1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers new approach to drafting WR

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If you're wondering why they passed on faster players, it's because they favor route running over speed. I like how Johnsons HC at Toledo put it, it's a 20 yard league.

DC's are playing two deep safties to take away the big plays. Need guys who run great routes. JuJu paid off, lets hope Washington takes the next step and Johnson follows suit.

Can read the rest below.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...-to-be-the-total-package/stories/201904270046

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Destroyer

Destroyer Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Yep, burners aren’t worth it in today’s NFL with the schemes and quality of pass rushers. QBs are getting less and less time to throw the deep ball. That’s why all the top offensive teams, Rams, Chiefs are running the west coast system. Short-intermediate routes.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :this!:

Pittsburgh has historically valued route running, contesting catches and versatility over freakish abilities and speed. There are exceptions of course. However they are not rules.

For that matter, among those exceptions, only one I can think of that worked out reasonably well has been Plaxico Burress. Limas Sweed, Martavis Bryant and Sammie Coates have all been mixed results; Martavis being more so a conundrum due in part to his issues off the field but his immense talent on it.

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think the Steelers are looking for a guy who checks all their boxes. Good hands, good feet, can run the whole route tree.

I think they wanted to get another AB type, and this guy was the closest maybe to his traits. Not saying that he will ever amount to that talent.

I think they biggest thing they look for is how are going to be on 3rd down? It's usually the most important, are you going to go into traffic and catch that 5-6 yard pass get nailed and hold on to it.

I hope he makes most all of us eat crow about him. Because, everyone says we stretched for him.

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Plus Ben’s deep ball didn’t seem as effective last season (haven’t checked the stats on that so happy to be disproved...).

Wise move all things considered.

6. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe they are drafting WR's with all the same speed.... so Ben can easily throw to any of them without misjudging their speed differences. :think:

My concern with the pick is that, I didn't really see many highlight shows of combative catches. Yes, he got some separation, but how about when the CB is challenging and in his face? Toledo just didn't have much public tape to view. I think he needs to hit the gym some more to get some upper body strength or he'll be a dropping machine. I think they also drafted him for his return abilities, even though that part of the game is being minimized by the NFL.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They'll get him in the weight room. AB didn't look like AB coming out of college either.

He definitely needs to improve his play strength. Separation is most important and he can do that in spades.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't need speed, I do favor route running, heck just look at Hines Ward!

But size is still important for me, those smaller wr need to be really special beating the jam, can making contested catches, more so than the bigger wr's.

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    While the Kick off is being minimized, a good punt return man is still an very valuable asset. Switizer was OK, but you did not get the feel he could take it to the house every time. AB was not the fastest punt returner, but had that unique ability to find and hit the holes fearlessly. That is one thing I do see in Johnson. How will that translate to NFL speed? Well only time will tell.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Eli is going to be hard to get off the field. Ben likes him and looks for him. Eli has good hands. Switz, Washington and Johnson will be fighting for field time with the big three. Samuels will also see some spot duties. Just my g gut feeling.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Eli or Switzer gets cut, then Diontae takes over return duties.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    For what it's worth, Kaboly said no chance when someone asked him if Switzer is getting cut.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I like Switzer better than Eli. I think he’s quicker and more versatile.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Yea I heard that coach who helped draft Dionte Johnson explain why he's allergic to speedsters ...had to go to the jon & take a dump. IMO, this guy is a professional idiot times 10. So ....a speedster similar to a Mike Wallace or Martavis Bryant was not beneficial to opening the field?? I'm asking because obviously these coaches are much smarter than me but they're logic don't add up. So what if they're 1-trick ponies, they served a purpose & gave us easy scores. The only WR on our team with + speed is Moncrief. With no threat of a speedster, CB's & DB's can sit on routes making it tougher for Ben. Who honestly believe that we won't have to double Marquise Brown who the Ravens just scooped-up?? I hope this new coach know what he's doing ...if we have trouble in the passing game ..he should be on the hot-seat

15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I really think Coates issue was that hand that was broken. He just wasn't the same after that. They kept trying to put him out there, when he should have been put on IR. He lost his confidence and went in the tank after that.

He could have been a solid #2. Good thing though, because they went out and got JuJu.

16. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I was not happy because we passed-up so many speedsters & tall receivers who could ball ...we had 9 picks & not 1 did we draft. But after a couple days of calming down I now understand what the Steelers want to do. Fix the defense by drafting play-makers. If we don't plan to score a lot of points, we better pray the Steel Curtain is coming back...

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Switzer came off as more of a gadget player, I'm not sure he can run the route tree, which is why I would keep Eli. Diontae can probably take over Switzer's special teams role.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The same Pittsburgh media who told us there's no chance of Landry Jones getting cut last season :shrug:. It will be a interesting camp battle for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I know some guys don't like Eli but what he was able to do after basically missing the whole season speaks to the natural chemistry he has with Ben. As soon as he came back he was a preferred target for Ben. Switzer is the better return man but Rogers is the more natural slot receiver. I have a very difficult time seeing Switzer get cut. He said too many nice things about Ben:hehehe:. What's being kinda lost in some of these predictions is we typically only dress 5 WRs and unless something changes due to philosophy or injury Johnson has a uphill battle just to get one of those helmets. They also re signed Eli this offseason but I'm unsure of the cap hit should he be let go.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    With the addition of Moncrief and Johnson I can't see how there is room for both Switzer and Eli.

I really liked Eli a few seasons ago and think he can be a productive slot receiver but I would have to think he is the odd man out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

I see their comparison thinking on Johnson to AB. The quick feet off the line and his ability to twist up the db. I get that. I don't think he will ever be a deep threat. He can disengage quickly and I think that can help when the play breaks down.

I can also see some thinking of the use of he, Switzer and Eli underneath as a way to open up moncrief and juju. Oh and McDonald and Samuels. Not to mention Conner out of the backfield.

This still creates a lot to cover for a defense without a big deep threat to take the top off like so many want to see. We did most of our damage working our way down field instead of getting it all at once. Eli is quite valuable to ben and this style.:cool:

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I get it but where does that leave Washington when and if they dress 5? You think DJ comes in and beats out Washington for a helmet? I see some of the AB comparison but if he can match that work ethic is still a big question. It took AB a couple years and AB was more accomplished,already stronger and every bit as shifty. AB took those qualities he had to the highest level. I like the pick but I think enthusiasm should be a bit tempered. Getting off the line will be a lot tougher against NFL caliber CBs. In fact that is one of the biggest hurdles for a young WR. It's how they handle the physicality of press man. He will be tested. Not to mention the 5/6 WR will also be expected to cover punts and kicks as well ,if he wants a hat on Sunday's.

Yes working the ball down the field has always proven to be a effective strategy but more often than not we tend to stray from that for some particular reason. The run/pass ratio needs to come back down to Earth and how effectively we run the ball and how we choose to share the load in the backfield is more important than who or what the 5th WR can do.....

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    They're gonna keep 6 WRs. So unless someone comes out of nowhere the guys are set. I'd imagine DJ will be the 6th and a inactive until he gets up to speed. If he proves he can handle covering punts and kicks his value on the game day roster will surely be elevated. That could change things as well as far as how much he plays early. Unless he surprises and clearly outplays either Switzer or Rogers I can see him being brought along slowly until they have complete confidence in him. It's basically what they do with all their young WRs. They need to build up the trust between him and Ben. IMO with a veteran team looking to get off to a good start they are gonna go with the veteran WRs ,especially if they continue the trend of starters hardly playing in the PS. I can remember Washington showing out in camp and the PS but when it came to the reall thing it was a different story

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    These guys have to mesh early with Ben or he doesn't look for them. Washington had some mistakes early on and Ben got away from him for a while. He finished well but as soon as Eli got out there Ben was going for him. Ben throws to guys he's comfortable with.

I am also not saying Johnson is AB, what I am saying is he has those quick feet and change of direction features that made AB evolve. The work habits are up to the kid. AB has those. Those quick feet will help this kid against press man coverage. I'm saying many of the God given gifts are there, building on them are up to the kid. We also have a pretty good wr coach. Washington will play as well. Switzer will have a tough time if this kid meshes with Ben early but remember Ben is also having to mesh with moncrief first.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Maybe this is a "new" philosophy because it wasn't that way last year. James Washington was drafted despite his limited rte tree but due to his successful combat catches.

Also, it there isn't someone attacking deep then two deep safeties become one single high loading up the box...( 20 yd league scenario )

Cajun