1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers new approach to drafting WR

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    We could have had Butler 6-5 and ran a faster 40 at the combine than johnson, a deep threat and certainly more of a fade threat inside the 20, how could they miss who the obvious choice was here???

There’s video evidence that not only suggests Butler was one of the nation’s top receivers, but proves it. Check out the Baylor video.Or the Kansas video. Or when he broke four, maybe five, tackles en route to completing a 51-yard touchdown catch and run against Oklahoma. There’s evidence from the Alamo Bowl game against Washington State, also.

The 6-foot-5, 227-pounder had a 4.48-second 40 time at the combine. He’s got a 7-foot wing span, and hands that measured 10 ¾ inches.

“Physically, there’s not many guys out there that look like him — with the length and the catch radius he has, and obviously he does good things after the catch,” Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley said.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Is it really a new philosophy or just spin put out there to justify an unpopular draft pick?

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah but if this guy compares to AB that's not good because I thought it was reported and widely accepted around here that AB was a poor route runner:hmm:

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think anyone has ever made that claim. Aditi Kinkhabwala once said AB is kind of a paradox, he doesn't do any one thing great and mentioned he doesn't run great routes.

Thats already this kids strong point though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Destroyer

Destroyer Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Funny to see those posts, don’t know many receivers that go 1300 yards and 10 tds a year running poor routes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    There were some here that claimed AB put Ben in tough spots sometimes because he didn't run great routes based on what she said.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You guys are changing the narrative. No one said he runs poor routes. Not running great routes is not the same as saying he runs poor routes.

We’re going to find out just how good AB is this year and if there is any truth to his success having more to do with Ben then AB himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    AB was a great route runner and that was always touted as one of his strengths and people were always in awe of his videos showing his footwork and even running routes blindfolded. Now because some Adkti lady spoke out of her ass, all of a sudden he wasn't....that's BS

Whether he's a succes in Oakland on a new team ,in a new system will hardly tell the whole story and prove anything really. Why does it have to be Ben vs AB? Why can't it be they are both great players and made each other better. Speaking of narratives....I don't get the idea that AB owes all his success to Ben but Ben didn't benefit from having the best WR in the league. Who's to say their success has to do with more of the other? There was no such talk about Ben making AB before the **** storm. Now all of a sudden ,it's who made who? Everyone loved AB. For some he was there favorite player. Now it's Ben won't have to force the ball to him...yada,yada,yada. They made each other better. What happened since then doesn't change how great they were TOGETHER. Ok it was 50.5% Ben and 49.5% AB.....does that make everyone happy?

9. Destroyer

Destroyer Member

Apr 29, 2019
    I mean, I'll take Ben 10/10 times over Carr. Brown is also the only receiver a worth a damn out there and they have no run game so they'll be able to double Antonio all day. He'll still produce but it won't be anything like what he did here. That doesn't mean he's a bad player.

Moss was trash with the Raiders and exploded in New England. Why? He was surrounded by a bad team and bad coaching. That makes all the difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Yup and he is tougher then Eli as well. That dude can take a s hit kicking

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I take everything Aditi says with a grain of salt but I doubt this came from her on perspective. Someone told her that or someones. People who would know that part of the game more than she would.

I never saw the blindfold video clip, did he have a little chinaman next to him while he was training???

It doesn't? Ok. Seems pretty obvious to me it does.

Actually there was. Since the season before last at least. Earlier last year a reporter made the claim that AB's success is due to Ben and that wasn't the first time that idea was floated.

I don't have any loyalty to AB, he screwed the team, taking shots at JuJu, eff him, he's dead to me. Hope he fails miserably in Oakland, all the talk will be that it was Ben who made him, would love to see his fragile little ego handle that.

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    So AB became the best WR in football for 5+ years because he didn't run great routes? He must of just dominated with all that size he had. I know DJ is already a better route runner than AB because he is described as a great route runner. What did your eyes tell you? You enjoyed AB as a player didn't you.
    You saw him destroy CBs every week. Hmm wonder how he got so wide open enough to catch 100 ball,lots of times against double coverage. Oh that's right....all Ben. Maybe he wasn't the only one wearing a blindfold. Or your hate is blocking your memory...

His success or lack thereof in Oakland would be a direct correlation as to the silly argument of "who made who"? It's not apples to apples but again let your hate guide you. It's just not the truth.

What is the incident prior to the beginning of last season the trade me Tweet?

