1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is in play

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, I don’t see an early double dip at CB replacing both Burns and Sutton in one shot. Sutton has shown signs of becoming a capable player. I do see a late round guy though. think the 1st corner replaces Burns, and the late rounder battles with Allen for a spot as the 5th corner/special teamer. I feel pretty sure that Burns is done here after lasting 1 play vs. NE when given an opportunity to redeem himself.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Let's not forget all 4 are very good in run support as well as our two safeties that led the team in tackles last year.

Davis, edmunds, haden, nelson, murphy, love, barron, tj, hargraves, heyward, winovich, go ahead and throw on us, I dare you.:smiley1::cool:

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You could be right about Burns but I feel he will be given every opportunity to redeem himself after last year. They have a long leash for first round picks Dupree). Don't forget they also signed two guys from the AFL and have Waters as well. There are a lot of bodies on the CB depth chart. No true FS if Davis goes down. Only hopes and dreams ....

Remember Allen was only active for 6 games and that's after being cut. He was used for STs for 6 games so I don't think he's really in a position to battle anyone. I'm pretty sure we dress 5 CBs each game. So let's look at them from last year Haden,Burns Sensabaugh,Hilton and Sutton. This year projects as Haden,Nelson Hilton,Sutton and Burns. Unless we draft a CB in the first two rounds. I don't see a late round guy having any chance of cracking the roster. Especially with our history of late round CBs. A early selection leaves Burns getting cut and Allen again on the outside looking in. Not to mention Waters and all the other guys on the depth chart. IMO a CB late is a wasted pick.

In my ideal scenario I'm trading as many or all of our 6ths and 7th to get all my picks in the first 5 rounds,if possible. We don't need 10 players especially with 4 of them being PS type players. If I could turn my 10 picks into 6 I would use them all to address....TE,RB,ILB,DL,FS,OLB and WR/ offensive weapon. If a CB isn't taken in the first two rounds,I wouldn't take one. I know I listed 8 positions but that is just the areas I would target with the BPA when our pick comes around. We can't fill all our needs in one draft but we need more quality than quantity. JMO.

4. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep, I forgot about Hilton for some reason. I think a high pick at corner to be the backup outside corner, and a high pick to be Davis’ heir at free safety are important. I also think a second quality safety to be a big nickel isn’t a bad thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't forget we have Marcus Allen and Dangerfield who can probably play some dime back. I recall them using Dangerfield as a extra safety against the running teams. My ideal 3 safety situation would be a true ball hawk FS with SD at SS and Edmunds as the dime backer. Edmunds is clearly not a FS and has a ways to go before we can say he's a great fit at SS. IMO Edmunds is a perfect candidate for dime backer. He weighs about 215-220 now and is lean as can be. He has room to grow and I feel his speed and athleticism would be best utilized around the LOS and not down the field. I think as soon as he has to turn and run he's in trouble. I like him with the play in front of him and he was at his best a few times last year doing just that.

I'll go to my grave feeling that Brian Allen should of been a FS convert from day 1. Now it's probably too late based on his contract situation and the numbers game. Right now he looks like yet another failed development at the CB position and a good chance he doesn't even make the team. Now that we can clearly use a FS it's even worse.....sigh.

6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    We may have to disagree on the quality and depth of our roster at safety. I wasn’t a fan of the Allen pick. I watched a handful of his Penn State games, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a safety play fewer snaps in downfield coverage in all the years I’ve been watching film on prospects. He had less good film in coverage than a lot of LBs I’ve watched. I will believe he can play in the NFL when I see it. Dangerfield isn’t a bad player, but he’s a guy I’d want to upgrade from.

Davis is in his contract year, and really should be allowed to walk after this season. He seems challenged for instincts IMO. We need a FS badly. I think Edmunds has shown potential to be the SS in our base defense, and big nickel when we go with 3 safeties. Heck, put 10-15 lean lbs on him, and he be a quality LB. I’d like another safety partly due to what I see as a need, and partly because there are a few good ones in this draft.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Guess it would depend on what defensive player is still there but I wouldn't mind it. I'm open to several positions in the first. I know you aren't a fan of Metcalf but I'd be very happy with him or Butler. Sadly they haven't met with Butler, not that I am aware of anyway.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is funny SElvis brings it up, But could Clellin Ferrel now be in play for the Steelers. I believe
    he was the best defensive player on the the field for a great Clemson defense. If he shows signs
    he can drop back a little in coverage he could fall right in our laps.

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh trust me I'm not thrilled with our safeties either. I feel SD at FS can definitely be upgraded. Allen and Dangerfield while not starters at SS may be able to provide some quality snaps at dime. They have the size as well and both are hitters. We agree on Edmunds and I think that should be his path as a player SS/NLB. I know Allen and Dangerfield aren't great but at least there are bodies there. FS? Not so much...Is seems kinda crazy that we seemingly drafted a boat load of safeties last year and signed two more as FAs and we have to double dip again.....smh.

I would definitely want a FS drafted and if another box safety fell in our lap then ok. Most of my reluctance to take two is simply based on my hopes that we can somehow turn our 10 picks into 6 and with those picks address some of our other needs and not having to use 2 of those picks on safeties. Also interested to see what their plans are for Tocho and Kelly. I know they showed interest in Kelly leading up to the draft he was in. It's simply amazing that all the DBs drafted under Tomlin and there's a long list. The best player to probably come from all those picks is William Gay. I also believe he's the only one to get a second contract and that was after his stint in AZ. That is down right horrific......

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think drafting a WR prospect in the 1st round is a bit of a trap, as has been shown with recent history. Let's skip 2018 because it's a bit too recent. 2017: Corey Davis (5th overall), Mike Williams (7th), John Ross (9th); 2016: Corey Coleman (15th), Will Fuller (21st), Josh Doctson (22nd), Laquan Treadwell (23rd); 2015: Amari Cooper (4th), Kevin White (7th), DaVante Parker (14th), Nelson Agholor (20th), Breshad Perriman (26th), Philip Dorsett (29th). You have to go back to 2014 to find a 1st round WR class with a number of guys who ended up being worth the pick (Evans and OBJ yes, Watkins and Cooks... maybe. Benjamin no.

How many top NFL WRs do you see up there from 2015 - 2017? How many of the guys who didn't pan out were drafted because of physical traits? At least these guys were drafted more due to one or more outstanding physical traits vs. real college tape: Ross, Coleman, Treadwell, White, Parker, Perriman, Benjamin.

Metcalf and Butler are guys who wow with physical traits, but have well-noted flaws in their games that can be very limiting in the NFL. Butler especially has a documented history of drops (Limas Sweed anyone?).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Treadwell was a beast at Ole Miss until he tore up his ankle in that horrific injury, but I agree with the rest of your point, including Treadwell was picked too high after the injury. He was not the same player.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw that report about first round misses on WRs, definitely eye popping but I'm still not going to freak if they take one. There are several directions they could go that I'd be happy with. They are going to have a hard time disappointing me in the first unless they take a guy I have never even heard of.

13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    The only 1st round WR that I would be all in on confidently is AJ Brown. And even then he may be more of a slot guy, although I think he can dominate from there.

The others all have legitimate concerns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    A lot depends on who is throwing to those top receivers too. You have to fit the qb to the wr and the wr to the qb. Most are not one size fits all.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  15. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Am I crazy?? If they fell to us I would choose Hakeem Butler over DK Metcalf...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Marquise Brown is nice but I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole...

Reminds me of Dri Archer ...little flea
    Related to Antonio Brown ...don't need anymore cancers
    Mecole Hardman is just as fast as Marquise but bigger / want to play in Pittsburgh

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I take it back, that would disappoint me. Would rather wait and take Lodge.

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t get the Archer comparison at all. Archer was a pure RB in college that we tried to turn into something he was not. Marquis Brown reminds me of Desean Jackson. I think he’s the only WR in this draft worthy of a 1st round pick. Obviously not for us with the relation to Mr Big Chest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The WR is a position the Steelers CAN Evaluate. Please Steelers nothing early.
    far too many needs before WR.

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hardman is my man crush. I would wait to take a WR in the 3rd. I would use our first 3rd on Hardman and a possible double dip depending on how things fall on Jennings or Sills in the 5th. There are tons of big body guys that can run in this draft. I like Hurd as well. It's gonna be very difficult for 2 WRs to make the roster so if we double dip that second guy will probably need to be someone we can stash on the PS.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    IMO you'd be crazy if you took any of these WRs in the first round. SteelElvis posted about a history or trend of the recent 1st round WRs falling flat. Now some might pick and choose how much stock they put in "trends" but this one seems pretty obvious to steer clear from.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Agree, I am not getting the love for Metcalf. Size speed yes, but we've seen these guys fail more often than not. I don't see the other aspects that make him a lock for success.

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just saw where NFL network will have cameras in the Steelers War Room this year. Hopefully we get a shot of the big board they use.

You know some guys will analyze every shot like the Zapruder film

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I've also been all in on Hardman. He hasn't even begun to discover his power.

• Like Like x 1
  25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I haven't scouted OLBs really at all this year since I don't think they go that direction so I watched some Ferrell today. Only two games, but he really sets a nice edge in the run game and is pretty physical. Good motor too.
    6'4" and 260 where TJ Watt is 6'4" and 250 so pretty similar in size. Ferrell seems pretty stiff and that seems to be the consensus weakness. But he used his hands pretty good I thought.
    I think there are bigger needs but I wouldn't be upset with the pick.