1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How do YOU Grade the Steelers Draft and Why?.. Poll

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Apr 28, 2019.

1. A

7.0%
  2. A-

15.1%
  3. B+

16.3%
  4. B

24.4%
  5. B-

17.4%
  6. C+

5.8%
  7. C

9.3%
  8. C-

2.3%
  9. D

2.3%
  10. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not a lot of chance red will be up against the rookie for the gunner position so there will be room. Just depends on how many will be kept. :cool:

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    One more question as far as how many LB's we keep is what role will Barron play? Is he more safety or more lb?

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    LB:cool:

5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Is that your opinion or do you know that as fact? He is listed as a LB on our depth chart but I know MT likes to use the "dollar" defence and was wondering is we are using 3 safeties.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's semantics really and depending on how well he can adapt from one role to the next will dictate whether he gets the chance to go from LB to Dimebacker on a given play. In other words he could be playing ILB on one play but then switch to Dimebacker when they change the defense. How quickly Bush picks up the system will have a great impact on Barron's role and VW for that matter. The dime would usually consist of 3CBs and 3Ss but if Barron can truly fit that role he would be in place of a S. They are supposedly grooming M.Allen for that role as well. I guess in case of injury or performance.

I think it's gonna be a pretty fluid situation as far as the roles for our LBs. Things will be changing based on readiness and performance. VW is the signal caller so it might take some time before you start seeing him replaced on a regular basis. I think in a perfect world they would want to see Bush and Barron together quite a bit, so you wouldn't have to change a lot when switching defenses. If Barron can't do both you will probably see more of VW with Bush like when it was VW and Shazier. I know a lot of guys are down on VW but they really seem to like him. He's actually a very good blitzer and it would be something to have two good ones on the field. Part of what got Bostic released was his unwillingness ( well he complained about it) and inability to blitz effectively.

They really are developing a quite complex and versatile defense. The biggest problem will be how well they can make it all mesh and work. I really believe the talent is in place and yes even Buds athleticism could play a important role.

We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We could make him competent again. We can make him play harder,smarter,faster.......he's the 9 million dollar man:hehehe:

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah it feels like we are getting a very flexible defense and that is all fine but I guess we will have to see what scheme we run. I will have to do some research onto what we played most of last year. That don't mean that's what we will be playing this year but it show shed some light on what they are trying to do with all this flexibility.

Love the "Steve Austin" reference but please don't compare Dud and him........................:shrug:

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I was just trying to peel back the label of Bud "basher" a little bit.....even if I'm far from the only one who feels that way. I got broad shoulders....it's all good. :shrug:;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah he's so good on ST, him and Chickillo I believe were the two players against the Saints that got knocked on their ass on that fake punt attempt :facepalm:.

10. Destroyer

Destroyer Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Linebacker, they tried the safety thing in Tampa and he was a bust. Good thing about physical safeties that can tackle is you can move them down a level and some of them perform better. Barron is one of those guys that succeeded in that. He's physical and can hold his own in the run game which makes me really excited to see him in the defense this year.

11. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    With all the phantom calls going against us & the Steelers scheme of lining up off the line of scrimmage, CB is a position to always be skeptical of as a Steeler fan. Let's hope he can be a guy that can jump routes & make plays catching the ball ...love that size but his speed is meh

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Seriously? First of all read the article to see where he ranks ,not only among the team but league wide. He's towards the top of the league in ST tackles. I guess by your standards every bad game or bad play by someone tarnishes all the other good games and plays? Let's not even revisit how dumb of a call it was and a even worse design of a fake punt. Putting your players in a position to succeed is a good thing....it's real:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Don't you know one play trumps a season worth of good? :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That one play if executed properly, could've been a win over the Saints and a playoff berth :shrug:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    just a guess since he hasn't played yet. MT also said Marcus Allen will see time in our packages. Don't forget we didn't have these LBers in the past so him liking the dollar may change some. It would be pretty dumb to go leave that type of talent on the sidelines.:cool:

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    i get that but still can't base a guys career on one play

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Mcgee

Mcgee Active Member

Oct 2, 2016
    We all can speculate all we want, but I couldn't agree more with your last statement. It takes a couple of years to really see how your draft turned out. How many of us thought Antonio Brown was going to be a terrific player picked in the sixth round? Until they come up with a heart meter, the draft is a crap shoot.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    JMO but I think this whole season was full of them "one" play things. What we don't see is what if TM wasn't on the field making them tackles on ST and they went for TD's? It is easy to point out a play that he did bad on but we don't know what would have happened on the plays he made if he wasn't there. It wasn't to long ago our ST couldn't cover crap and I do remember conversations on here about even kicking the ball out of bounds.......:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So much unknown leaves us guessing. I can't remember a season like this with so many questions as to what position players will be at and what system we will be running do you?

As far as leaving talent on the sidelines who are you referring to Barron or Allen cause imo neither has shown talent yet. Barrow has shown flashes but nothing to where I would say "you can't leave that on the sidelines" and Allen is so unproven. jmo

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

No need for broad shoulders I am right there with you as far as a Dud basher goes........root like hell for him but he just hasn't lived up to his billing but hey he has 9+ mil now.

• Like Like x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah cause if that was the case Juju would be gone now too right.......I mean he did fumble and that cost us a game and a playoffs spot.....:shrug::shrug::shrug: See how that works???????:facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Here's a fun observation: In free agency we signed a LB, WR and CB to fill needs so that we wouldn't have to target specific positions with our early picks. So what do we do with our 1st three picks? LB, WR, CB.

I'm not down on this draft, but I'm not elated either. The reason that I'm not elated has very little to do with players that we drafted, and more to do with needs (what I see as needs anyway) that remain unaddressed after the 1st wave of free agency and the draft.

1. We did not get any help at free safety. Davis is entering a contract year, and to date has not shown that he's the future FS for this franchise. Maybe Year 2 at the position will prove that he has value, but in 3 season I have yet to see any signs of him being an instinctive player.

2. I know we took Sutton Smith in the 6th, but is he really going to be in the mix for a starting OLB gig? He's an extraordinary longshot to make it as an NFL edge. I'm one of many who are frustrated with Bud's lack of development over 4 years, and I think we missed on the opportunity to upgrade that position.

3. I think Gentry looks like he could be an NFL TE in time, but I think he's going to struggle as a rookie. We have McDonald and Grimble for 2019 unless we put Gentry on the field way too early.

Personally, I didn't see the glaring need at WR. There were some very solid "move" TEs available when we took Johnson. An athletic TE could help at both the WR and TE position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I agree with just about everything here(the only thing is I don't like the Bush pick) and you hit the nail on the head. I do believe you and @thesteeldeal are both feeling this way and have both talked about these 3 positions in what i have been reading. Yeah we have guys on the roster but they are full of "if's" which is a tough thing to have when you are trying to be that dominate team.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Barron for sure in the LB role for us over vince. Bush over bostic. Both can add so much to this defense that we just didn't have for the last couple of years.

I think it with shazier here and if timmons was more in his prime than in his decline we wouldn't have seen as much of the push for the 3 safety look. We should now have a version of the shazier/timmons capability even if it's a little watered down version at this point. This was the premise of when I talked about KC saying we haven't replaced shazier yet and I added that we hadn't even replaced timmons yet. We have two that can run and cover. That is the talent that should not be on the sidelines. We put ourselves in a position to use a player like layne or sutton as that 5th db instead of forcing a player like allen to have to play safety and lb.
    :cool:

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    1. You’re absolutely right. I wondered the same thing about Safety. We could use some solid depth.
    Maybe the pick somebody up later after cuts.
    Hey maybe we can resign DHB to play Safety?

2. I don’t mind the OLB pick we need some depth, could have used an earlier pick on this position though.

3. Not sure what to think about the TE pick there.

I liked the WR pick. After JuJu and Montcrief we pretty much just have some guys at this point. Washington may pan out Rogers and Switzer are nice, but not setting the world on fire at this point.