1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is in play

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is so hard to predict how many teams will deal for qb's it is hard to get a bead
    on what teams are thinking. I couldn't or wouldn't want to put too much money
    on who will be available when the Steelers draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Same. Way too much effort issues for me. Still would be intriguing as a 3-4 end but I would not experiment with that even then. I will say this; your draft prediction of Darnell Savage Jr. being the guy could be it.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Top 100 player at best based on tape. Round 5-7 for me. Talk about a fall from proverbial grace.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think it’s too high for Savage, but the fact that they only had him in for a visit among the top safeties is interesting. I hope I’m incorrect.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think the Steelers should steer clear of him, he will probably go in the second or third round.

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers haven't shown any interest in Nasir Adderley, Juan Thornhill, or Chauncey Gardner-Johnson :shrug:.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It will be interesting to see what the Steelers do for free safety if Savage isn't on the board, they haven't shown much interest in the other free safeties :facepalm:.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Is he any good?

9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I read earlier posts stating that we met with CGJ at the combine, and that DB coach Bradley was at the Delaware pro day, so at least there’s that (if true).

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope so too.

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I will throw a name out there that I love as a later round guy and that is Andrew Wingard from Wyoming. This kid can play, I watched him at the Shrine game and he was non stop. No matter what side of the field he was there, not always in on the play but it showed hustle. I did look him up after that and he has good ball skills, good tackler and plays well in zone.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  14. Mcgee

Mcgee Active Member

Oct 2, 2016
    I hope a bunch of teams reach for QB's ahead of us. Arizona, Oakland, Denver, New York, Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, and maybe even the Patriots. I personally think there are only two QB's worth a first round pick but teams get desperate that don't have a decent QB and tend to reach or move up to get one. The more QB's picked ahead of us, the more good players are pushed down the board toward our pick.

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Hope not. I think it’s due diligence on guys who might be there in the 2nd (like when JuJu landed in our laps at the end of the 2nd).

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Smoke screen.....lol. I do not want a WR in round one.......NO NO NO!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    My thinking exactly.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Would it be bad to double up on two good corners?

1. Murphy
    2. Love

Maybe give our original 3rd to move up in the 2nd to do this. Replaces haden next year and Nelson to move to the slot next year.
    Hilton is only signed for one with his tender when he signs it. Haden is at 10 mil. and may want more next year. It would set us up well with the rule changes with two very good coverage corners. It would also leave us the second pick in the third round for a wr or safety. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. M Brown= never gonna happen. AJ would be the only other possible first besides taking a huge gamble on Metcalf. They brought in more RBs than anything else. Pretty sure it doesn't mean RB in round 1.

The guy that's gaining steam is Clelin Ferrell. A couple of the guys ove at SD are singing his praises and laying out all the ways he fits our draft MO. Power5, underclassmen etc.... He's also from Virginia :facepalm:. Tomlin loves him some VA. area guys. There is also a article about how Butler was also at the Clem. ProDay.
    You know,our new OLB coach :smiley1:.......If they do end up drafting a OLB in the 1st,the Dupree decision will look even more foolish.

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Maybe, but Nelson had his best season last year when KC moved him outside. I would double dip with game ready corner early and a more developmental guy later. I’d rather take both a corner and safety high than 2 corners high.

21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Interesting. I haven’t been looking at Ferrell as a 3-4 OLB prospect at all. He seems to me to be a pure DE. He’d be a Day 1 improvement as a pass rusher, and probably as a run defender as well, however if my memory is correct Dupree dropped into coverage almost 200 times last year.

The decision to allow Dupree’s salary to become guaranteed still rankles me as well, however if we get a new edge guy next week, and are able to unload Dupree for a day 3 pick, that would work. I doubt that’s the intent though.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it wouldn't have to be nelson. The best part is all 3, nelson, love and Murphy can play inside of out. My trouble with safety early is we already have a first and second rounder starting. At corner we also have developmental in sutton and allen. Haden aging and the big contract are concerns after this year. Hilton is here but not signing his tender makes me think next year he will be looking elsewhere or harder to sign. Having 3 guys in place to start helps both of these situations. Money could be used for a Davis signing of he is the guy they want. I don't have a problem with our safeties being Davis and edmunds. :cool:

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not sure how I would feel about another OLB in the 1st. Unless he was as close to a can't miss prospect as you can get. I haven't seen nearly enough to form a legitimate opinion on Ferrell. I will say though that I am far less concerned about his ability to drop into coverage. I don't see all the other teams running a 3-4 ( which we are rarely in base anyway) overly concerned about how well their OLBs can cover. Maybe if we actually had a legitimate threat as a pass rusher from the ROLB spot we could rely less on smoke and mirrors,like sending CBs and Ss to generate sacks. Like I said I don't know enough but if they feel he is the guy and he can give us more of what we have at the LOLB spot,I'll take it. He does have fantastic production at the highest level of CFB and has played in a ton of big games. They also say his character is outstanding and that's the direction we have been going with our recent picks. I will remind you again of the VA connection ;)

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree with this as well. Two top picks at CB would force 2 current players off the roster. The two would have to most likely be Sutton and Burns. I'm not saying it would be the worst thing. It's just I don't see them giving up on either of those guys. For all this talk about double dipping here and there,the current roster has to be taken into account. There are only so many spots available and the higher you double dip at a position that isn't necessarily a need,the better chance you aren't going to be able to protect that player from being poached at some point.

TE,ILB,FS,RB and DL could all use a body pretty easily. The rest of the positions you would be looking for upgrades and would have to consider the likelihood of a veteran being cut. Which I don't see as likely. I feel a double dip at any position should only be a definite upgrade/starter or a developmental guy you are confident can be safely put on the PS. ( where we already have a couple regulars already). It's actually a pretty tight roster unless you believe they are gonna seriously overhaul it.
    For a organization and HC that are try to win,especially now. I don't see it.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think burns will be replaced. There is one spot. Sutton and allen would be the two in the battle. It wouldn't surprise me if one of those two wouldn't finally make the transition to fs as has been talked about for a couple of years.:cool: