1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst draft in years. It will set us back years!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 28, 2019.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Miss use of picks and assets was horrible. For comparison, we had 12 spots on the Patriots and the trades of arguably the #1 WR and Top 5 RB. We targeted all the same positions as them; wr, corner, dl, ol, and rb. They got higher rated players at every position. For example, they got their WR in the 1st and we got ours in 2nd. They got their corner in 2nd and we got ours in 3rd. So on for every position. Of course this isn't the end all be all and we dont know where the Steelers had players rated. They had 7 picks in first 5 rounds and we had 5 and 4 in Rounds 6-7. How does that happen with 12 spots ahead and losing two elite players!? Teams are getting better and we are stuck in neutral.

Bush - I like it. But let's break it down. We lost #1 WR, Top 5 RB, 2nd, and 3rd to move up 10 spots to replace a player we lost to a freak accident. This is where I need to remind you even with prime Shazier this defense was no steel curtain and still got shredded by the Patriots.

D Johnson - I'm sure he will be great but he wasn't the wr we needed imo. The play was to use one of all those 6th rounders to move up 3 spots and get Metcalf. We have desperately been missing a Martavis Bryant. Washington has proven his college game doesnt translate to the pros. Not fast or big enough to take a top off defense. He would be better in a Juju role making combat catches over the middle. Also, everybody is comparing him to AB but you have to realize Ben/AB didn't get that chemistry over night it took years. Ben doesnt trust rookies as it is. Somebody running the whole tree and Ben has to throw the ball before he even comes out his route takes a lot of trust. This take years and remember Ben has 3 years left. Lastly, Switz was the only guy to defend Ben on TV and now he's going to get cut. I honestly believe Rogers or Switz could have filled this role for 3 years.

Justin Layne - He's a wr converted to corner and only played corner for 2 years. He's a project. The Steelers have shown time and time again they cannot develop corners. I dont know how you get excited about this pick.

Snell - One of the bright spots. But Samuels proved against the Patriots he's a solid back up or can step in if needed. Tomlin has also proven his whole tenure he will not do RB by committee. So this pick makes you scratch your head and makes you think this could have been addressed in FA with a vet.

Gentry - He's basically a Jesse James clone. Who I wish we kept by the way. Gentry is a weaker and cant jump as high as Jesse. Jesse benched 28 reps and Gentry did 12. All I can think of is how sometimes Ben overthrew Jesse or he made a tough catch with people on him. Is somebody way weaker going to hold onto it? Or the Patriots catch.

This was my least favorite draft since 2012. For the first time ever I feel like the Browns and Patriots out drafted us. Ravens didn't do as well overall but added the pieces that they needed and might be the better team on paper. I honestly think we are going to look back at this draft and regret not being aggressive the whole draft to fill with players who can make an impact as soon as possible. 3 year window.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The defense is no steel curtain, I'll give you that. But you need to be reminded that this defense helped beat the pats last year in a big way. And I feel its improved significantly headed into next year. Barron, Bush, and Nelson are all upgrades. Snell will be a perfect fit also, really excited about our RB's this year.

5. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Oh brother.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    This must mean you like this draft then! :)

See you Sunday Night against New England! :wave:

• Like Like x 2
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Have you no reading comprehension? SDOT has been protesting the NFL for 2 1/2 years now.

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Imagine if James Harrison became our coach lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

Aww man! I forgot! :lolol:

10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I forgot we aren't allowed to be subjective and suppose to blindly love it. I loved the last two drafts. Best draft position in years and the players we lost. This draft sucked! I'm sorry.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    20th was the best draft position in years? That seems like getting excited about being mediocre to me.

• Like Like x 2
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Boy, this board is full of Nostradumasses!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I really liked how Metcalf was the answer to all the offenses needs. Guy who looks a's big or bigger than David Boston, had issues running the full route tree and catching the ball but because he was really fast he could have opened up the underneath routes for Juju and been AB and Bryant's replacement at the same time. A guy so good that SDot's measuring stick of the Patriots passed on him more than once.

14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Bryant did wonders here running one route. Metcalf is faster and stronger than Bryant and not a druggie but hard worker. The Patriots purposely traded their pick to the Seahawks so they could get Metcalf and not us. Because we were too busy sitting on our hands with 4 picks in Rounds 6-7 and maybe one of those guys make the team. Maybe.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Steelers signed Moncrief for that vertical threat he has excellent speed and size and is relatively proven in the league.

Metcalfe is a bust waiting to happen. He is fast in straight lines but the three cone drill killed his draft stock, Tom Brady did it faster! I doubt the Steelers would have taken him even if he was there for them. Perhaps he goes on to be a league legend and KC & MT were wrong, we don’t know yet. Why didn’t the Pats take him if they though he was so good that they could mess up the Steelers draft by ensuring the Seahawks got him first?

16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I've watched Moncrief as a "deep threat" and I've already seen he doesn't get enough separation for Bens liking. Bens ints are going to go way up this year.

Patriots already got the best WR in the draft, Harry. So they weren't going to draft a WR. Cardinals just took a WR so they weren't going to take another. Patriots knew they were basically handing us our missing link so they found somebody who was going to take him. Just like how they took Chase Wino 6 picks before us. Usually it's the Bengals screwing us but this time it was the Patriots.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Why in the world would a team go to that much trouble to try and screw a team that's not in their division? Especially a team that you beat 9 times out of 10?

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    We might as well be in the same division. We play every year. Metcalf is a faster/stronger Bryant. Belichick loved Bryant and tried to trade for him multiple times. But they've settled on Josh Gordon.

19. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Exhibit #23092378 on how the Patriots are in everyone's heads.

Why are we trying to compare their draft by position vs our draft? It's just not relevant. For example, their need at WR was a lot more than ours, so of course they're going to use an earlier pick at WR than us. And as mentioned by the OP, they had more early picks than us so what's the point?

The name of the game is to use your picks as judiciously as possible to improve your team as much as possible. It's not to "out draft" other franchises.

I'm not saying I like this draft, but I am saying that comparing it to the Patriots, or any other team for that matter on a positional basis is silly. Every team has different needs and priorities.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    What were our needs? Because outside of our 1st pick. They got higher rated players at every position we targeted as well; wr, corner, ol, dl, and rb. We were drafting 12 spots ahead of them and lost 2 elite players. Horrible use of picks and assets. That was my point.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Lmao. All the other teams kick ass and we suck ass. How isnt we never pick in the top 5 with all these idiots that dont know what they are doing. I mean we have to trade up to 10 to get a taste of what it's like

22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Higher rated by who?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    So far so good, I'm looking forward to this long, intelligent draft critique.

Whelp, I'm out.

• Like Like x 4
  24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I’m not super crazy about this draft either. Sorry I’m not sorry.

First pick was great, past that it was questionable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yes, we don't know where the Steelers have players rated and given the Steelers history I usually give them the benefit of the doubt. But this draft was really bad.

I can say for certain they got the better wr, corner, and de. The WR they drafted actually owned the corner we drafted this season. OL is a crapshoot but they got one in the 3rd and 4th. We got one in the 7th. They only place we might have got them is RB because Snell looks like a beast and Alabama RB's are normally bust.