1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

jasper's second mock

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by jasper04, Apr 12, 2019.

1. jasper04

jasper04 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Hi all, had some free time to try another run at a mock. This time I pushed it out to 6 rounds. I don't know if the first two picks will really be there, But they could. I know that this one is LB heavy, but the talent at the time was just too good to pass up, and it will rebuild the LB's. Only regret was missing out on PSU's RB Sanders by one pick, and no DL. A mock like this just goes to show what a potential mock COULD look like without trading up. For the longest time I've wanted to trade up in the first(not far), or quite a bit in the second. Not so sure anymore. This is just too deep of a draft. Let me know your thoughts.

Allen.

upload_2019-4-12_20-52-27.jpeg

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I see the telltale Fanspeak text arrangement. I like Fanspeak a lot, and subscribe to their premium service to do mocks over breakfast daily. Results are very dependent upon which big board you choose. What I run into is that it can get very predictable in the late rounds because many of the big boards they let you select from only go 100, maybe 150 players deep. After that it's going to default to Fanspeak's big board, and their big board has a lot of players ranked very low who are 100-200 spots higher on some of the more mainstream big boards like CBS, Walter Football, etc.

I've had some really nice looking drafts on that site, and some challenging ones when I pick a better big board. If our draft went the way yours did, it would be good except for drafting 3 LBs. However, I'd bet that Hooker, Isabella, Cashman and Oliver all go at least 30 picks higher than this mock. Also, as a Fanspeak oddity, for some reason I find that Sweat is almost always available to me at pick #20 even if he's listed in the Top 10 on the big board that I'm using.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Nice job Jasper however i agree with SE I think many will go higher especially the 2nd rounder Ya-sin. I think he is a top 5 pick in the 2nd round. I think Isabella has opened eyes and climbed into the top 3 rounds and I think Kirven is gaining steam into the top 4 rounds. I would take your draft all day long twice on sunday......:thumbs_up:

4. jasper04

Apr 26, 2012
    Thanks Guys I agree with your views of Fanspeak. It is still one of the best ones out there. My point was more about the absolute need to trade up desired by a lot of fans. I admit I also wanted to absolutely trade up in the 1st in the beginning. I now maybe see us trading up in the 2nd. More likely not at all. Here are my thoughts as of today.

Everyone believes that we won't draft 10 players. I contend now that we may need to. lets look at it. I believe we can all agree that we need at least 1 player at following positions for various reasons.

ILB maybe more than one
    OLB
    S maybe more than one
    CB maybe more than one
    RB
    TE
    WR maybe more than one
    DL

I do believe in quality over quantity, BUT this is such a strong draft and deep draft at some positions that it falls directly into our traditional draft plans. I do believe we will come out of this draft with some fantastic players without the need to trade up.

If we take one of each position I've noted that's 8 picks with the option to trade up once a short distance.
    Here's the rub, after the draft are you OK with the ILB's, the S's. the CB's, given the current talent, contracts and depth??

This is why I've been running the sim's. to show the players that are out there. Our draft will NOT be a failure if we don't get a Devin. Is either one that much better than a possible D.D. pick of Mack, Pratt, Long, Cashman and others. And this is just one position. Take a look at safety. I personally want Adderly/Thornhill AND Savage.

Yes all players have issues, but this is a monster draft from picks 20-65 maybe deeper.
    We've had too many misses lately and need to make up ground.

What are your thoughts??

Allen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with not trading up in the first, but being aggressive in the 2nd. I can think of a lot of scenarios where we end up better off moving up in the 2nd vs moving up in the 1st at a much higher cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jasper04

Apr 26, 2012
    I totally agree. Who would be your targets?
    mine would be:

Mack
    Savage
    Adderly
    CB/WR that they love

Depending who we draft in the 1st
    This is what makes it fun and hard

Allen

7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Like you said, it depends on who we take in the 1st. If we go any position but corner in the 1st, I probably make a move in the early 2nd to secure a strong CB prospect. I see a handful of good CBs going between 33 - 50. If we go with a corner in the 1st, I strongly consider trading up for Winovich in the 2nd. I probably don’t trade up for a S because I see a number of good ones in the 2nd round range who have versatility, but it seems that the Steelers’ only high-ranking S target is Savage. They probably have to move up to ensure getting him. Unless Hock or Fant fall, there’s no offensive skill position player I’m taking before the 3rd. Based on what I’ve watched, I think the WR and RB classes have depth, but no clear standout guys relative to the pack.

8. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Love the Ben Burr-Kirven pick. He put up better three cone and short shuttle times than both the Devins. He ran slower than the Devins, but he isn't slow at 4.56 for the 40.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They don't need more than one of WR or CB IMO, all those guys won't play and can't help the team right now.

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I just ran this one on the Fanspeak simulator:

1. Byron Murphy
    2. Mack Wilson
    3a. Nasir Adderly
    3b. Andy Isabella
    4. Damien Harris
    5. Josh Oliver
    6a. Jordan Brailford
    6b. Armon Watts
    6c. Isaiah Prince
    7. Alex Bars

I know that Adderly has been projected to go quite a bit higher than pick 65, but Amani Hooker was also available at that spot, and I’d like this draft just as much with him in place of Adderly. Also, last night on NFLN there was discussion of risers and fallers, and Adderly was discussed as a faller without any real reason other than small school competition. I doubt that Isabella is available at pick 3b, but there were a couple of other quality guys there (I think McLaurin and Hardman) who could be of interest.

I’m not a fan of Mack Wilson as a 1st round prospect, but if he’s there in the 2nd I’d be very good with that pick.

• Like Like x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's a sick draft. Give me Hardman over Isabella though especially because of his STs. He replaces Switzer and Rogers next year and possibly makes room for another size speed threat down the road. Like you said Adderly will not be there but Hooker is a great consolation prize.

12. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Just ran a mock. These are my results:

20: R1P20
    TE TJ HOCKENSON
    IOWA

52: R2P20
    JOHNATHAN ABRAM
    MISSISSIPPI STATE

66: R3P2
    LB GERMAINE PRATT