1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Draft Strategy Prediction

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Apr 12, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    A 2nd and a 3rd or 4th? Yes they have needs but would you rather have a shot at a better group of players or play it safe and hope your 5-7 round guys pan out. History is not on the side of late round picks.The team is built to win now and sometimes you have to take chances to draft those difference makers that put you over the top. Your talking two picks if that's all they would be looking for. It's not a no brainier but it's not the worst idea either. Josh Allen and Quinnen Williams are difference makers. It would still leave us with a 3rd and or a 4th and a 5th ,three 6s and a 7. Which I woul also try and use to move higher up.

2. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Quinnen Williams. Hargrave is a FA next year and we have spots open on the DL right now.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    These would be my strategies

1. If Devin White is available at #10:

Call Denver and offer picks #20, 66 and 83 I. Return for pick #10. Draft Devin White.

For the record I would not do this. It is too much to give up. However, ILB is perceived to be a big weakness on our roster. White us widely considered to be the best ILB in this draft. I'm not sure if you could argue otherwise. I dont think he is as good as Roquan Smith was last year, but if you can walk away from this draft with a day 1 started at ILB, that can be seen as a big win. I'm seeing alot of Devin White to Tampa at #5 which would make this scenario non existent.

2. If Devin Bush is available at #20, draft him.

Once again, I am not a fan of this although more and more I am thinking Bush will not be available anyways. I always had Devin White going to #11 to Cincinnati. However, if White goes before that than I think the Bengals go Bush at #11.

I don't think Bush plays up to his measurables and I don't think he plays as fast as that either. He's also short for an inside backer.that being said, if somehow he is there at #20, I would not be surprised at all if the Steelers take him.

3. Take the best CB

Yes we have Haden and yes we just cut Nelson a pretty big check to play opposite. We also have Hilton who has played great but still have not committed to long term. Artie Burns looks like a major miss and Sutton and Allen have not proved enough yet.

CB is still my #1 concern.

Murphy, Baker and Greedy all offer different flavors. Greedy is cocky and has all the measurables but I would be stunned if he is who we took. With all the attitude issues we recently got rid of, I do t see us bringing in Greedy.

I can argue Baker vs Murphy all day. I like them both. I think they both have really high floors but I think Murphy has a higher ceiling and is more likely to create turnovers which according to Art Rooney II is a major focus. Give me Murphy.

This is my preferred strategy.

4. Shore up the Offense

Our offense is our meal ticket and we just lost an All-Pro WR and RB. I am sure there are people who will be pushing to add an offensive weapon. We have not taken an offensive choice in Round 1 since 2012. (DeCastro). Before that, it was Pouncey in 2010, another linemen. There may be some who will be clamouring for a weapon.

I know Hockenson would be extremely on our list. WR may be a bigger need than TE, however, I could make an excellent argument on why Hockenson is better than any WR in this draft.

If we do key in on a WR, my choice would be AJ Brown. He could start in the slot day 1 and would be a force there. Size, speed and route running, he has it all.

I think Metcalf is gone before #20 but I don't see him as a can't miss, complete receiver. PFF has called him closer to Martavis Bryant than Julio Jones. I happen to agree.

With the departure of AB I see no way we take Marquise Brown.

Parris Campbell is interesting. But AJ Brown is certainly more complete. I would be happy with Brown but I still prefer to go defense at #20.

5. Take the best pass rusher.

Sweat? Burns?

Sweat could conceivably fall although I'm doubtful. Burns could very well be there too although I've read rumours we could be looking at him as a ILB?

I don't look at Ferrell as a 3-4 OLB but could his achievements and character put him on our radar?

6. Wildcard Scenario

This would be impossible to predict. A RT? A FS? A NT?

There are gonna be alot of great players still on the board at #20. Could be some great Clemson defensive players still on the board. Maybe all of them in Ferrell, Wilkins and Lawrence.

