1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is in play

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Apr 16, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He certainly checks their boxes and one of the few Colbert ProDay visits. Throw in Tomlins love for VA. area guys and he's looking more and more likely. Thoughts on Simmons ,how early do you take that risk?

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    he has a double whammy, torn ACL and domestic assault in 2016 (on a female no less). Don't think the Steelers would bite but if they did, I wouldn't go higher than 4th. Not so much the ACL, although that's big, but the checkered past would be a hurdle.

3. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh I didn't know about the assault....yeah he's out

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Really makes me think the Steelers are doing some slight of hand this year.

Camera in the war room. Not sending the house to some obvious pro days. Last year there were late rumours that Terrell Edmunds could go 1st round. That leak obviously came out of the Steelers.

As I've said I think the Steelers will be drafting a playmaker on defense. Everything else is just a smokescreen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep. Never want to tip one's hand to other teams; rivals doubly so and no less.

On that note, it is just becoming more and more clear that, should he be available by pick 10, Devin White is the guy. It is as you said after the combine; too many aspects adding up no less. Pittsburgh needs a defensive playmaker in the worst way.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    what about dexter lawrence? not a lot of love around here given to him. we could move up a couple of spots and nab him. extremely disruptive, huge and fast for 346lbs. 5,05 40. makes teams double him. could he and hargraves be a two man wrecking crew in our sub packages as the two down linemen? would force teams to double them and free up TJ and dupree a little. at least make them add help which eliminates extra receivers into the play. which in turn helps barron roam the middle and our third safety able to come down and help. thoughts?:cool:

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I am not counting him out entirely myself. My biggest issue is where is the likes of Lawrence fitting?! Unless the team is going more so to a 4-3 look, I am not too certain. Granted, as you said, him and Hargrave would be something special. Keep in mind though he was suspended for PED usage.

Now, as for him not making to 20, I doubt it. Granted, I have him highly rated; top 10 overall in the draft, but this draft is too talented and too deep on the interior defensive lineman for Lawrence to even get into the top 20 and nevermind the top 10.

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hmmmmm.....I thought a DL isn't a big need and he would have to start?

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Are you saying that you think we'd move up to take White if he falls to pick #10? The draft pick chart says that the move up to 10 (Denver) would cost our 2nd, 4th and the 5th we got from the Raiders for AB. All we would have left before the 6th round is two 3rd rounders, in a draft where we have several needs and there is excellent depth at some of our positions of need. Not a wise use of draft capital for a team that just signed a new ILB and restructured the contract of it's other starter, making him un-cuttable.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Who knows honestly?! It is difficult to say whether or not Pittsburgh does at all. As I said, both the Jimmy Johnson and Harvard value chart are outdated; further confirmed by Kevin Colbert at the owners meeting. Teams use their own value chart to determine whether or not the price is right.

In short?! It is all about finding the right trading partner. Not that I would be happy with Pittsburgh doing so however. As you said indirectly, too much capital to give up. Devin Bush is the other option but where is he going?!

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don’t see them trading up, at least in the first. There is so much defensive talent this year they can sit back the first 2 rounds and grab some really nice defensive players.

Only trade up I see is if someone unforeseen falls in round 2 or 3.

I’m almost thinking we use all 10 picks, the argument could be made that we need a player at every position except qb, and the kickers if they decide they are not looking to replace them.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    If you read what I said he would in sub packages.:cool:

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    .....and Williams wouldn't?

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not as big. 43 lb. difference ,we have that in tuitt and alualu. More of a DE in our system. Keeping mccullers seems to show they want a bigger DT type. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It's not worth going back and forth on a player we will only see in our dreams. I'm sorry but if you can't recognize the talent that QW is,I can't help you. He can be used all over the DL. If you're big on tape....it's all right there.
    Keeping McCullers and his 10% snap counts was just to have a big body on the goal line and short yardage it doesn't show they want a bigger DT type because he's the only one on the roster. I don't see any value in trading up a couple spots for a run stuffer DT so he can see 10% of the snaps as well.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i never once said qw wasnt talented. i also didn't mean DL would just see mccullers snaps. sub packages that we run a lot with two down linemen would be a nice fit. we need more run stuffing from the D-line. i think they do want a bigger player also for those 10% sanps. i want a casey hampton in his early years, with size and quickness added for several reasons. any guy off clemsons front would be a welcomed site. i like lawrence better for his size. :cool:

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    QW> Lawrence or Wilkins....easy. He's versatile to play all over the DL. Watch the tape. They moved him all over. Your assessment that he is more of a DE is incorrect. He played NT too. 6'2 305 same size as Hargrave. I understand you wouldn't want to trade picks,that's a totally different argument.
    All players(QW and the Clem. guys) available at 20. Who you taking?

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    thats the problem williams wont be there at 20. lawrence will be close. wouldnt cost near as much if we had to move to get him. both are studs at what they do and are freaks.:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I don't think Steelers will move up in round 1. I can see them moving up in the 2nd round spot, especially if there is someone they really like and he falls out of the 1st.

20. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That would certainly be more in character. Also, as another poster mentioned... we have a lot of needs... i'd hate for us to give up a ton of picks.

21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I agree we have needs. But, all 10 picks won't make a 53 man roster. We have some trade bait with that many picks. Better off with 7 guys than 10.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Fair enough but one scenario had us trading away too many early-round picks. I really like your scenario of trading up in the second or even third round were the cost is lower. I still can't believe we didn't get at least a 2nd rounder for Brown... what an f-ing tool :@

• Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Murphy
    baker
    Savage
    ya-Sin

I think it's one of these guys. :cool:

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011