1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE Prospects

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Feb 25, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    New England will probably go after Hockenson, now that Gronk has retired, they have the picks to move up also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Good find. This guy can develop into a quality NFL starter if he gets into the right situation. He actually blocks in line, and is effective at it. He understands how to down block and seal the edge to allow a runner to run off tackle. It’s amazing how few college TEs show any interest in blocking at the line of scrimmage, but this newcomer does it pretty well for a guy whose technique still needed refining. He’s definitely a receiving threat. I’ve only watched this one game plays some highlights so far, but I like :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think this class is pretty thin and I feel like if TJ or Fant fall to 20 we should be all over them. The reason I say this is cause first off both are good talents, next the drop off at the TE position is bigger than the other positions we are looking at like CB and ILB. IMO I would rather have a guy like Fant and miss out on Bush in the first and come back in the 2nd and grab say a Pratt for example. I like Fant and Pratt way more than I like Bush and Sternberger/Moreau. However having the announcers say Roethlisberger to Sternberger would be fun to listen to :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I like the TE class this year for some reason. I know NB doesn't like it either, but I've been looking at this position more than other positions. Maybe that's why :lolol:

I like the top 3 in Hockenson, Fant and Smith and then there are some others that are more receivers and some just straight up blockers. I feel there's a good mix to add whatever flavor you are looking for.

I like Sternberger but he is comparable to McDonald, will the team go for two move TEs? Even though Vanimal is a good blocker too. Oh yea and Colbert was at Texas A&Ms pro day so he was there to see someone. I have Daylon Mack (DT) in my mock too lol:thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You are right I haven't watched very much of them this year I have stuck to reading more about them. Also been listening to the guys on tv and radio and they feel the same way so that is kinda why I feel like I do.

Mack was a monster at the Shrine game and I think he was also invited to the senior bowl. I love this DT class one of the deepest there has been.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt Pratt would be on the board at #52, he's probably the 3rd rated ILB, the Steelers can't afford to miss out on the top 3 ILBs.

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Time will tell.....

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree. I think Pratt is good but 6 has him overvalued. He will be there at 52 and probably beyond. He is green for NFL standards. If he is gone by then, that just means another good player falls. Panic picks we don't need.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Exactly if Pratt goes there that means someone has to fall. Either way it don't have to be Pratt I would be happy with Coney, Edwards or Smith. My point was that there is value at the ILB position in the 2nd but the drop off at the TE position is major. I also think Fant is a greater talent than Bush so picking Fant over Bush is not a need pick but a better player pick. Of course I am not a bush fan so just about any player is better, jmo. For the record:

B/R:
    57. Philadelphia Eagles—LB Germaine Pratt, NC State
    Draftsite:
    52 [​IMG] Pittsburgh Germaine Pratt
    CBS 3rd round:

PACKERS
    Germaine Pratt, LB, NC State

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think Pratt at 52 is a perfect slot imo. The ILB class this year sucks and is probably the worst position grouping there is. Pratt would be my first choice out of all of them followed by Blake Cashman and Cashman's not an immediate starter. Yes Pratt is a converted safety but he would be on the field from day one. All the other guys from Coney, Hanks and whatever ham n eggers are left will be STs duty for a year or two.

The only help we get this year at ILB is from Devin White, Devin Bush and Pratt imo. I think Cashman has the football IQ to help out but he would be backing up Barron and/or Bostic. White should go early and I'm lukewarm on Bush (he does have 32" arms which is long for a 5'11" guy - one trait I like). Some of the other options at ILB may be worthwhile but I just don't trust the coaching to maximize their talents. I know I'm being highly critical, but that's just how I see it.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Pratt didn't even start at nc st. Until last year. The trouble is everyone wants a shazier. There are a lot of good lbers in this draft, just not what most expect. :cool:

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I dont see any reason to draft a TE in the first round, there are other TEs who will be around in the later rounds that has upside to them, like Oliver and sternberger who can drafted in the 3rd-5th round range:

1. [​IMG] Josh Oliver, TE, San Jose State
      Height: 6-4. Weight: 249. Arm: 33.38. Hand: 10.63.
      40 Time: 4.63. Three Cone: 7.21.
      Bench: 22. Vertical: 34. Broad: 9-9.
      Projected Round (2019): 3-4.
      3/7/19: The NFL is always on the look out for pass-receiving tight ends, as they present a lot of mismatch problems for a defense. Oliver showed that potential as a senior, recording 56 reception for 709 yards and four touchdowns. That strong performance landed him an invitation to the Senior Bowl, and he showed an ability to contribute as a receiver in Mobile. Oliver had a solid combine performance.

Jace Sternberger*, TE, Texas A&M
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 251. Arm: 32.13. Hand: 9.75.
    40 Time: 4.75. Three Cone: 7.19.
    Bench: 17. Vertical: 31.5. Broad: 9-5.
    Projected Round (2019): 3-5.
    3/7/19: Sternberger was a surprise early-entry for the 2019 NFL Draft, but he had a big 2018 season for the Aggies that would have been tough to duplicate if he had returned for his senior year. In 2018, he totaled 48 receptions for 832 yards and 10 touchdowns. Sternberger did not play in 2017 after transferring to Texas A&M from Kansas.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Better add Notre Dame TE Alize Mack to the thread. Steelers have him scheduled for a visit.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Alize Mack 6'4" 249, he looked smaller on tape so I thought I'd post. 4.7, 36 vert, 120 broad, 7.27 3 cone and 22 on the bench

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I saw KC was at Texas AM pro day too... that is usually a big sign they are interested when he shows up. He looks very impressive. I certainly would be happy if they picked him. Can he block though?

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    No, he kinda struggles there honestly. He blocks better on the run than when firing off the line. He has a slight build for TE. Depends on what Pittsburgh is looking for really. Do they want a combo guy - receiver and blocker or one who is very good at one aspect, either receiver or blocker.

I would think it'd be a combo guy since that's what James was, but who knows

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    @turtle Honestly they might bring in 2 TE's this offseason, one for receiving and one for blocking... Grimble's time in Pittsburgh has to be up if he doesn't take another step forward.

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm surprised they haven't brought more in for a visit. Only Alize Mack from Notre Dame. I see him as a better receiver than blocker right now.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I read where they met with Kahale Warring at the combine :thumbs_up: