1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I think our defense is going to be pretty good

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Apr 29, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We see that now on a game to game basis.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    My biggest concern with the Defense is Butler is still here and he proved last year that he was incapable of running the Defense to it's optimal ability. New pieces will surely be an upgrade over the last years starting squad, but when the head coach has to step in and in unusual fashion have to start calling plays himself then it is nothing short of incompetency. Why we ever kept Butler this long is beyond belief. Hoping for the best but lack of accountability at his level still has me worried.

On the offensive side I think we will definitely miss Munchak, but that's a whole other subject in of itself.

I think 10-6 wins the division and 9-7 is a solid WC chance and this team certainly has the personnel to make the post season.

Failure to do that and it's time to blow up the coaching staff completely in 2020.

The time to win is now though with Ben's window closing fast. I just hope MT can be up for that task.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Agreed with your points. 1-2 years then time to start over

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Chefs are in decline now since the Tyreek Hill thingy and of course Kareem Hunt. I think they will lose Tyreek if he is guilty of breaking that boys arm

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Justin Layne might have a chance to be a decent CB, maybe not so much this season.

7. Destroyer

Destroyer Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Chiefs will be in real trouble this year. Their defence is a mess and offensively if Hill is gone they’re gonna suffer. I still think they make the playoffs because Mahomes is too good but they’re probably a one and done in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Oh yeah he's fast :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I can't argue with you on the Cheats but based on the latest post draft power poll, their division has 3 teams in the bottom 11. 10 division titles???? That is BS. Need to do some re=aligning. The biggest difference between them and us, notwithstanding their weak as hell division, is they beat the teams they are supposed to. We don't. If we did, we'd have been in the post season last year. Now, tell me why this is and how to fix it. Until we do, the importance of who we drafted.is minimized in my opinion.

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I know Butler is technically still the DC but bringing in Austin and giving Butler oversight of the LB’s could be significant. I think Butler is being moved to the side rather than fired and Austin will have a big say in things along with Tomlin.

Either way as long as we improve I don’t care who has what title.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We beat the Pats last season, and had them beat the year before but for the Jessie James “surviving the ground” debacle that led to a review and reinterpretation of the catch rule. We can complete with the Pats head to head. Where we struggled last year was consistency week in, week out.

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Last year? Last decade....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Here is my take on butler.

Yes MTs buddy. The owner promised him the job over a long proven coach and the shipped him out. The owner is saving face by keeping him.

What has been the weak link the last two years? Linebacker is the answer. This should be a strength since butler was a long time lb coach. Yet Sean Spence and Vince Williams have been his go to players until it's too late. we have whiffed on two consecutive first round olb under him as well.

It took 3 years for him to finally fix the dbs and be able to play some man coverage.in came bradley. Now Austin to cover and relieve butler of something he struggled with.

Dunbar was brought in and allowed to work with the d-line but also help with the olb. Yet again taking that spot away from butler's incompetence.

Fast forward. We use a 1-2-3 picks to get an ilb. We bring one in in free agency as well. Yet butler still speaks of vw starting.

They have surrounded him with much smarter coaches to protect him for some reason. He has had four real players at lb that have excelled since he's been coaching them.

1. Watt. How much extra help has his brother been?
    2. Timmons. dick lebeau had more to do with him.
    3. Shazier. Just a superior athlete to work with.
    4. Harrison. Butler didn't even want him starting at first.
    We could say Woodley but he didn't sustain his high level and dick lebeau was also very involved with him.

So we have covered butler on the backend, front end and pretty much relinquished him back to ILB coach and have him two guys with speed to mold. We will see how that turns out.

:cool:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Jerry O for ILBs.......Butler taking over for OLBs to help replace JP. Point taken though....

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yea but don't think butler doesn't have his hands on them.:cool:

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Butlers hands should be signing unemployment checks

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    At Heinz Field. There's no chance in hell Steelers will win at Foxboro. Brady will be starting QB which means LOSS for popcorn and the Steelers.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, Bill is obviously a factor, but I do believe you can establish an environment similar to what I see with their organization. Hell, we had it once, no reason we can't again. Like I said, I suspect we may find out this year what is truly behind are inability to get over the proverbial "hump".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm afraid in the end, we will find it is coaching. I can't believe it was about players because other teams do it. I believe there isn't a ton of difference in most teams rosters when you get down to it. That is why I think a few stars on a team can make the difference. Who's stars are better than who's kind of thing. But I do believe coaching has more of an impact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    funny how KC loses their best RB and WR and all of a sudden they are done. Sounds familiar.... lol too bad they don't have a JUJU or conner waiting in the wings

• Like Like x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    we had that environment with Dan Rooney

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The funny part is how close they came to actually having a decent defensive day and a win against the Chargers. Rivers threw what should have been the killer interception, but Davis nailed his own teammate to break it up and things fell apart from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think Hill is done, too. The Chiefs ran the ball just fine without Hunt, but I don't think they will replace Hill so easily. Either way, I still don't think they are done.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't sleep on Mecole Hardman he can do a lot of the same things Hill can. That's probably one of the big reasons they drafted him.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

they are a very long ways from being done but that indeed does put a chink in their armor.. They still have Mahommes and he is not going away anytime soon lol

• Agree Agree x 1