1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Report: Steelers are not picking up Artie Burns' 5th year option

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Destroyer, May 1, 2019.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    How much of that is knowing what AB is supposed to do because he's on the same team?

when he has to think he's toast!

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't have all the answers alright. As Tomlin would say..."go ask Artie " :hehehe:

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    No surprise here. Artie has been a disappointment and I don’t think he would fare any better elsewhere.

Nothing would make me happier than to see him turn it around but I just don’t see it happening for him.

4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This was a no brainers. Horrible draft pick

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It is a totally different game. More than just adjusting to the speed/strength of the game,sometimes it comes down simply to fit. That's why teams try to draft guys that fit their system. NE is a prime example. They may not have the most talent but they know how to recognize talent that fiits exactly how they want to play. They then take those players and maximize their skills by putting them in the best position to utilize those skills. That's why players aren't plug and play. If you don't adjust your style to your best players strengths you can't expect them to play at their highest level. Brady and his WRs are another prime example. They do what they do best. Contrary to others opinions you can't just take a great player and just expect them to be great wherever they go. There are way too many variables involved to make a apples to apples argument. At least one that is realistic

I firmly believe the Steelers have upper echelon talent but it's a fine line throughout the league. I also firmly believe that the talent isn't being used in the best way possible. That includes many of the players not maximizing their talent by not always being motivated,focused and prepared. Hines said it best......
    " Hard work beats talent,when talent doesn't work hard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Interestingly, in Burns' second year here I remember Bob Labriola was touting him as the most improved player in camp who was going to impress when the season started. I seem to think that the next year he was saying something similar, that Burns looked great in camp. And while there is likely some confidence issues affecting play towards the end of last season, there was clearly some kind of gap between training and the actual games.

I agree with you that Butler in particular doesn't put players in positions to succeed al the time. I do think that Butler encourages players to trust their instincts more, and the problem is that Burns wasn't at a good enough stage in his development to make some of those calls, hence getting dramatically out of position. So certainly some coaches needed to pick up on that sooner.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Artie needs to be in a pure press man scheme to be an NFL corner. He’s not bad at that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yup. I said the same as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I don't know how this works, but does a decision as to whether to pick up the fifth year option have to be made now?

Can't the Steelers just wait and see how he does this year then decide?

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't believe a decision has to be made now but I'm not sure. The report is that they may not but I don't know how imminent it is. If my memory wasn't **** I'd think it would be around the same time the decision was made on Bud. I don't see why it would be any different,both 1st round picks.

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The decision has to be made now per the CBA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The option needs to be exercised in early May, and guarantees the salary for injury only. At the beginning of the league year for the option year, the salary becomes fully guaranteed if he’s still on the team. Last May we exercised Buds option which guaranteed his 2019 salary for injury only. When he was still on the roster by the early March deadline, his salary became fully guaranteed. It’s really 2 decision points.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He gets burned 20 times, makes one play and stands there and folds his arms for the camera shot. Mental yes. I had said in a thread a some time ago he might need some therapy to release the demons and get back to reality. He acts like a child. He has had some major life issues. I don't want to hear this Antonio Brown crap excuse. Some just don't transition into an NFL player. I wish the kid the best.

And a 9.2 large to hold on to Dupree. Sickens me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually he is. He was supposed to be on Gronk in that Patriot game multiple times and yet Gronk was still wide open down the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t recall him ever playing press against Gronk, but if he did that’s a very different assignment than pressing a WR. Gronk is going to flick pretty much any corner off of him at the line in press man. I don’t recall ever seeing any corner successfully press Gronk.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Destroyer

Destroyer Member

Apr 29, 2019
    I think so too, I feel like press man is the best way to play corner in the NFL today anyways with how fast and tall these receivers are. The best QBs can pick apart zone with ease, mans more difficult assuming you can actually play it.

17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Davis and burns were horrible picks that, if we would be honest, could've gone elsewhere for those picks.

18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    How do you lump Davis in there when he's done nothing but show improvement every year despite being in a different position each time?

19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Hair?

• Like Like x 1
  20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    He may not get the 4th year option as well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Improving from garbage shouldn't be that hard

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Mike hilton.:cool:

23. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He isn't bad as long as it is a go route. Watch his film, he takes too long to transition so he bite hard on dig routes and it made him really vulnerable to double moves. when he started getting beat deep in his rookie season coaches took notice and after that it was all over. To be fair a lot of decent CBs get beat on double moves but Arite is on another level, he gets roasted by every double move to the point dig routes are getting 20 yards because he has to play that far off to keep from getting beat deep.

They tried keeping him in press early on in his second season but he was giving up big plays way too much. Then they tried to go back to a zone read only to be hindered by Burns' lack of understanding combined with Davis' poor play recognition. I think Artie's best game was against Tyrod Taylor but if Taylor was a better QB Artie would have been shredded. He guessed on 3 or 4 routes in which Taylor missed wide open receivers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    my impression on Artie is that he lost confidence and that was all she wrote.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    what did colbert say about cleansing? add artie. :cool: