1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones (HBO) - Time to jump on board

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    As far as the question of "Who kills Cersei?" goes:

Remember her fortune said she would be queen for a time until a younger, more beautiful queen cast her down and took all she held dear. Then the valonqar would kill her.

Everyone assumes valongar means younger brother, so Jaime or Tyrion makes sense. But valongar is neither gender specific, nor possessive. It simply means younger sibling. Not even YOUR younger sibling. And that opens up some other possibilities.

At this point, everyone (probably safely) assumes the younger queen will be Dany. What I find amusing, is that while Sansa was betrothed to Joffrey, Cersei wondered if it would be her, and then dismissed it since she considered Sansa dim witted and naive. It's almost a certainty that Dany takes over, if only for a time. But it would be funny if it ended up being Sansa.

And regardless of who takes the throne, a younger sibling could still be Arya. Hell, it could be Jon since he's the youngest of Rhaegar's children.

If I were a betting man, I'd say it's Arya... disguised as Jaime. ;)

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    A distant air horn sounds...

Let's get ready to ruuuumble!!! :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  3. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I'd say that's a pretty safe wager. :D

I thought it would be Arya, but didn't think of the Jaime twist.

4. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Get HYPE!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    :D

IDGAF who dies Sunday night as long as I get my CleganeBowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    af33f86.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Dammnnnnn, that was better than the last couple super bowls!! Great episode!!

8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    In a way, it reminded me of the Falcons- Patriots Superbowl... :cool:

Dammit. Hurry up and watch, people! I need to talk about this! LOL

Until then, that. Was. AWESOME!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    A great episode lost to overly dark film with crushed blacks and fast jump cuts. I had to squint the whole time watching it. I had no idea what was going on half the time. Sorry, but that was lame. What a wasted effort.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I loved it right up until the sudden resolution. It was too much like Frodo throwing the ring into Mt. Doom.

Until then the episode was epic and completely riveting.

11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Turn your brightness up. It's set too low. ;)

I had zero trouble seeing anything. Either mine is set (too) high, or I got lucky.

I can nit pick that episode to death. And I thought for sure the death toll would be higher by a factor of 2 or 3. But I refuse to overthink it and instead just enjoy the entertainment.

The rather sudden resolution did seem a tad too easy. Although, considering maybe 20% of the people survived total if even that, "easy" seems over the top. The who of it, well, I'm sure that's even who in the books. It may go down differently, but the broad beats should be similar.

12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    f802cfa.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    I know what you mean. 6 Seasons building up to the "Long night", and it goes down like THAT. I feel like there should have been another battle or something before this one went down. Not enough payback for the buildup.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    there were some times during the battle that could have been more clear I agree. Guess they were trying to mimic the bum rush and vast numbers by the Night Lord's legion??

15. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    I get what they were trying to do, but it catered to those who had the perfect Home Theater setup. I'm not the only one apparently who thought this way, the net is littered with this complaint. Besides that, I was looking forward to seeing which sort of tactics they would use to fight an army of this caliber for seasons and instead it was met with idiotic tactics. The whole setup stunk. And you can tell they didn't consult with anyone who had an ounce of military strategy experience. The whole scene felt rushed and it just wanted to get to the end already. I have a whole list of complaints, but I digress. I'm trying to enjoy the show but they do make it hard sometimes.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    The night is dark and well, it's just dark. :lolol:

My wife and I thought the same thing, but figured it was because we watched it on HBO Now. We were in a pitch dark room and it was difficult to tell wth was going on at times. It's not my TV brightness. I realize the effect they were going for was chaos and confusion, but it wasn't exactly enjoyable as a viewer. Howard Stern often rants about this trend in television directing. I can't say he's wrong.

That aside, I thought it was a really good episode. I don't know if I would have even brought up the contrast issue if it wasn't already being discussed.

Lady Mormont goes out like a boss of course.

I didn't think the Night King was actually going to be in Winterfell this episode, but knew Arya was going to punch his ticket after the pep talk from Melisandre. I figured she'd be wearing a White Walker's face, which would have been cooler.

I was kind of thinking we'd see Ice Spiders. That would have been epic.

After fighting the entire army of the undead, King's Landing should seem like a spa day.

17. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, but with what army?

Unless they have a magically regenerating army, Houses in the Vale and North that missed all of the fighting, and the Riverlands, what's left of the Reach and Dorne ALL throw in with them, they're really outnumbered now.

