1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I think our defense is going to be pretty good

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Apr 29, 2019.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our offense is going to take a major hit, but should be fine because I feel our defense is going to be a legit top 10 maybe top 5 at the end of the year. Not just in points but an actual eye test top 10 lol.

Heyward/hargrave/Tuitt = pretty good D line

Watt/bince/barron/bush/bud(ola maybe) = if bush works out and barron stays healthy, watch out. Weak link is bud.

Haden/hilton/nelson/sutton = removing burns and putting a corner who is a threat of int makes the group better.

edmunds/davis = I think this pair surprises people next year. I give edmunds a lot of flak(will keep doing it lol) but I respect him. Doubt he will be that flashy SS but he keeps learning and improving and he will be a force on the back end.

I personally think our mindset will start shifting this year. Offense slowing down but defense getting back to it's roots.

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Who are you, and what did you do to BBH?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    haven't you heard? being positive is the new negative lol

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I definitely think we should/could be better with the talent available. Now if only the coaches can stop confusing the players with multiple defensive calls on the same play and finally start to figure out how to better put them in a position to succeed,we may be on to something.

Then just when I start the feel positive about things, Butler opens his mouth. Dupree is some minute things away? So minute that himself,JP,Chuck Smith and Von Miller couldn't teach him. They are always making excuses for that guy. Then he says they're gonna stick with a 3 man OLB group. We know what we have in Dud. We know what we have in Chick. Is anyone else gonna get a legitimate chance to compete? Isn't it clear we could use more from the LOLB spot? Why draft one(Smith) then when the guys before him won't seem to have a chance either if they go with only 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Is it now edgy by not being edgy? If so, I have been edgy all along...I'm pretty cool, I guess!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Where are the turnovers coming from? The games are just track meets now ... team that wins are the ones that come up with the big play at the end.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont think the offense will take a hit at all. It starts up front and we are still as good as anyone there. Still have ben. He has weapons and with Conner, Samuel's and Snell the backfield is pretty versatile.

Chemistry will definitely be better

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nah85

Nah85 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Regarding our offense... look at the guys they’ve got, quick 7-10 yard throws will be key to setting up a big play. Wear down the opponents defense, we know Ben loves looking for the big play but may be time to wind down on that. Brown is not here so no need to force the ball to one player, spread it around using up the clock going down the field.

Defense will have to account for JuJu/Moncrief/McDonald... the other guys should feast on the quick intermediate throws.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm still worried about the D... it's gonna take a while, 2 seasons of drafting and free agency to get back to championship caliber. Hope I'm wrong. The offense will not decline simply for the fact that Ben won't be forcing throws to AB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Under Butler I don't think we will ever be stifling championship caliber imo. I think we can get up there and like you said not forcing to AB should prevent less turnovers.

A drama free, gritty hard nosed player atmosphere just might do wonders for this team imo. You still need offense in todays league, you also need special teams. Bears had the best overall defense last year. top 5 in points, yards, and I think #1 in turnovers. Their kicker cost them the game in the end just like our kicker eventually removed us from the playoffs from lost/tie games.

It's hard to pinpoint one winning formula in todays league, its a culmination of everything including coaching/injuries/luck/clutch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hoping for the best. However, I am still more concerned about the coaching staff than the players. Our level of talent has been as good as any other team in the league but we still get out smarted in tactics. This keeps coming into my head every time I think about losing to Jax in the playoffs and then against OAK last year as an example. The bus driver is as important as those who are riding on it and that hasn't changed much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agreed.

Bud still remains the weak link. What they see in him I have not the foggiest. My hope is that Olasunkanmi Adeyni has grown enough to the point of being the primary option behind Dupree.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers defense wasn't really terrible last year. They had a lot of sacks. They had some bad games, like the Chiefs, and Chargers.

The bad part was lack of turnovers. It seems like we hardly ever had an INT or fumble recovery. Our TO differential was terrible.

I think I remember a stat where TJ Watt had 5 forced fumbles, none which where recovered, or something to that effect.

On paper it would appear that our offense will not be as good as it once was. On paper it would appear our defense should be improved.

My personal belief in today's NFL you got to keep a team to 21 points or less. In most games this gives you a chance to either win or be in the game at the end. You get over that 24-25 point area, makes it much harder to win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I do think you need a couple of stars on a team, but that is really all any team can afford. As much has I hate to say it, you have to somewhat model your program after the Patriots. They seem to all work towards a common goal, and that is what sets them apart. Their no name players don't really know that they are "no name" players. For us, certain players are gone, the drama is gone, and we have the pieces. I think we will find out if the weak link is really the coaches (which to a degree I suspect is the case). Time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    you can't model after the patriots because their is the main factor that nobody else has, and that is bellicheck. Roll the dice and hope we don't play them in the playoffs and we might win #7 before ben hangs it up.

16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Let's hope the Chiefs or Colts can take out the Patriots. Those are the only 2 AFC teams that can compete with them right now. Chargers have a good roster, but choke worse than the Steelers vs. Patriots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Chiefs. Chargers are a huge chokefest. I just hope Brady/Bill just have career ending STD's from the nonstop kissing they all do and just retire. Kraft just goes away and patriots just sell the team and no longer exist.

18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Colts, too, IMO. Andrew Luck is due, IMO. Colts defense is better than the Steelers defense.

Texans, good defense, but never can get it together on offense against better teams.

Jags can easily whoop us and Patriots with Foles at QB. Foles has already proven he can beat the Pats when it matters.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I get that as well. Many have been excited about the RB position and possibility. We first it is all on paper. We have seen Conner as an acceptable back, but concerns with ball handling and endurance. Samuels filled in admirably (especially with his limited experience), Snell (while looking slow) has that potential to close out games and be an effective short yardage and goal line back.

Now will this develop in reality only time will tell. That said, if they continue the practice of running the legs on the feature back, then only use the back ups in very limited roles then nothing has changed. Over the last couple of years some winning teams have used a combination of backs to great success. Just one area if we see the same approach, or a new style.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Colts defense better than Pittsburgh's you say?! Intriguing. I would venture to say that, sans Malik Hooker and Darius Leonard, Pittsburgh has the superior talent.

21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Colts don't have the liabilities at OLB, CB and S... that Steelers do. We'll see. If Nelson can give us Ike Taylor or Bryant McFadden performance... CB won't be as big of an issue as in years past. CB still needs to be addressed... Haden is getting long in the tooth.

• Like Like x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Colts are on the rise as long as Luck stays healthy. They also had a really nice haul in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Interesting. Outside linebacker is still a question for them. Beyond Anthony Walker.. who else?! I will concede the secondary to you as I have stated. Everything else?! I will take Pittsburgh.

24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    talent wise no but they put their players in position to succeed. They went through stout periods because of that breakout star in Leonard and just ran out of steam vs the juggernaught chiefs team. Chiefs should've won it all last year lol

25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I can already see it now. First time in forever our defense is going to be real solid but unfortunately the offense isn't going to be able to put up points.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1