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Are people really so angry with Brown that they are going to buy into anything at this point? Brown is a fantastic route-runner. The issue that was raised that he started to freelance too much and that led to some of the interceptions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, if you'd take your face out of AB's butt, you'd see that I have never made the claim about his routes, just that it is out there. I'm hoping it's true, I want to see him fail, I want all the talk to be about how Ben made him. I make no bones about it. You can go cuddle with him if you want to.

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Typical response when someone has no facts to back their argument. I expected more from you though. Still waiting for you to prove " your claim" that there was a previous incident before the " trade me" quote. There is none, so resort to childish insults.......mmmm.....ok. Let the hate flow young Jedi. :emperor:

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Why are we still talking about AB?

aB is gone, DHB is gone, Hunter is gone.

Ben has to mesh with a whole new receiving corp. He cannot sit out the preseason like the last few years. He has to learn these new guys and not judge them too soon if they have some hiccups. Lots of work and communication to be done. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Does your popcorn have extra butter?!

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No... it's cheese popcorn. In honor of Tomlin's cheesy cliches.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Are you delusional man? Go back and see who started making it personal first. You can dump all over Bud and Ben but I talk badly about players that aren’t even on the team and you act like I’m attacking your family members. You’re a riot.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    What? So saying you must (maybe actually)of been wearing a blindfold is the same as telling someone they have their head up their ass and telling them to go cuddle with another man? Pretty funny yourself.

Let's stick to the facts not just what you want to believe or what you want to happen. Where is the incident of it being a " who made who" before the " trade me" tweet ? You claimed there was. You also said the narrative is out there that AB is not a great route runner and that " you hope it's true" Did you watch AB for the last 7 years? While everyone was gushing over how great he was ,including you. Did you ever stop for a second and think man if he only ran better routes he could be better than the best WR in football (which he already was) . No you didn't because the thought never even crossed anyone's mind,including yours. Now because someone said something so preposterously dumb and derogatory.....you hope it's true. You want it to be true even at the expense of your own eyes and better judgement.

I get it your jilted and scorned but let's not latch onto BS just to fuel your hate.....:emperor:

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Why are you talking about me at all Steel? Blindfolds, memory, hate, keep personal **** out of it and I'll do the same. It's not difficult.

I'm not doing research for you, I don't really care if you believe it or not. I recall hearing those sentiments in the past. What does it matter when it started anyway.

I do hope it's true, I hope his success is due to Ben and that he fails in Oakland. Too bad if that bothers you. I've never ever once studied AB's route running and doubt I'd have a trained enough eye to tell the difference between someone that runs great routes and someone that just runs average or good routes. Again, no one has ever claimed he runs poor routes.

Aditis comments were more about AB freelancing, “If Antonio Brown goes to the Jets, there’s no way that Sam Darnold is going to be able to do that”, Kinkhabwala said of having the post-script rapport with the wide receiver. “if Antonio Brown goes to the Patriots, there’s no way Tom Brady is putting up with that nonsense. He’ll say ‘be where you’re supposed to be at the time you’re supposed to be there’”.

I have a strong feeling that AB's success is in fact due to his rapport with Ben and that he will struggle with Carr as his QB. Of course if AB is this master route runner and all around phenomenal talent, then he'll still get open and get his stats.

I have no allegiance to AB, he's a piece of garbage that caused problems behind the scenes all year and then quit on the team. Then sunk his trade value. Why the hell would you want to defend this guy?

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Anger management?

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You? Seems like you could use some with how you feel about Bud and Ben.

You know what they say about throwing stones right.

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    OH is this what this is all about? Must be because you keep alluding to it. Let me know when DUD is ever the best at his position for one year let alone 5 or 6. The problem I have with opinions like yours is you forget so soon how great a player was ,at least to me you won't acknowledge it but I have heard you say AB was productive,great and the best WR in football. That's my point. You want to beat around the bush with his route running when you know deep down inside it was elite or he would of never been as successful as he was and even you sometimes admit....just not with me. I guess it's " payback for my criticisms of Ben and DUD ,who deserve criticism that is related to their shortcomings as well.

I'm never gonna argue AB didn't act like a jackass but I'm also not gonna refuse to give credit where credit is due. Just like Ben great,phenomenal,HOF QB but you know what there are plenty of things floating around about him too,that you seem to willingly ignore. I don't care how you feel about AB but when you are gonna criticize him at least make it about something factual.

As far as making things personal. You can play the victim but what I said about "maybe" being blindfolded and hate ( which is obviously real and you admitted yourself) isn't personal and you know it..