1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Typical work week during the season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Apr 18, 2019.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have been thinking about this for awhile now since more behind the scenes information has come out in recent years.

Monday: Maintenance day, guys come in get treatment for various aches and pains. Guys with more serious injuries are evaluated and the staff discusses options for the week. Some players meet with position coaches and break down tape of their respective performances.

Tuesday: Off day as mandated by the league, no organized team activities. Coach breaking down tape, players working out but at their own volition.

Wednesday: Ben's day, Ben is excused from practice but isosteoporosis time in the facility. They work on drills, watch tape and work the stuff they have been working on all season. No targeted game plan- Wasted day

Thursday: First full practice, running drills practicing routes, and looking at improving skills, again no targeted game plan. Break down some tape in meetings. Again wasted day.

Friday: everyone practices if they want to play, first real opportunity to address week's opponent. Tomlin meets with small groups highlights what the team they are playing likes to do.

Saturday: Walkthrough full game plan, practice drills first real targeted game plan as it is.

Sunday: Game Day.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    (sarcasm on) Never had a losing record....so what's the problem? Aren't we always prepared for no matter who we face every week? Isn't Ben and the offense always sharp? and the D ready to go out the gate? It's not like our slow starts and playing down to inferior teams always comes back to bite us. (sarcasm off)

• Like Like x 1
  3. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    This is the reason why they start out sloe, why they appear to play down to inferior talent, why Brown showing up late to meetings doesn't hurt. It covers everything and sheds light on comments about not starting the week strong. Tomlin is more concerned about perfecting what they are doing than looking at ways to translate that into success against the opponent for the week.

4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I have no idea what "isosteoporosis" time in the facility means.

I do kind of agree that they need to have a game plan in place earlier in the week so that every practice is about the team they're playing next. It goes with what we've been seeing with this team all along. They come into the game with limited options at targeting the opposing teams weaknesses and seem to be too generic at times. Even when everyone at home is screaming about obvious areas they should be going after.

5. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It means they are trying to make sure his arthritic pain is uniform.

Or maybe it means he comes to the facility to drink milk straight from the carton because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Either way, it's certainly nothing specific to the upcoming game :)

6. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Good catch my nemesis the dreaded Damian Autocorrect has thwarted me again. Probably something to be said for trying to start a thread in the 10 free minutes I have at lunch on my phone. Lol
    I think I was going for he is excused from practice but is still in the facilities.

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It would probably help if Mike Tomlin didn't have his Steelers blanket covering him and his alarm clock set to wake up to..........

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe they should make you the HC, since you have all the answers :lolol:.

9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Don't have any answers just trying to make sense of how they go about practice without concerning themselves wit what other teams do.

10. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

In all the seasons he has been head coach of the Steelers I have seen 2 times Mike Tomlin has game planned for an opponent. Both were big wins back to back against undefeated teams. His mentality of the Standard is the Standard has been a big blemish on his his otherwise worthy of noting very good regular season record. If he game planned per opponent he'd have 12+ wins every season without a shadow of a doubt given the talent surrounding him.

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Right I understand an off day, but maybe the off-day is a game planning film day for everyone not getting treatment. That way all the practices are against the gameplan for the opponent and the walk-through isn't such a crucial day.

Gives time for input by everyone as well.

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So, how does this compare with most of the other teams? Its one thing if we are the only ones that seem to do nothing and another thing if everyone else has a similar routine. Tomlin never struck me as being overly intelligent or a tactician that shows on the field before or during a game.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think this has to change, Now I know Thorn's generic work week probably differs.
    I think players need to work harder at their game more often during the week.
    And yes more time has to be spent in film study on their opponent than what is happening.
    The Steelers must become a prepared determined team.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Are you in the Steelers offices to know how and when they gameplan :facepalm:?

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm sure the majority of the team watches film throughout the week and its directly related to the next opponent. I remember Mike Mitchell heading up a group of DBs to watch film on the WR tendencies. A lot of that knowledge goes hand in hand with the game plan. So while it may not be actual game planning they can get a heads up on the opponent. ie - Game plan calls for a lot of zone defense, well we see that the WRs usually do this vs other team's zone coverage.

16. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    "Playing down to inferior talent" gets overblown.

Last year, all of the Patriots losses were to non-playoff teams. Two of them were to teams that were last in their divisions.
    If it happens to the Super Bowl winner, it happens to every team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

It's obvious they don't game plan for opponents. Maybe you just can't see that.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    " We do what we do" isn't just another one of Tomlins cool clichés. Its their mindset. When he was first hired he was quoted as saying he isn't much about scheme and that his style is to win the war of attrition. Now some of you guys might think he has changed and progressed but judging by all the lackluster and lethargic performances this team is known for,I don't think much has changed. He will never be accused of being a X and O guy. He relies heavily on his coordinators for that. If you follow the reports, he has only recently started to dabble in the defensive scheme. How well it has impacted the D ,I'll let you guys decide.

NE gets lauded for their ability to install a new gameplan just about each and every week. I don't know for sure if they are the outlier or many other teams do the same. What you will never hear is that we do something similar. Now like I said...is our approach the norm. I don't know. I do know that all teams should be at least trying to emulate what seems to work. Say what you want about NE but they leave no stone unturned in their preparation. More teams should have that focus. I don't think we do.

Something that bothers me about the prognosticators about the upcoming season is almost everyone saying....oh look out now....this team will be motivated and focused. My question is why aren't they always motivated and focused to win. Don't forget the " sleepwalking " comment by our All Pro RG. You can't blame AB and Bell for everything. You can't go around trumpeting the leadership of certain guys and then claim 2 guys ruined a whole locker room. One that wasn't even in it. They can't be great leaders if one guy turned the whole locker room upside down. I do understand you can lose focus on occasion but at the same time I feel there are glaring weaknesses in their preparations.....gameplanning on a team by team basis ,is one of them. I'm not interested in whether we fall in line with most of the other teams. We should be doing everything we can week to week to help our odds of being successful.

There is a reason this team has underachieved based on its talent. It's in the preparation and everything that falls under that umbrella. Again say what you want about NE. The fact is they maximize their talent and we do not. Proper planning prevents poor performance.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Nah they just play golf during the week :facepalm:, so when they shut down New England last year they didn't game plan for them. Get out of here with that nonsense :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    TJ Watt said in an interview that they are lackadaisical in their approach to game planning. He said they don't even worry about the opponent until Friday, that alone speaks volumes as to why the team is so up and down.

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    During the season I will not do much of anything with the exception of long periods of rest, relaxation and hibernation. This is the main reason I enjoy football. I have time to watch and enjoy it. In the summer I tend to camp a great deal, walk and hike and bike alot. NO time for football..

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

We need a " mostly agree" option. I dont think about how Bell and Brown have made this team not beat teams we should beat. Really in my estimation they are not at all responsible. Coaching and putting the players in the best position to win comes from training and preparation and execution.

As for NE being lauded I would say that NE could do anything and they would be lauded. Sportscasters are no different then casual fans. They love to jump on the band wagon and ride the wave while their hot. This is never going to change.

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I understand what you're saying about NE but it's a fact that it's a part of their preparation. So while they may get talked about excessively to most,this is something that deserves praise and has a direct impact on their performance year in and year out. It's just a fact in all sports that the successful teams are going to be discussed adnauseam. When it's one of our teams.....it sure is great....unless it's the negativity surrounding it ;)

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I was looking for his quote but I couldn't find it. I knew it was something along those lines. It's not the first time or the first person to comment on their preparations. There have been comments about practice as well.

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    or when Keith Butler mentions an opposing player in the presser and that player is out with an injury...

• Agree Agree x 1