 8.5 4.5 0 0 0 4 0 0
    Career Michigan 91 81 172 18.5 10

he cost us a 1-2-3. not even close in output. KC panic pick. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Personally, I believe the stats between Shazier and Bush Jr. are a bit misleading. The B1G Conference in those early 2010s were more so a Power based conference. Running Backs then could easily get 1.5k yards. Since Shaziers exit though and, since then, whole different conference. These were the top three following leaders in the B1G during Ryan Shazier's final college season:

Amer Abdullah: 1690 yards. 6 YPA

Melvin Gordon: 1609 yards. 7.8 YPA

Carlos Hyde: 1521 yards. 7.3 YPA

Top three total yard average: 1604

Now, let us compare this to Devin Bush Jr.s final season in 2018:

Johnathan Taylor: 2194 yards. 7.1 YPA

Miles Sanders: 1274. 5.8 YPA

Karan Higdon: 1178. 5.3 YPA

Top three total yard average: 1548

Not taking anything away from Shazier has his stats were well earned. However, spread offenses are in just about every conference anymore post Shazier's leave in 2014. The B1G is more geared towards personnel weaknesses nowadays.

For me, much like Shazier before him, I believe Devin Bush Jr. can benefit from this new age, Spread based NFL. Now, can he stay fully healthy, something Shazier sadly was not able to do?! Time will tell.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    oh come on AQL. these stats are hugely different. those are single rb stats many teams had more than one main RB now and then so those numbers added equal that right back out. 58 yard average difference isnt a huge jump. wisconsin runs because they cant pass. i watched devin know this and did very little in that game. ohio state ate him up. his numbers dropped. he isnt even on the same planet with shazier and shazier even played back as a safety at times. no bush is a pile jumper unless unblocked. he will have to improve a whole lot before i see the worth of the bounty we gave for him. he is not a take over player. he wasn't at michigan and i don't see it here. JMO.:cool:

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well.. even so, one aspect that cannot be ignored here. The B1G Conference has changed for certain. As I said though, Bush's health will be critical either way.

Keep in mind though; not once did I say Ryan Shazier was replaceable! :) I was already on record to say he is not before the draft. Devin Bush Jr is no Ryan Shazier. Of that is true. That being said, I simply want Devin to be the best him he can.

Should he do that in addition to staying healthy, who knows what impact he can have?!

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i hope your right my friend. :smiley1::cool:

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Given the fact that how today's NFL offenses have changed considerably, I would not count out young Bush Jr. yet. Health is critical of course. Time will tell as the Season itself is too far away and nevermind Training Camp.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Quite the debates here about Bush.... and for some reason Edmunds vs. Leonard :facepalm:

Sticking to the topic at hand, I watched everything I could get on Bush back in the early part of the pre-draft process. I did my Bush vs. White comparison, and I planted a stake in the ground favoring Bush. The only thing is, at that time Bush was projected as a late 1st rounder or 2nd rounder, and there seemed to be a decent chance of getting a low 1st or high 2nd for Mr. Big Chest. I felt that Bush would be a great pick with our 2nd selection. I'm happy to have him, but I still have lingering doubts about whether he was worth our 1st, 2nd and a future 3rd. Time will tell.

I think Bush will be a very good nickel and dime backer. He can rush the passer and cover. As a pass rusher he finds a crease in the protection and explodes towards the QB, but unlike Devin White he is able to change direction and get back to the QB quickly if the QB sidesteps in the pocket or takes off. He has enough speed and coverage ability that he will be able to do a credible job running with a slot guy, TE or RB when the defensive call requires that he man up with one of those guys. He has the instincts to sniff out screens, and the speed to get there and disrupt them. Really, I think he does everything you want a LB to do on passing downs at a high level, and is a plug and play nickel and dime backer. He will make our sub package defense better from Day 1

What I question is his ability to be an every down Pro Bowl caliber ILB. He may be very reliant on the D line to keep him clean so that he can play run-and-chase defense. If he needs to engage and shed, he's likely to get engulfed. If I were playing the Steelers, I would run right at him so that he can't slip through and track down the ballcarrier from the side or behind. It will be interesting to see how he does when teams take that approach. He may be a guy who comes off the field when we're trailing late and the other team is trying to run it down our throats in a 4 minute offense.

All of that said, the NFL is increasingly about sub package football. Bush is made for sub package football. I'm not sure I can count on one hand the LBs in the NFL who excel both at inside run defense and sub packages, and if I had to pick between the two I'd say give me a great sub package defender because two down LBs are a dime a dozen.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree somewhat with what elvis is saying but I want to add Barron to the kid as well in sub packages football. These two in tandem give us the ability for the other to cover any weaknesses one creates over the other and increases our ability to make plays in the middle of the field that has been lacking.

One can cover and run while the other chases when Jackson or Mayfield breaks the pocket, and they will. Keeping those two in check and winning those four games will be huge for us winning this division.

I just hope mt and butler can see this and use what has been laid at their feet. I hope they don't just try to rely on Bush as the do it all guy. They need both on the field for 3 downs.

My ideal defense this year would be as such and I'm talking 80% of the time:

Two down linemen and mix them up.
    Watt and bud doing what they are designed to do. Set the edge and rush the passer.
    Bush and barron. Line backing.
    Haden, nelson, hilton and layne. All can cover and all can tackle.
    Edmunds and Davis covering the backend and attacking the catches.:cool:

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Oooooohhhhh! Here we go! Mac is coming around on Bush. I think he's gonna be fine man. Like a buddy of mins likes to say" it's better than what we got". I did barely any scouting on Bush but from the little bit I seen,what stands out to me is his recognition and read and react skills. They say that's one of his strengths,his football IQ and it's pretty apparent right away. Add in his leadership and character and that goes a long way too. Besides the athleticism we lost when we lost Shazier we also lost the identity we were starting to build on defens. The identity has been missing and I think Bush can help get that back. JMO

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like this in a player

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You like it?!

I love it. For that matter, this team needs it. Loving this pick more and more.

• Like Like x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    It is official. Devin Bush Jr. is now signed. Transaction occured today. Glad we got it done!!

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If Bush can put up #58 or #59 numbers, then let him wear them. Throw #34 in there with them, Russell wasn't too shabby either.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Terrell already wears 34 though.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    No musical chairs with the roster #s this year?