1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers new approach to drafting WR

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 29, 2019.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I agree with the article, BUT it's nice to have at least one player who can keep the defense honest and stretch the field.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    True dat. Without a deep threat, the opposing D will win most battles.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You are mixing up two things that aren't exactly the same. One of them is the ability to run routes, which is one of the many areas in which Brown excels. The other is the willingness to stick to the routes without freelancing too much. That is an area where he caused problems this past season.

4. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    If I was a betting man, I would put money on Switzer making the 53 over Rodgers. Ryan is the team's PR, KR, & slot receiver. Eli is only the slot receiver. Although Johnson may take over the special team duties from Switzer, I just think Switzer add more to the table than Eli...

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Rogers seems to be better at running a complete route tree and Roethlisberger likes him. If Johnson can take the punt and kick returns from Switzer, the latter's job could be in jeopardy.

I think it is most likely they both make the team, but one of them is inactive on game day. The Steelers normally keep six receivers. Who else is going to make the team aside from Smith-Schuster, Moncrief, Washington, Johnson, Rogers and Switzer?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    From this group, Moncrief is the only speedster we have. I'd rather have JuJu as the primary slot guy in 3 WR sets with Moncrief & Washington/Johnson out wide ..Rogers or Switzer as fourth options in 4 WR sets ...my wishlist ...I'm hoping we get lucky & can scoop-up another speedster from someone's practice squad..

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I predict they’ll both make the 53. Did DHB count as a receiver or ST player?

To me, the bigger question is who gets a helmet on game day and who gets playing time. Probably, the only reason DJ is active at the beginning of the season is for ST. Otherwise, he’s in street clothes watching. Same thing happened with JuJu, Washington, Coates, Bryant, etc.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The thing that helps Rodgers is Ben likes him. Not that it’s a personality contest, but Ben throws to who he likes. So Rodgers will have an edge in preseason.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Juju and Washington were playing immediately. I suspect Johnson will get snaps at receiver day 1 as well.

He likes Switzer too so I'm not sure if there is any edge there.