Do we fall in love with an athletic freak like when we took Edmunds last year? Do we shock some people and take Darnell Savage?

We could conceivably have the option to take the best interior offensive linemen. We could be looking at the 2nd or 3rd best Offensive Tackle.

Moreso than any other year in the last 10, I don't have a great feel for what the Steelers will or should do.

If it's me, I am taking a high character, highly productive, day 1 starter, preferrably on defense.

My choice throughout the entire process continues to be CB Byron Murphy, Washington.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Jets are still looking to stockpile and build they are a couple years away. We are in win now mode. Fans have to decide whether we need to go for it now or draft for our future. You can draft for now with a eye on the future but if you want to win now with the veteran team we have,you need to gamble on a couple missing pieces. You can't realistically have it both ways. Free agency and veterans at key positions make it wise to try and win now in our current situation.

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Nice write up! Just to play devils advocate for a second....
    Bush is only a 1/2 inch shorter than White per the Combine.
    I feel TE is a bigger need than WR.
    AJ Brown may very well make a fine slot receiver but they like to use JUJU in the slot to take advantage of matchups. On top of that they already have 2 pure slot receivers for when JUJU plays outside.

Aren't Sweat and Ferrell both basically 4-3 ends based on size and their experience? While Sweat probably has the edge athletically, Ferrell may have more natural ability. Honestly I haven't watched nearly enough to be confident in that. My point is if Sweat is a option to play 3-4 wouldn't Ferrell be as well? Just my speculation.

Murphy wouldn't be a starter day 1 unless someone got hurt.

High character,high production maybe not day 1 starter because of the 9 million dollar man but Ferrell checks a lot of boxes. Including Colberts ProDay attendance.

I've definitely been surprised before but from everything I've been hearing and reading it could very well be between Bush and Ferrell depending on who's available.

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I think White is 6' flat where as Bush is 5'11 flat. 1" but I get what you are saying. Size wise not a big difference. For all this athleticism Bush has he only had 40 solo tackles. I think the Steelers would trade you for White. I don't think they would for Bush.

I agree, TE is a bigger need than WR.

AJ Brown can play inside or outside just like JuJu. You can move them around to create matchup problems. AJ Brown is 6'1 230 with 4.4 speed. He could live on the outside if need be.

I doubt either Sweat or Ferrell will make a home in the NFL as a 3-4 OLB. They both look more like 4-3 DEs. Athletically, push comes to shove, I think Sweat could do it. I love alot of things Ferrell does on the field. Standing up and dropping into coverage wouldn't be one of them.

I know we paid Nelson a nice chunk of change but I think Murphy would catch and surpass him pretty quickly. We would have the luxury to wait if necessary. Even still it doesn't hurt to have 4 high quality CBs.

Once again I love Clelin Ferrell. Watched him alot this year. I just don't know if he is gonna make a living dropping into coverage too often. As for Devin Bush, great workout numbers, but is he a true football player?

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hargraves is a starter and we have starters at every position along that line. You don't move up in the first that far for a backup.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not going to happen, if White dropped some to 10 or lower then maybe. I'm not moving in the top 5 when they have to fill holes at WR, TE, FS, CB, ILB, RB.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

He did drop some at Clemson. More often than not though, their pass rush got to the opposing QB before anything could develop. While he does have the experience, how good is he is another question.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    To go up from 20 to 3 might take next year’s 1st, this year’s 2nd, the 3rd we got from the Raiders and a future 2nd or 3rd. That may not even do it, because the Jets should reasonably expect our 2020 picks to be in the lower half of the round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Honestly speaking, I really feel as if Darnell Savage Jr. could be the pick. Too much is adding up for him not to be. They are as follows:

Playmaking ability?! Check.

Pre Draft Visit?! Check.

Power Five Conference?! Check.

Top character?! Check.

Top notch athlete?! Check.

The only major aspect against him is Pittsburgh not bringing the house to Maryland's Pro Day. That usually is a big indicator on whether or not said player is the guy.

