1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cornerback Now In Play For Round One?! Which Do You Choose?!

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Apr 11, 2019.

1. DeAndre Baker: Has not surrendered a touchdown since 2017.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Andreaz "Greedy" Williams: Highest ceiling of any corner.

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Byron Murphy: Most instinctive with the nasty to match.

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  4. Julian Love: Most productive with the ability to take it all the way.

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello all! AQL here with a more simple thread today. Rather, more so a question to the community! 14 Days remain until "High Noon In Nashville" and the Steelers have made considerable moves in bringing in some of the best corners in the draft; DeAndre Baker and Byron Murphy being chief among them. Now, this could be more than due diligence given the fact that our corner depth is not looking too well at the moment. However, it could be something else.

Due to Devin Bush Jr. rising up on so many mocks, his impressive Pro Day no less, it is possible that Devin Bush Jr. just might be out of Pittsburgh's reach by the time April 25th arrives. To that end, here we have the contingency plan in another form of defensive playmaking; cornerbacks. Given the fact that both/either Tomlin and Colbert have attended the top rated corners Pro Days and/or have met at the combine, this tells me that their will be a greater emphasis on figuring out who among the best of the best will be worthy of a Top 20 selection. That being said, a question for all of the members on the site;

Among the corners listed in the voting section, which would you go for in Round One?! Please state your reasons why as this always does help me out! :)

Go Steelers!!! :herewego:

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm still on the Murphy train. I think he could be used on the outside and slot so he has some flexibility. I think he'd be a better slot imo so he can be insurance for Hilton next year and still be used in rotations/dime whatever.

I don't want Williams in the least. The unwillingness in the physical parts of the game detests me lol..

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Murphy all the way.

I think Greedy is the biggest boom/bust guy but I think there's a higher percentage that he busts. We may have given him a good luck but with all that went down last year I cannot see the Steelers taking him at #20.

Love is balanced. Jack of all trades but master of none. Low ceiling but high enough floor.

Baker is above Love. Not flashy or fast but just gets the job done. Doesn't give yo touchdowns.

I see very little bust potential in Murphy but I see an awfully high ceiling. So instinctual. A master of zone coverage.

• Like Like x 1
  4. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I would go with Greedy...... he has the length and speed to match up with any receiver in the league....
    Personally, I don't see him getting past 15

5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think the FO feels better about the CB position then most fans do. We have our 2 starters and slot. We really don't know what we have in Sutton yet. We are still hoping Burns turns it around...and we should all hope that is the case. I think CB may not be as high on the list as everyone thinks. I think S is above CB in need. We have no #3 IMO. If Davis gets hurt, we are screwed. There are no other FS types on the roster IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would agree with this but are there any FSs worthy of 1:20? Adderley would be the closest and I don't think they've shown the interest. Not a end all be all, but its usually an indicator. Plus its a non-power 5 conference (Delaware) which they normally don't pull from in rnd 1. All trends that can be broken I'll admit.

But you have an aging Haden and an unknown contract situation with Hilton next year. He refused his tender this year didn't he? Someone can help me here because I'm not sure if that's right. Hilton may want some big money next year. They may draft cb looking to the future as well.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They still need a CB, Burns could get cut in preseason, Sutton hasn't shown anything yet. Hilton will be on a year deal, why not get a young CB ready for 2020, Haden is only signed thru 2019.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Savage
    Layne
    1-2.

Brian Allen working on quickness, he has speed and size. Hilton and sutton for the slot. Savage also has some cb capabilities at safety. :cool:

9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I must have missed them 2 as options........:shrug:

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I would say anyone but Murphy..............lmao I think most here know better that that by now!!!!!

MURPHY MURPHY MURPHY :beg::beg::beg:

Greedy may be the most talented but there are a lot of reports about his off field stuff and I think we can't afford that right now. I have read that Baker is the most complete CB but he don't pop off the screen to ya. I have watched Murphy and just love the way he plays, add to the fact he will have time to ease in and learn he could be the next great CB imo.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like Murphy, I think the Steelers will like Baker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Mcgee

Mcgee Active Member

Oct 2, 2016
    We also need playmakers. I see a lot of Deion Sanders in this kid. Ball hawk. We don't get enough turnovers.

13. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Exactly........ no need to get cute here.... if he's available, take him

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    G Williams had 8 INTs in 2 years
    B Murphy had 7 INTs in 2 years
    D Baker had 7 INTs in 3 years

they are all pretty close

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Imo if both were available, the Steelers would pick Baker over Murphy. For right or wrong, They’ll use the fact that Baker hasn’t given up a TD in 2 years as reason to Justify him over Murphy. I like Murphy better, but I like Julian Love in the 2nd or top of the third the best.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Layne was worked out by our db coach. He met with MT at the combine and now for a visit. So I'd say he's very well in play.

savage at his pro day and a visit.

Mullen too. Pro day, Michigan's pro day again and now a visit. :cool:

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Supposedly he shies away from contact? Steelers cb's must also be able to play the run.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That's all fine but the OP did not put them as options in his question. :smiley1:

19. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Completely agree that there are no first round safeties. I just want the FO to leverage the draft the best way possible. There are lot of solid players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Guys who can really help you win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The difference between Baker and Murphy is significant. Baker played in a very man-heavy scheme, and he's at his best in press man coverage. He's not a good tackler, and does the bare minimum in supporting the run defense. His experience in zone is somewhat limited. Murphy is at his best with the play in front of him in zone or off-man. He is aggressive and reacts quickly to break on the ball, and he will likely cause more turnovers at the NFL level than Baker, but also may never be the 1 v 1 "shutdown corner" that Baker may become. Murphy is also much better than Baker at tackling the catch and supporting the run defense. It's a question of matching the player to what we plan to do for coverage going forward. If we want to run a man heavy scheme, Baker may be better suited to chasing another team's #1 receiver all over the field. If we're going to more zone heavy, or have a balance between man and zone, then I think Murphy is the guy. I like Murphy better because I like being multiple in coverages. I also like having quality tacklers and aggressive playmakers all over the defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    This is a very good breakdown and I agree 100%. I love the break on the ball Murphy has while playing off man. This is something we just don't have right now and I love it, now as much as I like Murphy I wouldn't be upset with Baker or Greedy. I like Murphy as the top guy then Baker then Greedy.

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello all! Quick update!

Thanks to the many of you for participating thus far! Odds on favorite is Byron Murphy but there is still time! Cast your votes soon if you have not already! Poll will close on April 19th, 7:00 P.M. EST.

Go Steelers! :herewego: