1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst draft in years. It will set us back years!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 28, 2019.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The Steelers are switching to all white uniforms?

2. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
  3. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I'm on the other end of the spectrum here. Something has just felt different about this draft, I think its going to be the best one we've had in quite some time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Let's see. Let's think this through for just one second.

The pats needs WR and CB. They got a WR in 1, but we were 12 picks ahead of them. Did I miss them having to pick an ILB? You see, even if you pick 12 spots ahead, if you pick a different need at that position and then take that position the NEXT pick....you get the lower rated player.

Steelers Pick 20 ILB
    Pats Pick 32 WR

Even if we had kept Pick 52 and taken WR, guess what, they would have gotten the higher rated player. The reality is, your just a negative person. Good for you. We could have drafted the exact players that the Pats took and you would be complaining.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don’t see any future starters here besides Bush. And that is worrisome.

We lost AB and Bell, we really needed a redzone threat to make up for that production ... big WR or TE ... didn’t get either. Gentry looks like a practice squad project. I’ll be honest, unless James Washington really makes that 2nd year jump ... we might struggle to score points. And don’t say Vance will because as good as he is the coaches don’t seem to feature him in this offense.

Where are the turnovers coming from on defense? Really wanted some of the great pass rushers in this draft. Or another playmaking safety.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes replacing AB and his 15 TD’s is the big problem. If Conner stays healthy and Snell pans out we’ll be fine at RB.

I don’t think there was any single player they could have realistically signed that could replace AB’s production. Everyone needs to contribute more. They need 8-10 TD’s between Moncrief and Washington. They need more from Vance, Samuels and even similar production from JuJu would be fine. It could be ugly for a few weeks while they figure things out on offence. They’ll probably run a lot, at least early in the season. I think they’ll move the ball just fine but it’s in the Redzone where Brown is going to be missed most. It may surprise us all who steps up when needed.

It would be enormously helpful if the defence could improve, get a few stops and stop giving up big plays every game. They put a lot of resources into the defence so it’s reasonable to expect improvement here.

7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm actually not. I loved the last two drafts. You don't think it's a strange all these "experts" love this draft but for the last few years have been grading ours as "average" They graded the 2017 class as "average" and we got 3 pro bowlers. Solid back up QB and serviceable DB. But this draft was amazing and going to surpass that!? Yeah... okay

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I didn't like the 2017 draft except for Watt... and it turned out to be one of our best classes in years. It's way to early to pass judgment on '19 draft class. Plus, many of the Patriots draft picks could end up being scrubs for all we know.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Wait. You think the Patriots made a trade with the sole purpose of keeping a player from the Steelers? Seriously? Please tell me that was a bad attempt at a joke and don't really think something that silly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I loved the 17 draft. Watt. Juju was the type of WR we needed at the time unlike D Johnson. Conner. Dobbs looked like a great project. The only real miss was Brian Allen who has a lot of similarities to Justin Layne. They have the same measurables and both projects and like I've said Steelers have proven they cannot develop corners just look at Brian Allen. It's not a good sign Heinz, I've never hated a draft so much and EVER felt like the Patriots out drafted us but they did this year.

Not the sole purpose. Patriots do like to trade back to get more picks but I don't think it hurt they were keeping Metcalf away from us as well. A lot of the same measureables as Bryant who Belichick loved and tried to trade for multiple times. He also got lucky and never had to face him except once I think? He was suspended for most of the Patriots games.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Either of those hopes are optimistic at best.

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Too much opinion driven bs here. No one will know d!ck until the pads go on and then we'll know who is full of crap here. I am hoping these new additions add value and make the team better. That's all, carry on.

13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Well that's what we do on our forums, give our opinions. We all hope they will add value and make the team better. But what's your opinion of the players drafted and compared to recent drafts?

14. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm on record for flipping out over the JuJu pick. I thought Steelers needed a CB in the 2nd round more than a WR at the time. I'm glad I was wrong... and JuJu turned out to be a great pick.

• Like Like x 2
  15. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Anyone who thinks that Patriots made a draft day trade for the purpose of keeping a player from the Steelers is daft.

Even if you thought the Patriots would make moves to keep other franchises from getting certain players you do realize the Steelers missed the playoffs last year and lost their biggest offensive weapon? Are the Patriots also making trades to stop the Chargers, Chiefs, and Colts from getting who they want in the draft because those teams are as big, if not bigger threats to the Pats than the Steelers.

Good God. Thinking the Patriots would make trades to thwart the Steelers, rather than simply to improve their team as much as possible, is a surreal combination of paranoia and arrogance.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    This x 1,000

Steelers are not even top 5 in the AFC. Not even close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I remember a lot of forum members wanted us to take Lacy instead of Bell. I don't remember comments about AB because he was a throw away pick at the time. I remember on an old forum that many fans wants us to trade up for Robert Gallery in 2004 so we could protect Tommygun. The truth is, we won't know if this was a good or bad draft for at least two years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So it’s OK to say really dumb **** because it’s a forum? That sounds like a rule that people who say really dumb **** came up with.

Also how the hell is anybody’s opinion here going to add value and help make the Steelers better? Tell me you’re not under the assumption that your opinions and brainstorming have anything to do with how the Steelers run the team?

19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    .... says the message board Nazi.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    We always need a CB so I don't blame you. But I really liked Juju's game and I saw how that type of WR could compliment AB and Bryant. This Johnson pick just baffles me when we have Rogers, traded for Switz, and had a similar WR that looked pretty good and we waived him in Damoun Patterson.

We come here to talk about the Steelers. Some people liked the draft, some in the middle, and some hate it. I gave my analysis of why I'm not a fan of it. I'm sorry. First draft since 2012 that I absolutely hate. You think I wanted this?

22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    NFL.com post their post draft power rankings and falls right in line with what I said. Patriots #2. Browns #10. Ravens at #13. Ravens didn't have as good of an overall draft but added the pieces they needed to be better than the Steelers on paper. Steelers at #18. Like I said all those teams got better while we are stuck in neutral.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    SDOT,

It's not necessarily your conclusion that's mistaken, just that the reasoning you used to get there was just ridiculous.

Your entire premise was built by viewing the draft through the prism of the Patriots. "They got the higher rated player at every position!" "They intentionally traded their pick to the Seahawks to keep Metcalf away from us!" (Quotes are paraphrasing you with exclamation points added for entertainment effect, but you did essentially write those things)

As I and others have written, that's just ludicrous on so many levels. They've got better things to do, i.e. fill their own needs with the players they value and the picks they have, than to worry about who the Steelers may draft three picks behind them.

The draft should only be evaluated by how it helps the team not how it stands relative to the other squads since other franchises have different needs, priorities, methods, and philosophies entering a draft. It's not a zero sum game. Any number of franchises can "win" or "lose" the draft. 50% aren't winners and 50% aren't losers.

24. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I am as objective as anyone on this board.... We needed a middle linebacker to fill a huge hole and our defense and we got one.... A real good one.......

25. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Colbert knows what he is doing.... And that receiver we got is gonna be another wallace/holmes/sanders type receiver watch..... Colbert drafted shazier who would have probably been a hall of fame middle linebacker.... Steelers know how to draft. Not colberts fault the idiot does not know how to coach..........

• Disagree Disagree x 1