The other major question is as I brought up in another thread; finding the right trading partner. Who would that be?! Difficult to say at this point. New York really wants to trade down but I do not understand myself. Denver could but with Drew Lock likely on the board, I would doubt they entertain the idea.

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I appreciate your knowledge and your opinions. I agree with a lot of it. I'm not sold on Bush either and my thinking about trading up with the Jets to 3 isn't for either White or Bush. I'm looking at Allen and Williams at that spot. I'm definitely not buying into just because we have Hargrave we shouldn't be salivating at the chance of drafting QW. He or Allen takes our D to a new level. Williams is a beast and the same guys thinking he's not a huge upgrade along our DL are probably the same guys who didn't want Aaron Donald when he came out either.

As far as Ferrell or Sweat I'm not as concerned as some about their ability to cover. I don't remember that being a issue when we had JH and LW terrorizing QBs. Maybe we ask them (Dupree) )to drop more because their actual pass rush is so abysmal . It would be nice to be able to have the secondary cover and the OLBs get after the QB again.

I defer to you and your opinion on Brown because you clearly know his skill set better than me. At the same time I don't want any WR in the first. Too much depth there to use the 20 on. I'm m not opposed to Murphy depending on how the board falls. I just think the right guy at ILB,OLB and even DL will have a bigger impact. Jmo

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    We have starters at every position so...........

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah it's just a thought. I'm not really sure what it would take. I guess it depends on how eager the Jets are. It's more hypothetical. Would you do it if it cost us our 1st,2nd and the early 3rd? I know we have holes to fill but do people really think we ar gonna knock those pins(needs) down just like that. I'm taking about the hypothetical chances of drafting Allen or Williams.

15. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think you go from #20 to #3 and give up all that draft capital unless it is to go up and get a franchise QB. That's just my opinion.

I was big on Donald when he came out in 2014 even though he didnt fit our scheme. He was just so good. Then again we got Ryan Shazier who was my favorite player in that draft.

I feel the same way about Ed Oliver as I did Aaron Donald. i think he's an all pro all the way.

If he fell out of the top 10 I would be considering it even if he doesn't fit our scheme. I doubt he gets out of the top 10 but he wouldn't get past Miami and Atlanta.

16. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Here's my wishlist: 2 scenarios...

Round 1. Devin Bush IB
    Round 2. Hakeem Butler WR
    Round 3. Juan Thornhill S
    Round 3. Mecole Hardman WR
    Round 4. Foster Moreau TE

OR

Round 1. Hakeem Butler WR
    Round 2. Chase Winovich OL
    Round 3. Juan Thornhill S
    Round 3. Mecole Hardman WR
    Round 4. Foster Moreau TE

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I just remember how average we looked in the last game when AB sat out. We should look for a guy that has some of that skill set that could matchup well with how our qb plays. He is our strength. I think a j Brown has some of those qualities.

We also lost burnett. We still want that 3 safety look on defense. Allen isn't that guy savage could give us a very good 3 safety coverage grouping. He would also be here if we do lose Davis next year. Savage has so much range. He could make a huge difference back there in the dollar role.

I do think long jr. and Johnson are very much in play with the 3rd or 4 th round pick. They will need coached in coverage but with Barron here we have time. They do so much of the other things well around the LOS and in the other teams backfield, not to mention the speed to get sideline to sideline.

CB with that pick in the 3rd would get us a good player still. We have the 2nd pick in that round and a few 6ths to use to move with if needed. I'd move in the 2nd or 3rd if we are moving. Much better value and less to give up to move.

