1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

With the #20 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 22, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

CGJ did meet with the Steelers at the combine. Why Colbert skipped Florida for Texas though is interesting. That is a big dent in CGJ being the pick. A shame really.

Among the multi role chess pieces in this draft, only Nasir Adderly grades higher. Keep an eye out for Deionte Thompson though. Both Tomlin and Colbert were at Alabama's Pro Day. That being said, there is no telling whether or not they have met with Thompson the same.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    @thesteeldeal this would be his role as a rookie

4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    3 words: Rock Ya Sin

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Hell no, Peter King doesn't know what the heck he's talking about saying they take him at #20.

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Great but if you believe all the talk of Ya sin, he'll be doing it for somebody else.

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He's not the only one saying it though

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Everybody lies this week, don't believe most of what you hear. I call BS on these reports, it's not like Tomlin is telling people who he likes, I don't know where the media comes up with this crap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    We'll find out soon enough. I will be doing some early research on the best new TVs

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Metcalf top 10 too ;)

Burns may make it out of the top 10 but I give 0% chance he reaches us.

11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    One mock has us taking Lonnie Johnson Jr. a CB from Ky. with pick #20. I hope this doesn't happen, Johnson has incredible physical skills. He is 6' 3" and weighs 215 and runs a 4.52 forty but he has terrible football instincts.
    He only has 1 career pick at Kentucky and at times is lost on the football field. He is moving up on mock drafts because teams have fallen in love with his physical ability and think that they can coach him up to play at the NFL level.
    The Steelers have been down this road before with Dupree and Burns and they have to pass on Johnson and actually pick someone who knows how to play the game of football.

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    The only spot inside the top 10 I could see Burns going to is Detroit and I think they will go elsewhere.

I wouldn't argue against Metcalf going top 10 as both Jacksonville and Buffalo would be in play. Who knows maybe even Detroit sees him as a Calvin Johnson like player

13. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I think that was Daniel Jeremiah's mock. Almost threw up when I saw it.

I saw another mock that had us taking Amani Oruwariye at #20. Let's hope not.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    With only 1 career pick, I highly doubt Johnson is the pick just because of all the talk this pre-draft about them looking for defensive playmakers.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    This would be a favorable outcome in my eyes. Trade down 5-8 spots, get Savage and then like you said move up in the 2nd or 3rd for whoever..

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    They're never gonna do it. They will do their usual sprint to the podium and claim that whoever they pick they wanted all along and never even considered trading back and miss out on a guy they all unanimously had as the best player on their board.....sound familiar?

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Just so happens that is who I picked for Detroit and Buffalo in our mock :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mcgee

Mcgee Active Member

Oct 2, 2016
    I think we pick Noah Fant in the first and Parris Campbell in the second. I think Ben has more say than most people think. Then our ILB in third. Just not thrilled with Bush or any of the corners early in this draft. Maybe Patrick Peterson in a trade, seems he wants out of Arizona.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I just bought a new TV last month, I would hate to have to break it if they drafted Ya Sin at #20 :lolol:.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I’m gonna say Ferrell or Burns

21. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm going out on a limb and say this (trading up not withstanding), if we don't pick Bush with our first pick it will be Fant. Fant will go around our pick and I wouldn't be upset with him. I'm telling you, he has more potential then our (Iowa) other TE (Hockenson) who will go higher. Hockenson has been more consistent, really defining consistency, but Fant could be special. As disappointed as I might be not getting a defensive play maker, which I think Bush is, I won't cry if we get Fant.

• Like Like x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You might want to try and find a slightly used straight jacket on eBay. That's what I'm gonna do ,its probably cheaper. This Dave-TE Thomas guy also nailed the Burns and Edmunds pick. He may have more inside information than you're giving him credit for....prepare for it.

Colbert has been talking lately about how they have their own board,how this years FAs won't effect their draft,how they really don't want rookies to have to start. The thing that doesn't jive is his comments about changing the way they draft CBs. How they should maybe start looking more for playmakers than physical CBs. Maybe old habits die hard and they just can't help themselves. Would totally be on par with a lot of their other decision making to draft a CB known for his physicality when they are gonna make PI a challengeable offense. Talk about a 1 year wonder.....

I went from being excited about this draft,thinking there no way they can screw this up,to trying to figure out how I can score some blood pressure medication. They can't really do this can they?

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    "
    ANSWER: After every season, Steelers President Art Rooney II meets with select members of the media and gives his thoughts on the team’s performance and then answers questions: When he began this year’s version on Jan. 16, he cited two things as primary reasons why the team missed the playoffs: “a lack of even an average kicking game,” and “our minus turnover ratio … on defense we just have to be aggressive in taking the ball away and finding players who can do that.”

As for the statistics supporting that contention, with eight interceptions in 2018, the Steelers tied their all-time franchise low in that department, and the record they tied was set in 1940 when teams played an 11-game schedule and opposing offenses just didn’t pass the ball that much. So, the defensive playmaker mantra I have been repeating through this pre-draft process is my own, but I would consider it an obvious conclusion."

- taken from Steelers.com

I remember that quote from Mr Rooney. It essentially translates to "We need a defensive playmaker who is going to cause turnovers."

A defensive player, who creates turnovers, that fits the Steelers mold. I believe the list of players that fits that mantra include:

Devin White (via trade - Mr Rooney has acknowledged we do have extra ammunition this year that would allow for this)

Byron Murphy
    Clelin Ferrell
    Brian Burns
    Darnell Savage
    Devin Bush

This is the list I have it narrowed down to. These are the guys most likely to still be around at #20 who fit the criteria, except for White who in my opinion, is the only player we would trade up for in round 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i wouldn't doubt a ya-sin pick what so ever. they want turnovers from the DBs. i'm still not ruling out love either. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1