1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Report: Steelers are not picking up Artie Burns' 5th year option

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Destroyer, May 1, 2019.

1. Destroyer

Destroyer Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Will be interesting to see if he flames out again this year who would sign him after us. Cue Belichick on line one and turning him into a pro-bowler.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    It is up to him. I do wish him all the best as I would love nothing more than Artie to succeed. If he does, that is essentially a win win as we do not have to worry about Layne getting onto the field sooner in addition to jettisoning Haden as he is going to be on the wrong side of 30 in 2020 more than likely.

Again though, that is what I would want. Question remains is can Artie get his confidence back?! Time to find out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I have a soft spot for Artie for some reason. I hope he bounces back as well but unless he taps into something we haven't seen yet,the writing is on the wall. Honestly I don't know how much of a chance he's gonna get to redeem himself ,unless Haden or Nelson gets hurt . I'm pretty sure they are gonna look to bring Haden back unless his performance this season says otherwise. With the drafting of Layne,Artie's prospects of sticking around seem slim. If only we knew then what we know now I would of tried to package Dud and Artie for some picks and freed up cap space for Houston.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    All he needs is one good season and he can get a nice payday next year.

Maybe if he plays solid when called upon, we can bring him back for depth at a decent price.:shrug:

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Problem is ,if he has a good season someone is gonna take a chance on him. That pretty much rules out bringing him back for a decent price.

6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Probably, yeah.

7. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    In hindsight, putting a raw, younger CB next to ABrown in practices might have messed with his mind as well as his confidence.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Haden just turned 30. Next season he will have just turned 31 if I carried my knots right. He's got at a minimum two in him. Sutton and allen have to finally show something as this will be year 3 for them. We could also lose hilton by next year or at least spend some money to keep him.

We could lose argue this year, haden and hilton next year and sutton and allen would be in their final year. We have a couple of others in camp, tocho, waters and actually quite a few others.:cool:

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Holy crap! Maybe we should move Waters back to WR....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Artie's problems are much like Dupree's it's almost 80% mental. They have the tools and the skills it is just forgetting their heads and play the way they did in high school and college to get to this point.

11. Destroyer

Destroyer Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Is it mental though? After a few seasons it’s gotta be more than that. Did they plateau? Are they not grinding tape as much as their peers? Or were they content with just getting drafted?

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Today is Artie's birthday, he turns 24. Happy Birthday Artie!! That's still a little young, but it's hard to see much development. In fact, he's gone backwards, I think his rookie year was his best yr.

If the problems are in his head, I'm not sure a vote of no confidence will help, though I doubt picking up his 5th yr would make any difference. A change of scenery is probably necessary for the guy, but I doubt it will turn him into the player he was expected to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Artie doesn't have what it takes above the neck :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    What the hell? why did they move him? He attacks the ball and is a natural hands catcher with good vision to run after the catch.

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    No idea man. He looks real good at WR,has to be something. Not sure what

16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He just looks lost when he's out there on some plays. If he has to make a decision he's stuck in "decision mode" while the play is happening, then not having enough time to make it up.

I don't know how you fix that besides getting a fresh start somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Must be the underneath routes. Most of those plays were simple routes and screens.

18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    He was the wrong pick. I'd be surprised if he makes the team out of camp.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't think it's mental,confidence wise. I believe the problem is recognizing what he is supposed to do when they mix coverages. He seemingly fails to understand the concepts. The best you will ever get out of Artie is if you put him on a island where he can just use his athletic ability and he doesn't have to worry about who he is supposed to cover. He would be much better in press man than he is zone dropping. I believe the Steelers were 3rd in the league in how much man coverage they played but I'm not sure how much press they played compared to off- man and zone. If I remember correctly Ike used to struggle the same way but when they gave Ike a assignment to follow and shutdown a teams best WR he did very well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It's more than that though. When it's a crossing route he loses his man as well.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok you win he sucks:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This^^^^^!!!! Artie is a lot like Dupree and Davis, incredible athletic talent with low game I.Q. and no natural instincts. Artie was ok early on because his "guessing" was right and he was jumping routes and it made him look like he was going to be good. The problem came later on when he started getting beat on deep routes and coaches took notice. From the second half of his rookie season up to the present he has proved all of the analysts right when they said he was a major reach in the draft.

He can't change direction easily because he is a long stride runner, he is fast but not quick. He could do ok in college because not every receiver there is NFL caliber but the issues he has are only magnified in the NFL if you don't have the game knowledge to learn. The NFL is littered with players who aren't super athletic but do well because they understand the game and are able to make up for it by being able to play smart.

I Hope he can get better and provide depth because the team needs help but I won't hold my breath. I never liked the pick but I really hoped I was wrong but no use crying over spilled milk. I just wonder if we should hire some different scouts for the defensive side of the ball, the offense seems to do well but the 1st round defensive picks aren't even 50/50 at this point.

23. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    That's a good point. That's definitely the case for many college QBs. You've got Heisman winners who were drafted behind several other players at that position (Lamar Jackson), or had very short careers (Tebow), or who were massively unprepared for the pro game (Manziel).

24. Destroyer

Destroyer Member

Apr 29, 2019
    It is a totally different game, you’re not going up against tomato cans every week. You’re going up against the best players at the best positions. That’s why it’s so hard to draft because no matter how “safe” a guy is there’s still a high chance he’ll be out of the league before his rookie contract is up.

Some guys just can’t adjust to the speed/strength/commitment of the next level.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    A lot of this is absolutely true. What shouldn't be overlooked though is the lack of development and progress as well . You're right Artie showed flashes early on but has fallen off since. How much of that is the coaching not putting him in a position to succeed? Are his strengths being utilized? We hear about his battles in camp with AB and he's held his own on many occasions. That should speak to his capabilities. Again where is the development? Look at the track record of selecting and developing those prospects. It's absolutely horrific. How much of that is bad talent evaluation and how much is terrible job of developing young talent. It's hard to imagine their evaluations are just that bad. It has to be somewhere in between the two.

I've never been the one to think we can draft O but not D. I feel the coaching on the defensive side of the ball has severely hindered our progress on that side. Just look at the coaches that were recently released and the one that is still there for no good reason. Now contrast that with some of the coaches we lost in the last couple years. I see a huge difference and I think that plays a major role. We have a bad MO of basing a coaches tenure on his contract and not his performance. When said coaching is poor it hinders development and progress for longer than it should.