1. Brown
    2. Savage
    3. CB
    3. Possible trade up bait for 2, or 3 up into the bottom of 2 to get our guy.
    3. If it falls right, johnson, or long jr.. They could possibly be there in the 4th and we have 3 6th round picks to move if possible in 4and 5.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Plus, dollars to donuts, they will re-sign Hargrave. Very good payer.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If the Jets are looking at Josh Allen, then they need an edge player. Colbert could throw Dupree in the mix plus some picks. I would go Quinnen Williams if Murray is #1 and Bosa #2, but if its between Bosa and Allen, I'd go Allen. A lot of speculation but there's no way in hades it happens imo. Fun to discuss though.

I thought I heard a rumor Detroit wants to trade down and so does Denver. Detroit for sure though.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think there's a rumor on Montez Sweat having an enlarged heart and some teams have taken him off their board. They said some other athletes have the same condition but they are in different sports. Just something I saw the other day...

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Brown, bell, burns, burnett, james, fort, walton, shazier, timmons, bryant, dupree sensabaugh need replaced.

Dupree is still here.
    Bryant - moncrief
    Shazier - Barron
    Timmons -
    Fort -
    James - grimble -depth- bucky hodges
    Burns - nelson
    Walton - depth- hooks, sayles, sheehe, craig.
    Bell - Conner
    Brown -
    Burnett -
    Sensabaugh -

:cool:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey I get it every one has their opinion. I just don't see a swap of firsts,a second and a third giving up that much to go from 20 to 3 especially if you feel there is a player there that changes your entire D. We still probably come out way ahead in the point system. Not that it's the be all end all but it's a guide. It's almost certainly pure speculation anyway. It's hypothetical and having some fun. I just don't understand the thinking that a guy like Allen or Williams isn't a huge upgrade to what we have. QW is a game wrecker. Oliver is a dominant player as well. They are every bit the prospects Donald was. There's a reason QW is a top 5 pick

We can sit back and continue to complain that the Steelers never have a chance to get difference makers because they always pick in the bottom third of the draft or we can be agressive. Identify that player that can provide a substantial impact on either side of the ball and try and do what it takes to get him.
    How many backflips would we be doing if Josh Allen fell to us at 20? Well if you have a realistic chance of going up to get him, you have to entertain it. I understand there is a risk/ reward and a investment of draft capital to be made but the pay out could be substantial.

Almost everyone here is doom and gloom thinking about when Ben is gone. Yet unwilling to take a chance to try and go get the pieces that may be needed to put us over the top. The entire draft is a crap shoot. You can sit back and hope this player or that player falls in your lap and you can prematurely check boxes that this need was filled just because you selected a player at that position. Obviously there are no guarantees and playing it safe and simply waiting your turn doesn't guarantee anything either. We moved up for Troy and I don't think anyone would ever say we gave up too much. In fact in hindsight we would throw more picks his way to get the same results. It's impossible to say which approach is right or wrong. Hanging on to and stockpiling picks doesn't guarantee more success. We've seen almost entire draft classes not make it in the NFL.

I guess it's a pointless argument because we have no choice but to trust in whatever they decide to do. For some teams that are a few years away,the picks are more important. IMO for a team that is built to win now,the players we can possibly get are more important All I know is it's 10 years and counting and time may be running out....

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Does that guarantee we pick him and he's out of the league before he even starts

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly. It's never gonna happen. A fun discussion. You put the cherry on top with the unloading of Dupree at the same time. I agree Allen over Bosa,better fit. We don't need QW though we have Hargrave :rolleyes:. I wouldn't trade him for maybe the next Aaron Donald. :smiley1:

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I am thinking Sensabaugh is on speed dial if the draft doesn't fall our way for a CB.

Kind of disappointed in Walton, I thought he had promise early on. Man I wanted BJ Hill out of NC State last year SOO bad. He did awesome for the Giants last year. I still want to take a mid round pick on Daylon Mack. I said last year McCullers super bowl would be making the 53 when a lot of people were singing his praise in training camp last year and that he would crash as the season wore on. They just have to get some reliable depth. Alualu is adequate, Hooks showed flashes but not much consistency. If Heyward or Tuitt go down, the depth is weak imo.