Because they really made it seem like the Army of Winterfell in total suffered like 85% losses.

fc84da2.jpg

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, there’s 3 more episodes left to deal with Cersei now that Sauron... I mean the Night King... has been taken out, and the entire threat gone in the blink of an eye. Poof! One dagger stab and the gravest threat in history disintegrates into dust. Maybe there will be a satisfying ending for Cersei after the abruptly lame ending for Sauron.... oops, there I go again... the Night King, and all of his minions. Is it obvious that I feel let down?

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    This is what I thought as well.

I also thought the battle would be 2 episodes at the least, possibly 3. I thought it would be more of a seesaw battle.

Yea sending in the Dothraki was like my last date.....well, that was quick :lolol:

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    We should have seen that coming (quick, sudden end) by the way they hacked the original material (pun intended). They care not for subtlety, logic, backstory or motivation. They're not GRRM. They're Michael Bay. Fire, splodey things, blood and action. So by that standard, it's... it's fine.

Again, I can nitpick this to death. But no one wants to read that novel. :lolol: I choose to enjoy it for what it is. And pray we get the last 2 novels for the real story.

I truly believe that around the time they started writing season 5, they realized that it would take 10 more seasons to tell the whole story minimum. They had no desire to be on the same project that long - not to mention real world troubles like keeping actors under contract for that long - and decided to start fast forwarding and rushing to the end, gaps in plot or logic be damned. It is what it is.

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, they were hoping for more source material and apparently they didn't really get any besides the cliff notes version.

I think they were really excited to "adapt" a version, not write their own version. I think they painted their way into a corner with some of the choices they made and didn't have anything else to go by with Dorn and the Greyjoys. Hell where are the Reeds at in all this? A lot of the stuff they threw in is just fan service, so they can say they covered the bases.

With the limited run and smaller episodes, they really have to get to spectacle and shock and awe, not the tedious set-up and intrigue.

GRRM take whole chapters to write about someone that a main character only sees dead at the side of a road. No one is going to want that in the limited screen time of this show.

22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed somewhat. The lack of source material did hurt them. But they started hacking the story apart to fast forward well before they ran out of source material. They gave books 4 and 5 combined maybe 2 seasons. ASOS alone is easily 2 seasons. AFFC is easily 1.5 seasons. And ADWD is easily 2 seasons. (Yes, they'd need to shuffle AFFC and ADWD together, but you're still looking at 3.5 seasons minimum. Could be stretched to 4) And if each season is 10 episodes, we should be at the halfway point for The Winds of Winter at MOST. For all we know, that book will be dense enough for 2 seasons. Maybe I exaggerated the 10 more seasons. But the entire series done as well as can be would be about 12 seasons long. No matter how you look at it, they gave it a short shrift. But again, there's legitimate real world problems to keeping the show going that long besides just running out of enthusiasm for the project.

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh I get the material, is in 4 & 5m but much of those were just slog fests. Plenty of side stories that, while it works to build a world in the book, just wouldn't work to try and tell the story with actually producing it.

Many of the key "main" characters aren't even involved directly with some of the turning points in the books.

I would have liked to see the more developed Tyrion stuff leading up to him meeting Danny though. (he still hasn't in the books)

Hell, half the "worging" and dream stuff probably would be hell to try to come up with for the show.

For non book readers, and show only watchers, they wanted to try and limit the amount of characters they needed to follow. (I suspect it also helps with casting and budget) The number of characters needed for what the book's Dorne plotline is almost as many as they currently have on show!

I just think once they started merging characters, they really couldn't go all out with the branching storylines and just had to drop whole segments of the books because of it.

Sansa/Jayne, Jorah/Connington, Gentry/Edric Storm, etc. you really can't go in both directions when you do that. So they give a nod to the readers by a line of dialog and move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Almost a year ago, I read some "leaks" I assumed to be fake because they read like really bad fan fiction. After the last 2 episodes, he either guessed really, really well. Or they're true...

Prepare to be outraged. Just saying. ;) No. I won't list the leaks here. I'm still holding out hope that they play better in context. But i'm expecting a disaster of Lost proportions.

D&D have lost all interest in the show. That's clear. They had a check list of plot points they needed to punch, and they did it haphazardly with zero effort into making it internally logical or consistent within character development. What a shame. Want evidence they're phoning it in? They couldn't even catch THIS!

ac1ceb2.jpg

ROFL. Good to see Starbucks is literally everywhere, including Winterfell.

25. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I take issue with this meme. TWD has turned itself around the last 10 episodes. :lolol:

735e717.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2