1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2019 Draft Talk Thread - NO SPOILERS

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 25, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Unless Brian Allen truly impresses at Training Camp, not getting a Free Safety is going to be an issue for certain. Rather, I would then assume they believe Marcus Allen can do it since he is the primary backup to Sean Davis. Time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I would of definitely drafted a FS to groom for next year. Either way I don't think Davis is the answer there whether talent wise or contract related. If Davis goes down don't worry because Tomlin said he's comfortable at the position and that both Hilton and Sutton can play there. I'm glad he has all that game film of them actually doing it so he can feel comfortable. It kills me the mentality that anybody can just simply step up and play another role just because a desperate situation dictates it has to. This is the same guy who was comfortable with Mitchell as his FS when he was terrible and better suited to play SS. Instead they kept Mitchell as horrid as he was there only to move Davis the next year anyway. Makes no sense.

There's a reason why a FS is different from a SS it's because they have instincts and ball skills not everyone else has but they keep claiming that everyone is interchangeable and capable.....sorry no. It's a specialized skill just like in baseball. You can't normally just take your left or right fielder and make them a centerfielder. It doesn't work that way in baseball and it doesn't work that way in football. It's a wonder we can't create turnovers. It's been a ongoing problem for years.its nothin new and nothing's gonna change until we realize the importance of a true" centerfielder" in football. It's becoming a " trend" with this staff including the GM to say one thing and do another....all while talking out their asses. Colbert said they were gonna look into how they were evaluating CBs for years and start looking at more " playmaker " types. Yet we do the same thing we have always done. I mean it's worked so well for us in the past....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    FS should have been a high priority, Unless they see something in player currently on roster
    or FA we are very weak at this spot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Tre Boston is still available and if his contract last year is an indicator, VERY affordable. It would probably almost equal out to what they saved by cutting Bostic. $1.8 from Bostic and Boston's deal last year was for $1.5

• Like Like x 2
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Some of these LBers have a 4-3 feel to them. Especially Gilbert and Smith. Also some of the DEs the team was interested in...Banagu and Omenihu. Plus no OLB taken. Wonder if we'll see more 4-3 looks.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep, he's still out there. There's a reason he's unsigned despite his proven ability to cover and make plays at a solid starting safety level. I don't know what that reason is, but it's obvious there's some reason that's outside of the view of the fans. He's not the best tackler, but he's not that bad at it. It's something else. Personality maybe?

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yea something's up...we'll see eventually I guess

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I wouldn't doubt it, they have been pushing the man coverage with the corners the past few years, and it seems there are a fair amount of Dlinemen on the roster now.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just was looking at an article of how the rest of the AFC N drafted and on paper, the Ravens got some really good players. Makes me sick.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They have drafted well for years, now Flacco is gone they will play better.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope the Steelers bring him in immediately then. This will add
    competition to the position, and let the best man win. I hope I am wrong
    but something tells me they see a cb on the roster that they feel is convertible to
    FS. I do not, but I am not at practice everyday. I wish I was. There is a lot
    of dead weight on the defensive side of the ball. Players haven't produced
    should get a stern message at mini camp produce or your gone. We can't have
    hangeroners we need football players that want to play and make a difference.
    The Chiefs /Browns/ Ravens/ Indy/ Pats/ Texans/Broncos are not setting still. We
    can't either.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Not a good idea to bash teams that have you in for an interview, in the colts his agent should have had an interview in place before he showed up:

FA S @TreBos10 on his recent team visits Colts Visit: "I didn't meet with the GM, HC or DC. I was in the lunch room for 2 hours. I even got to play basketball" Cardinals visit: "They rolled out the red carpet for me but the offer was very very disrespectful"

Responses to his tweet:

Danno‏ @dsanders2424
    Replying to @taneill @SiriusXMNFL and
    The “laid an egg” theory was my initial thought. As free agent, he showed an immense immaturity and a incredible lack of business sense. It’s a business. Burning down doors will only decrease interested teams and any future offers. #dumbkid

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hard Pass. Another kid overvaluing his worth and then talking ****. Don't need another Bell here.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Interesting, I hadn't heard about this. Sounds like this is what is keeping him from getting offers

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Destroyer

Destroyer Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Yikes, not a good look at all especially when you're looking to sign. This will just give him a bad rap and make teams not want to deal with the headache. It's not like he's some elite talent either where the risk is worth the reward. It's Tre Boston of all people.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin at the post draft press conference was talking up Marcus Allen, he said he could play in some sub packages.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Just saw that shortly after posting! Cannot say I am surprised though. Marcus Allen was going to supplant Morgan Burnett, had he stayed, at some point in the season anyway. The issue with Marcus Allen was his health. He was put behind the proverbial eight ball.

Hopefully he has much better luck this season. He will be needed. Cannot have a repeat of last season for certain.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    As a dime backer....

19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Didn't the same thing happen with him last year? Didn't he sign late cause he was holding out for bigger money? I think this is what the deal is cause I have never heard anything bad about him. jmo

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes, take over the role that Burnett had.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yup. The role Burnett didn't want. It seemed to me AQL was talking about FS though. Maybe I'm mistaken.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    See some of the posts by others above. Sounds like he’s got some attitude issues.

23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I did see that after I posted. I am not so sure it is as bad as people are making it. He is a good player and I don't see anything wrong with him posting them things, but that's JMO. I mean seriously if you come in as a FA and the HC and GM don't even meet with you wtf?

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I was mentioning the DIME role! :)

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Wasn't part of the point of signing Barron to play him as a dime linebacker?