1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Draft Strategy Prediction

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually Elvis said it but I agree :smiley1:

They could elect to trade back as well and take Chase. There aren't a whole lot of names on their list that scream first rd talent.

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I must have missed it I remember his brother being talked about but I do not remember our Edmunds being talked about in the first round. My apologises t SE and Mac.........

Yeah I think maybe they are keeping who they want close to the vest since several years the guy they have wanted went a pick or two in front of them. Or maybe I am giving the front office too much credit....lol

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Actually my preference would be to take Murphy at #20, and trade up in the 2nd for Winovich. However, I do see enough there that I wouldn’t be troubled if we take him at #20. I think he’s going to be a very solid player.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You can go back and read some of them. It's pretty easy to do. I for one had talked about him being our first round pick, it didn't throw us ALL for a loop.

Is dupree tradeable? Who exactly would want him? That will be a tough sell. :cool:

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they pick Chase at #20, I'm going to need a new tv :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Then they would be waiting until the third round or later to get a ILB, not good IMO.

7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Unfortunately we have more significant needs than we have 1st and 2nd round picks. I think the talent drops off very sharply at edge. More sharply than LB.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks Mac I do realize how easy it is just isn't worth my time..........

Like I said before if you throw enough names out there you are eventually gonna be right. So while you and SE talked about him you are the few in Steeler Nation cause just about all the post I read were all one's with people scratching their heads.

Not sure who would want him but the Lions were linked awhile back even think there was a thread here about it......maybe a simple search you will find it cause it is pretty easy to do :smiley1: Also I wasn't the one who suggested it I responded to the possibility of the trade.

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree some are high on this guy but for me not in the first, trade up in the 2nd that's fine but not in the first.

I am not in favor of this pick I am using the info on how we draft and who we have dinner with as to who may be our pick. Maybe it is the second round IDK but we only had dinner with one guy.......

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not so sure the 3rd round ILB's are that far off from Bush....if off at all. Everyone has the rankings different but Coney, Johnson, Kirven, Hanks, Long and Smith are all pretty good imo.

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    This is why I feel we should trade for another 2nd round pick instead of trying to use our picks to move up in the first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Unless it’s for Devin Bush ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

Sorry I'm putting these names out there but they are the guys We have shown interest in. It's not about me being right ny, as you seem to think these discussions are geared towards. It's about who this team fixes itself with. It's no secret we have holes to fill and holes that will open up possibly in the next year. Not only that but who will make who we already have here better.

just listing player from the top of the list of the Mel kipers of the interweb is not a good stratagy. Digging into players strengths and the systems they played in come into play. Sometime people see us talking to one player and think he's the target when we really may be getting into on a player he played with. Say running with a qb but finding out about one of his receivers as our target player. So yeah maybe a lot of names are thrown out there, but this is not an exact science either. Players fall every year. Some players to earlier than most people think. That doesn't mean the team picking feels that way. It's also been a lot of the same names that keep coming up if you haven't noticed. Not just Murphy and can't either. It's not that I don't like Murphy but I read to many things about his long speed and if beat, he gets grabby. Most think with his quickness he is a canidate to move to the slot in the pros. We don't really need that, we need a guy to oh on the outside. That's why he's not at the top of my list. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Chase Winovich would buck the age trend for certain. 24 years old is something the Tomlin/Colbert Era has never seen in Round One. Keep in mind when I say "age trend", I mean what the player will be when the beginning of the 2019 Regular season commences.

That being said, I would not be surprised if the likes of Darnell Savage Jr. turns out to be the player. That being said, he also would buck a trend that, as far as I know, has NEVER happened in the Modern NFL History for the Steelers; selecting a Seinor Defensive Back in Round One.

Clelin Ferrell is someone who, oddly enough, I can see Pittsburgh trading up for. Considering the fact that Pittsburgh only dropped linebackers less than 33% of the time, Clelin would fit. Add his leadership, Tomlin/Colbert/Butler being at his Pro Day and "Hearts 'n' Smarts" traits, Ferrell could be that impact playmaker Colbert and Tomlin are looking for.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Steelers Depot they keep saying they think Ferrell would be the pick #20, I would rather take a CB.

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Don't forget that Jarvis Jones was 23.5 years old when we drafted him.

That should be reason enough never to do it again.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh... that is right. Forgot about him. Should Chase be the guy, he is with Jarvis; not good company.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Dave Bryan's logic makes sense. Much of what the Steelers look for, Clelin already has in spades. The issue is with athletic ability. Keep in mind though, he injured his toe at the time. That being said, his latent abilities as a pass rusher alone will have him slotted into the top 20; "Day One Impact Player" status.

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Jets seem pretty eager to trade out of the 3rd pick. They have no 2nd. What would it take to get to 3?
    Our 1st our 2nd ,late 3rd or 4th? Who would be your target at 3 ? Allen,Williams...

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

It is all about finding the right trading partner.

That being said, I wonder what New York would ask Pittsburgh for outside of a first. Yes, the Jimmy Johnson Value Chart and Harvard Value Chart really do not have any merit for most teams. However, some of the values could be lower than others are willing to believe.

Not saying New York is going to deal away the Number 3 pick for free. I am curious though as to how eager they are to get out of that spot.

• Like Like x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Jarvis wasn't athletic either, they got fooled by his production in college :facepalm:.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers have too many needs to trade up that high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Can he play OLB though?

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Who would they trade that high for? The pick has to be worth the move. Allen? White isn't worth that much. bosa doesn't fit here well. We don't need a qb. A D-Lineman isn't a big need. They would have to start.:cool: