1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Showing His Leadership. Gives up Radio Show

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good job Ben :applaud:

IMO, Ben has handled this offseason very well while the whole world has piled on him.

Shouldn't have come to it, like Arians said, people need thicker skin.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben has stayed quiet

3. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If you think it is leadership to drop the show then you should think it wasn't leadership to have it in the first place, something some people on here have said all along.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Spoken like a wise owl even if you seem to be a terrible one....:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Hopefully Mason is taking notes on the do's and do not's for himself. Given the fact the team believes he is the heir to Ben, it is best to learn from the mistakes of his predecessor. That being said, given Mason's upbringing and background, that should not be an issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Cam Heyward has a radio show. Guess he’s not a leader?

• Like Like x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I'd take 1/2 hr radio/TV show with any player on the team over any 140 character maximum tweet.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I find it funny how adamant some are about whether Ben is a leader or not. How would any of us know that without being on the team? I've watched football for 40 some years and most of the time it is hard to tell who is a "leader" even when they are out on the field. Hell, 11 guys out there and they are all pointing and directing each other. Opinions are being made by what is being reported by someone who has an agenda, whatever that agenda is. I also find it funny the assumptions that are being made about who decided it was a good idea for Ben to quit his show. You don't know what you don't know! If this is played right by Ben/team, none of us will ever know.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree Blast he has stayed quiet and people do need thicker skin however if the "whole world" is piling on Ben there has to be good reason. This is a 2 way street bud, AB is a jerk however that don't make Ben a saint. Let's not forget how this all of a sudden great leader was ready to bail on his 52 "kids" and retire cause he didn't like the OC..........just sayin, 2 way street.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, there doesn’t, that’s what the phrase piling on means.

And there have been plenty of teammates, current and past that have been coming to his defense and refuting it.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wonder why I don’t get that same courtesy when I criticize Washington :hmm:

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It works both ways doesn’t it. You don’t know if you don’t know. So the people who are defending him wouldn’t know either. There’s more to being a leader than what happens on the field. For every positive confirmation of his leadership there is also a negative one. So who is right? When someone comes out negatively they have a agenda? But when something positive is said, it’s a fact?
    The truth is somewhere in the middle. He could be a worse leader but he could be better as well.

I happen to think he’s a pretty good leader on the field and he’s a hell of a competitor and players rally around him. Off the field is a totally different story. His passive/ aggressive attacks against coaches and players and even the franchise (retirement threat) are detrimental to the team. His off the field reputation of being a jerk to people is well documented as well. Some here have even had their own personal experiences (golfing) .

IMO he could be doing a hell of a lot more to make this team the best it could be. Some of those things would be keeping all criticism in house. Being at OTAs . Especially not criticizing someone and then disappearing yourself. He should be playing more in the PS and I don’t want to hear it’s up to Tomlin. The unquestioned leader and father to 52 kids would have every right to insist on playing and he don’t. I don’t have to get into the ramifications of not playing in the PS. Our slow start every year is proof enough. That always comes back to bite us in the end. Yet we don’t learn from it. He has the reputation of being last to arrive and first to leave for practice. He isn’t always in his best shape...but in a extension year, he sure was.

Is he a great QB ? yes. Can he be doing more to be the best he can be? Hell yes.....

I love Ben for what he has done for us on the field but a big part of me is disappointed that he could of been and could of done so much more to ensure better success. It’s been over 10 years since winning our last SB. He has to share some of that blame. Not only for some of his poor play on it but because of his questionable attitude off it. IMO

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Because it all comes back to your Ben colored glasses. I am still waiting for all you guys to pull up them first 25 targets and tell me how many are Ben's fault and how many were JW's fault, not that it would matter your minds are already made up.

And for the record what do you have to criticise JW about....Ben's comments that is what. When I pull out how JW has played the last part of the season all you came back with is well that was all cause of Ben calling him out or it was cause Ben threw him the ball never about how that rookie built up a bond with Ben and they worked together. Whatever man........

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I can't recall the leadership of a veteran NFL quarterback ever being called into question like this.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok. So when you criticize its objective but when anyone else does it hate based.

Good to know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I can think of a few although none are hofers. (Yet)
    Jeff George
    Andy Dalton
    Joe Flacco
    Tyrod Taylor
    Teddy Bridgewater
    Drew Brees when he played for the Chokers
    Jamais Winston
    Micheal Vick
    Cam Newton
    Eli Manning
    Alex Smith
    Derrick Carr
    Dak Prescott
    Lately, Kirk Cousins
    Jay Cutler
    Blake Bortles

Many more throughout the years.
    I think the talking heads just focus on Ben because of his past & all the Cowgirl fans in the World. Most people hate the Steelers or Cowboys. (with the Cheats currently taking over team most hated, except on ESPN & NfL Network. Steelers still the favorite team to hate there.)

18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Your making a lot of assumptions in this thread. You assume Ben was talking about retirement because of Haley. That might be partly true. Or was it maybe because he just suffered a horrible loss to the Jaguars, with the best team the Steelers have had in years? Maybe it was because he was healthy and he would like to walk when hes 50. Maybe it was because he has a pretty young wife and kids. :shrug: My point is, I don't know, and neither do you. It's not like Ben made a public spectacle of himself. He simply stated he needed some time to evaluate his future. Perfectly normal for an NFL quarterback Ben's age.

The same type of assumptions are being made by yourself and @thesteeldeal regarding this radio show situation. You guys are assuming someone told him to drop the show. Reality is that none of us no whether that is the case or not. Ben said some things on the show, the he flat out shouldn't have said. Personally, I believe Ben dropped the show because he doesn't want his show to be a distraction.

This whole leadership thing is pretty weak IMO. AB started this narrative, and he has ZERO leadership skills himself. So why would we take his word for it. AB started it. The media ran with it. Then everybody who knows, or has ever known Ben, chimes in. The only one who does not chime in is Ben himself. The fact that he doesn't shows me exactly the kind of leadership you guys keep questioning.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I guess I should have clarified. No one on your list has 15 seasons as a starter, 3 SB appearances and 2 SB titles. (Eli comes close, but he's in the NY media which automatically garners extra attention). Guys like Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater, J Winston and Dak Prescott ect. aren't really on my radar, and they aren't on the national media's radar day after day, with team mates past and present coming forward to defend them. The fact that this is still making headlines is unique.
    Also, anyone who questioned Drew Brees as a leader at any point in his career (including college) doesn't know what they're talking about.

20. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Does he use the radio show to run down his teammates? I am betting no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Not that I want to start this argument back up, but was what Ben said really all that bad? I mean, are these guys okay? Did they need counseling?

I am on record that I did not like Ben calling guys out on the show, but the whole thing was way overblown. People fail to mention that Ben praises his teammates on that show a lot more often than he questions them. Ben raved about AB all the time on that show. The only thing we ever talk about is the one time where he didn't. Ben called out JW, but then gave him props later on in the season and said he was proud of him. It's not like Ben is on that show bashing guys week after week.

• Like Like x 2
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Aren't you making the same assumptions but in favor of Ben? Does that make our opinions any less valid than yours? Like I said I follow breadcrumbs. So Ben went from retirement to wanting to play another 5 years after Haley was let go and you think it wasn't because of Haley. You think it was only maybe partly true? Your not being honest with yourself. Can it be proven? No. 98% of our opinions can't but it's pretty easy to imagine when they clearly hated each other from day 1. We don't need to rehash all the warning signs there.

The radio show? Again he is being lauded for giving up the show. So it's ok to assume it was all his idea and a great sign of leadership but not ok to assume he was kindly nudged into giving it up. I thought someone on here posted that Colbert or Tomlin made mention of " wishing " he would give it up but I'm not sure. Either way it's not a stretch at all to kinda figure it was asked of him. Again no 100% proof but a educated opinion leads in that direction.

The leadership factor? Ben has been questioned way before AB. Hines has questioned it. It was Cowher who gave him the name drama queen. Yes it goes back that far. Did you also hear what Ryan Clark said about having to call a team meeting to discuss the way Ben was behaving with his teammates? I know when Clark says something about AB it's gospel but when he has things to say about Ben he's got a narrative and he don't know anything (maybe not you but a lot of people are like that) I'm sure he improved by leaps and bounds but I expect the best from a " unquestioned " leader and father of "52kids". As far as Ben not chiming in? Seriously what is he gonna say? You may think it's showing leadership. I think it's just being smart and not playing tit for tat. That would serve no purpose. I will give him credit for that although I do expect some of his passive agressivenes to rear its ugly heard at some point. You know he can't help himself. Any way nice job on that Ben. Now show me real leadership during OTAs ,pre season and all the things that fall under the category of preparation. Trouble makers are gone.....no excuses,right?

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Was it the worst thing I've ever seen or a crime against humanity? Heck no. Was it a dick move and poor leadership to call guys out on the radio? Hell yes. Nothing good comes of it. It was dumb. I am glad he won't be doing it any more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with this we all don't know and honestly it isn't a big deal, but how many threads are there about Ben showing his leadership? I am not knocking Ben for this decision I love it I have said that. However then people start threads about how great his leadership but didn't you just say we don't know if it was his decision? That's my point there is no need to brag up Ben as a leader we all know Ben has his good and bad.

As for the whole AB thing bringing it to light there are plenty of people coming out in support on both sides, I could care less if Ben is a leader or not but the smoke is there both ways. Like I have said in the past it is all about winning #7 to me. jmo

Also yeah me and Steeldeal have the same opinions but there aren't others here that have the same opinion. I mean you and Blast are pretty much on the same page on this as well as others so what are you getting at?

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

'Cause your not a Franchise Quarterback!!

Duh!! :goofy::lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5