1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

D. Johnson....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by defva, Apr 26, 2019.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Steelers need to stop with this "we spent time and talked to them, therefore we have to draft them" philosophy.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough on that. Even so, how else are they going to know the person as a whole?! Have to start somewhere with them.

Prospects are people at the end of the day. They are not just players. It is a two fold process I am afraid. Simply knowing the player on the field is not enough. Knowing him off of it is as equally as important if not, in some cases, critical.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFan401

SteelersFan401 New Member

Apr 27, 2019
    I'm not saying he's gonna be a bad player. But this was a total reach. This also tells me that we're not fully invested in James Washington as much as we thought. I totally feel, regardless of what Darryl Drake said, that he would have been there by our second 3rd round pick, if not the 4th round. This felt like a shot in the dark to replace Antonio Brown, by digging deep in the MAC conference. As of right now, he's gonna be 4th on the depth chart. And he still needs to beat out Switzer and Rogers to even make that. This is a worst case scenario punt returner type of pick. To me, that's a waste of an early 3rd rounder. Especially when you have guys like Chase Winovich still on the board. On top of all that, he wasn't even the best receiver on the board! Like Miles Boykin, or even Riley Ridley .This specifically felt like an "on purpose" unnecessary dig into the MAC conference.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A real head scratcher.

5. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    According to the Steelers' WR coach, Arians (TB) was going to take him next pick.

If that is true, then the selection is no longer a reach. (He wouldn't have been there even 2 picks later in the 3rd round.) Arians and the Steelers have had more success with WR than most teams, so if they were both high on this player, I'm curious to hear how he does in practices later in the summer.

I'm guessing quite a few people will say he wasn't the right selection, reach or not. Time will tell. As another poster mentioned, a lot of people felt that way about JuJu right after he was drafted, and he turned out okay.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Smith-Schuster was never a reach where the Steelers took him. He was a good value at that spot. The complaint was that people thought the Steelers had much bigger needs to address at that point.

I don't buy self-serving hearsay from one of the Steelers' coaches. It could have been misinformation from Arians. It could have been made up. Regardless, the pick is still a reach. There were better options available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    When the dude dominates or becomes another juju, you all better delete your account.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That was my thought. Missy and Bob mentioned post interview that with both 3rd rounders it looks like Colbert was addressing Sp teams play because of how horrible they are. I get that, and Layne certainly fills that need (the man can tackle well), as well as a very good CB prospect to develop. But sp teams returns were not that bad. Hell you rarely see KO returns anymore, and Swtizer as a punt returner was not that bad, not great but above average. Mclauren has both WR/and kick experience.

They pick was made in seconds, literally. This was someone they targeted for some time, I do not get it and even if he turns out to be a brilliant pick you still have to call it a reach. Some places I reviewed did have him going anywhere from 3rd to 6th, IDK just smh and hope he works out.

9. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    And if he turns out like Dri Archer will you delete your's? I have no idea, IMHO it looks like a huge reach with so many other needs on this team. All of the video I have seen of him is against very low end talent. That is not his fault, but a reach is a reach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Arians has friends here, he sent a message to the WR coach, 'that's the guy I wanted." he did not say that he was the guy he was taking next. I am sure a lot of banter get's sent around like that, some in fun, some in jest, some for misinformation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Just remember who’s opinion matters in these decisions...

Steelers front office = 100%

Fans = 0%

And that’s a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    He's a steeler now so I hold out hope for him, but this seems like a shameless and desperate attempt to recreate antonio brown

13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    This is not about James Washington, this is about Switzer and Rodgers. This pick is as much about the return game as it is filling the slot as WR.

14. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    One .... I'm looking at the competition that he had to play against in college. Now, he's on a whole other level. But, we have found diamonds in the ruff before. I guess we just have to trust the process

16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Now, now. We can criticize management for a lot, but you have to give benefit of a doubt on this one. They must have seen something special and their batting average is good at WR.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Reach according to whom? The armchair GMS here? He had a round 3 grade.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Armchair GMs know how to build a team though!! Better than even those stupid coaches!! :goofy: Ask the "Dream Team" Eagles on that one! They will tell you!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm always amazed at how many draft experts are around who can't manage to actually get hired by an NFL team. Lot of wasted talent on here.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    In case you didn't see this one.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It wasn't an area of need. We need a WR to take the top off the defense not an Eli Rogers clone. The Patriots screwed us but so did the Steelers sitting on 6 picks in last 4 rounds. They should have moved up for Metcalf. That's who the offense needs.

22. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The Steelers seem to know what they are looking for with WRs and they passed on a guy that everyone said they loved (Boykin) to get Johnson. I'm going to wait before I freak out that they took someone unexpected.

23. SteelersFan401

SteelersFan401 New Member

Apr 27, 2019
    But so early in the draft for a #4 receiver? JuJu, Moncrief, Washington then Johnson? A high value pick for a punt returner? There was literally an ELITE pass rusher on the board. Not to mention, better receivers like Hakeem Butler who just went today, Riley Ridley etc. This was a reach. However you wanna look at it. We can get a backup WR/ST player in the 5th round. Not early 3rd.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats not what a reach means. His talent warrants a 3rd rd grade. You may not like the pick but that doesn't make it a reach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Glad u know the conversation