1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2019 Draft Talk Thread - NO SPOILERS

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 25, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Harry?! I thought he could be one of them.

Marquis Brown?! Not a chance! Caught me off guard too!

2. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I suppose then Kevin is looking at it from a different perspective. Only thing I can think of is B1G vs. Big XII. Long Jr. might have faced different circumstances than Bush Jr. did.

Keep in mind that the B1G Conference is as tough and gritty as one can find. Big XII is mainly the "BOMBS AWAY" conference. If that is not one of the other "minor reasons", I am not too sure what else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I hear you.

I do believe Bush only had 11 missed tackles in his career. I believe Long lead the NCAA in missed tackles in 2017 and 2018 for his position.

Now I would have preferred to stay at 20 grab a CB or S, or even Montez Sweat and take Pratt in the 2nd, but it's over now.

I'm not sure of Bush 's ceiling but it's not like he is going to bust. He's a sideline to sideline guy but just might not be a playmaker.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    image.jpeg Perspective is correct. Stats never tell the whole story.....guess who that player is?

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I watched every game I could find on both Bush and Long. I like Long as a 3rd round kind of prospect, but Bush is head and shoulders better on film. It’s not even close IMO.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

... :hmm:

This person.... his stats... they are familiar. I cannot put my finger on it.

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'll give you a few more minutes in case someone else wants to take a shot

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    BS anderson, hill, Montgomery. It's still football. We saw what mr. Wonderful did against a good team like the buckeyes. The big 10 was pretty average.:cool:

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh I never said it was the definitive reason! :lolol:

I am only assuming what could be the reason for the trade up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well... I am tapping out. My mind is a bit blurred here. :lolol: Who?!

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Enough to give up that much? Production says different.:cool:

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    None other than Dirty Red....

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey at least you and NYSteelerfan can finally agree on something :roflmao::shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    We’ll see. Stat production in college at LB means very little. If it did, Ben Burr Kirven with his 176 total tackles would be a top 5 pick. Every year there are plenty of college LBs who stuff the stat sheet who have little or no NFL-worthy traits. Bush’s NFL pedigree is very obvious on tape IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  15. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Bush could always be a dud, but I'm ecstatic we went after him. He's a great athlete, less raw than we normally take and has high character.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    How so? 10 sacks or the one turnover? Because he runs fast? The solo tackles and the other numbers should be much better for a guy to be worth a first, second and third. He don't have that kind of pedigree. I will never think he is worth that much. :cool:

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Never say never.....what if he turns out to be the next Potsie?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The Steelers were a year late. They should have paid this price last year for one of the linebackers that went in the first round. But now it is what it is and I hope Bush makes the defense better.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm still in shock that we moved up to #10, and then picked Bush. Quoting myself from 6 weeks ago.
    I've watched every single play of his from the last two years, some games multiple times, and I wasn't ecstatic about the idea of him being the pick at 20.

Ultimately, I like that the Steelers were aggressive and went right after their guy, but it's the first time in a long time where I was shaking my head on day 1. If Bush doesn't perform like a top 10 pick this year, Colbert should be fired. Usually I'm talking people off the ledge. I guess it's good for me to see how the other half lives for once. :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Exactly. Colbert stuck his neck out on this pick. If he's right, great move. Got the guy you wanted at a position of need. If Bush isn't all that, given his recent 1st round troubles, Colbert should be on thin ice.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

For what it is worth, as you said big boss, trading up means it has to be a sure fire thing. As you said months ago, Bush might not be a plug and play linebacker day one. There are still some unknowns with him.

That all being said, I do trust Colbert's judgement on this one. The last two players he traded up for helped Pittsburgh acquire #5 and #6 respectively. Here is hoping Devin Bush Jr. can lead us to seven as his indirect predecessors could.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    What if he performs like a Top 10 pick in nickel and dime packages on passing downs, but struggles against the inside run in our base defense? I think that’s a very possible outcome in 2019. I like him a lot. I’m not thrilled that we gave up that much capital to get him, but I would have been pretty happy with him #20. He’s here now, and the compensation is what it is, so I’m hoping he’s the true 3 down replacement for Shazier that Colbert and company seem to think he is.

23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Just found out i gota wrk tmrw, after they told me i was off on Sat.. what time does the draft start tmrw.?.. Looks like im gona miss some of the draft, prob the first time in 30+ years :mad:

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok while I got you here on the ledge. First I want to welcome you:smiley1:. While we're here discussing whether or not Colbert shoukd be fired if Bush bombs,just like you said in your post 6 weeks ago he may have to be schemed into success. How much of that blame and responsibility should go to the DC who should of been fired already and the HC who seems to be dabbling and influencing the scheme as well? Let's hope we don't have to answer those questions at the end of the season....again.

25. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    How abt we trade a player to move back into the 2nd round. Trade Dupree for a 2nd and a 5th..???

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1