1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hakeem Butler at #20

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 26, 2019.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

Arcega Whiteside had 18 contested catches last year compared to Hakeem Butler's 17. Whiteside's was the most I believe.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    I love Butlers backstory. Seems like a standup guy and grounded. Having said that, I like N’Keal Harry more. He’s shorter but much more agile. We want a playmaker that can get YAC. 6’2-6’3 is plenty tall to win jump balls and make contested catches.

3. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Just so you know, Santonio Holmes was the last receiver they drafted in the 1st round, and he had a Super Bowl winning catch, so they will do it if he is the highest rated prospect on their board. The truth is, they probably won't because they're successful at picking WRs in the lower rounds and defensive help is so plentiful in this draft. GO STEELERS!

4. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    If Devin Bush is gone I'd take Hakeem Butler & if he's gone I'd take Miles Boykin at #20...

If we get Devin Bush at #20 & Hakeem Butler is likely gone at #52, go for Miles Boykin at #52

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I do know that all the way back in 2006 and Burress in 2000 and of course everyone's favorite pick Edwards in 1999.....:facepalm:. With the WR's we have and the QUALITY DEPTH in this draft no way should we go WR in the first.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Where is all this success we keep hearing about at wr? Ok AB was a 6th rounder but..... Marta is was a mixed bag, sweed, wheaton, wallace, washington isn't setting the world on fire. Juju yes but a lot of these guys were early draft picks. Washington, juju, wallace, sweed. Sanders but we didn't keep him, wheaton, bryant, we're not exactly players we could count on. We even lost Brown now. So who exactly are all these Midas touch wrs? :cool:

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh stop Mac. I known your feelings about KC but they’ve done well with WRs.

AB
    Bryant
    Wallace
    Sanders
    JuJu
    Wheaton (when he was healthy)

Jury is still out on Washington.

Sweed was the only miss on your list.

From a talent standpoint, all those other guys were hits. Bryant unfortunately had a substance abuse problem. Wallace and Sanders left via FA. Wheaton as I said had trouble staying healthy.

They scout WRs well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Anyone who is serious about WR @ #20 really should be looking at AJ Brown from Ole Miss. He has it all, size, speed, route running, and toughness.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    They were talking about success in the lower rounds. No wheaton was not a success. Bryant was not a success. He couldn't stay clean and digressed. Let's not forget sammy Coates in there too. A lot more missed than hits. If they were so good why didn't we keep them? Wallace was a one trick pony. The one they should have kept was sanders. It's not as rosie a picture as many think.:cool:

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    $$MONEY$$ it is what wakes the world go round. Wallace might have been a one trick pony but that was a pretty darn good trick. Good enough to sign a 5/60 mil contract, no way the Steelers were gonna match that. Yeah there may have been more misses that hits but look at the draft overall it is more miss than hit. We hit a whole lot more at WR than most if not all teams. Nobody hits 100% jmo

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    teams over pay all the time. Wallace is fast that's all. DHB was a first rd. pick too, that didn't make it a good pick or him a success. C'mon ny, we have had plenty of misses. People act like any and every wr pick we can and will make are hits at any time of rd.. That is not true. :cool:

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sure Mac :rolleyes:

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Agreed and that is why the Steelers let him go they have a value on a player and like you say teams will over pay......Wallace is a perfect example. As for misses I am not saying we haven't where did I say that? Nor am I saying we hit on every pick, what I am saying is the draft is a hard thing and we have been pretty good at it. Many here don't want to admit it but some me another team with as many players on their team from the draft as ours? Also show me another team that has had the success we have had at picking WR's? You can say what you want but we draft very good. AB, Juju, Burress, Holmes, Bryant, Wallace, Sanders, Coates all since 2010 and even Ayers and Wheaton all were contributors and I didn't even add JW into this.

Yeah we have misses like Clemons, Sweed, Edwards, but nobody hits 100%. 50% of draft picks is considered pretty good and we are way over that. jmo

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I feel pretty much the same way however I could live with a WR in round 2 a whole lot better than round 1. I agree round 3 and 4 will have some very good WR's 2 off the top of my head I love are Renfrow and Sills. I also feel WR, DL and RB are deep classes this year and we should look more at our other position of need. jmo

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    :facepalm::cool:

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers brought in Miles Boykin for a visit, they also went to his pro day, he could be a WR to target in round 3.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep. They've been very good at evaluating WR's. I don't know why thats a hard thing to admit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Is that why we have had to keep drafting them and bringing in free agents and are still looking to draft another? Yea cause all those great evaluations have worked out so well for us. Admit that. Admit every wr we draft is not a success. We really don't have a Midas touch in drafting them at every turn. It's not as good as most make it out to be of we would have them on the field. People act like we can just pick one in any round and they will be a success for us. Not. You cannot seriously believe that..:cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You're the only won implying that every WR they draft is a success. Is that because your argument is so weak you have to spread disinformation to support it?

Their track record speaks for itself. They are good at it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Agreed.....agreed with all of it. Like I have said before NOBODY HITS 100%!!!!!!!!! The Steelers are pretty good at drafting WR's and everyone but I guess one person knows it. I hear it talked about on tv and I hear it talked about on the radion, the Steeler know their Sh$t when draft WR's.........ty come again!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If I may add a third option that falls right in the middle of this debate. It's also possible that we have a knack for developing talent at WR. They do recognize the ability but it also helps that we run a WR friendly offense with a HOF QB. It may also boil down to how you view what is a successful WR or not. You can view the likes of Coates,Wheaton and Bryant as talented but for one reason or another they haven't been able to sustain success. You would have to go back and look at all the WRs they have drafted,say since Ben and see who can actually be deemed successful. IMO.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I get what your saying however isn't the NFL a passing league now so many teams are running a wr friendly offense right? I will say even if we develop talent don't that still count as hitting on a wr? Also it is hard to gauge the success of a wr especially when you already have/had a guy like AB here. Guys like Coates and Wheaton aren't #1's but they weren't drafted to be #1's right? All I am saying is the Steelers are pretty good at finding WR's....I never said perfect they have missed on plenty. :smiley1::shrug::facepalm: :lolol::lolol::lolol:

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think we can all agree the position they draft best is Center...

there discussion resolved :lolol:

• Winner Winner x 1