1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 College Pro Day Schedule

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Mar 14, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't want Rapp after he ran that slow forty, there are plenty of faster safeties available.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I didn't say I did either

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If Rapp falls to the 4th he would be a steal, 40 time be damned. He shows up on the football field.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Big difference though in the PAC 12 and the NFL fields. We need speed on this defense. :cool:

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Sure looks like we are not only looking to add a corner but also a safety to take that Burnett spot. Looks like they want that safety with LB skills that can cover. We are even looking at corner converts. Boyd, long, willis, Layne to name a few. We also are looking at the fast LBers not named Devin in addition. Long, johnson, gilbert. It's tough to read exactly who, and may be a combination of this group. Sure seems like we are looking to seal up the middle of the field with speed and cover abilities in sub packages still. JMO

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Generally agree, but I don’t see Layne and Long as corner converts. They’re true corners based on film I’ve watched. Long (Michigan) is very underrated IMO.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    You are correct. Long is too small for that, I confused him with johnson. Maybe layne has the size as does Johnson and Boyd to play that Burnett spot I believe. So does savage. These guys remind me a little of Sean davis. Can play just about anywhere back there and support the run.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    everyone else's numbers are posted except Murphy so I'm assuming he just did field drills. Not many numbers for most of the players there except 40 times and verticals

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Pittsburgh was at Washington State's pro day today, but if they met with anyone it hasn't been reported.

come on James Williams

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Stanford's pro day tomorrow and JJ Arcega Whiteside would be a possible target.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Speed is a nice added bonus but we need football players first and foremost. Smart and agressive. Funny NEs defense basically shut down two of the most prolific offenses in the league without guys that are renowned for their speed.
    Yes it helps but you can run real fast the wrong way too. Until our coaching and scheme improves it won't matter if our defensive speed makes Usain Bolt jealous....

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    So Vince and matakevich should be all we need. Both good football players. Known to have a nose for the ball.

So our coaching and scheme that is not good will be better with slow players?

The rams lost because their an stunk.

The chiefs lost because they couldn't stop the run. Their offense did fine.:cool:

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I think you took my opinion a little too literally. I didn’t say players don’t need speed but they have to be instinctual and know how to play the game. That’s what I mean by football players.
    I could make a long list of the fastest players that never made it in the league. So yes speed obviously helps but it doesn’t guarantee success.

So NE D had nothing to do with completely shutting KC down in the first half and completely confusing and out scheming LA....c’mon.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    JJ Arcega-Whiteside ran a 4.47 at his pro day, he will probably go in the second round now. I'm surprised he ran that well, he was the best WR I watched last season in making contested catches.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I never said it guaranteed anything. Speed helps good players. The NFL is full of football players so his football skills with his slow speed can be beat by guys with skill and speed. Speed also limits scheme.

As for the NE defense, they are not full of slow players that just out scheme other teams. KC held that NE offense down too in the first half. Did NE defense lose their skills in the second half? LAs qb stunk in that game. It was the worst game in history for a qb in the SB. :cool:

16. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Excellent time for him. Could even be fringe round 1.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    He was my target in round 2 for my mock and want list. He didn't run the 40 at the combine. Hopefully he falls some to our spot.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :herewego:

Pro Days are over now everyone!! 25 schools total have been visited by the Steelers. Of those 25, eight of those schools have had Tomlin and/or Colbert at their Pro Day. Schools that are both bolded and italicized indicates both Tomlin and Colbert. Otherwise it indicates one or the other. They are as follows;

Alabama

Clemson

LSU

Michigan

Notre Dame

Texas A&M

Texas

West Virginia

Why are the aforementioned so important you may ask?! Dating back to 2017, players selected by the Steelers in not just the First Round but any round overall have had either or both attend. T.J. Watt, Chukwuma Okorafor, Terrell Edmunds, to name a few. Should said players not have both or either attend the Pro Day, their chances are not dimished so long as one of the Steelers scouts attend like JuJu but having their name called on Day One is extremely unlikely.

This is why players like Darius Leonard were not among the picks in 2018; a safety in the case of 2017 the same. It has not been about whether or not a player plays a certain way. It has been about, as of recently, whether or not both Tomlin and Colbert showcase the interest.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I read where the TE coach was at Iowa's pro day but hadn't seen it listed anywhere.

Also Tom Bradley was at Delaware's pro day for Adderley

• Like Like x 2
  20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012