1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

devin white

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steel1031, Mar 28, 2019.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Heath Miller only had over 600 yards receiving 4 times in his 11 seasons. Pretty lofty total for a rookie to achieve when most of the targets go to the WRs, especially when you have receiving capable RBs as well. Just sayin...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well that is fine that you don't care what he did his first year but you are gonna say he is a better blocker then given credit for please tell me how you know this? Is it off the 174 snaps out of a possible 1116 that he played? I am not sure people in the NFL can tell that. Also I am not just talking about blocking that is why I am talking about Fant and TJ, we need pass catchers too. So you don't care about the past you just feel he can step right in and be our#2 guy? Good for you I don't feel that way, Vance played 564 and James played 562 that is a lot to replace and I don't have confidence in him to make that next step. He is nothing more than a #3 TE plain and simple. A guy like Fant or TJ offers pass catching ability which in this NFL you need. So your point of one of them guys sitting on the bench as a first rounder in incorrect. And if you don't want to worry about guys getting hurt maybe you better go back and see how some of our seasons ended with our stars out and nobody ready to take over.

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Agreed there is more but what I posted about Goedert is right on and looks to have worked for the Eagles. I am pretty sure the Steelers won't go TE but what we are talking about in my opinion, what I would do. Again this is about taking a TE over a WR, you bring up other TE's in the draft later on well look at the WR's this class is loaded. There is a big drop from the first round TE's to the mid round ones. Heck that Warring guy we drafted in our mock is a project, and that is my point we are in win now. If Vance goes down what do we have Grimble who has shown nothing and a project? I will be happy as heck to get a big TE for Ben I can tell ya this he won't be sitting on the bench he will be get the 500+ snaps James left with. jmo

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Goedert was a great pickup for the Eagles, I was hoping that we would have gotten him.

My argument though is Fant or any TE we draft will make little impact this season.

Bet you any money in the world a top WR in the first will produce more than Fant.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Overall stats may be higher for a WR, however, I think a TE would have a bigger impact game to game in an overall sense.

I think if we drafted Hockenson he is a playing a higher volume of snaps vs a WR. Our WR corps is a little more full than our TE depth.

But as I've championed all along, I am hoping for a defensive pick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This ^

7. Mcgee

Mcgee Active Member

Oct 2, 2016
    In general, I don't think White is worth our 1 & 3 & 5 to move up to get him. There are a couple of young inside linebackers that are more worthy a pick in the third round. I wouldn't even pick Bush at 20, don't think he's big enough. I prefer drafting a wide receiver like Parris Campbell who I think is the unsung best wide receiver in the draft. I would trade up a couple of picks to get either Iowa tight end, I like them both. But only using one of our third round picks. We are really thin at TE and McDonald is injury prone.

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I disagree for a few reasons. TE is a position of need for us we all know Vance is fragile and that's all we have there as far as pass catchers go. Another reason is our depth at WR Juju, Moncreil, JW, Switzer and Rogers. Last year Juju got 111 recp, AB 104 and Switzer 36 thats a big drop off for a 3rd WR. Vance had had 50 and James had 30, I am confident Fant/TJ can match the numbers of a #2 TE. Not to mention Vance did play 15 games what happens when he only plays 10 like the year before? We have depth at WR that if one goes down we will be ok but not at TE.

9. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I didn't know he was Italian.

• Like Like x 2
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    lmao.....

upload_2019-4-1_20-9-42.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't know about that. Bryant who was the 5th or 6th receiver and didn't get on the field until halfway through the season ended up with 220 snaps. Unless Vance gets hurt, I doubt Fant would see more than that. Then there is still the fact that TE's coming out of college have a difficult time adjusting to the pros.

James had 3 years under his belt. Fant would be a rookie.

2 rookies in 15 years only breaking 600 yards is pretty damning.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    All the stuff I have been saying this right here is what I am really trying to say, well said man. :thumbs_up:

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I get that but the NFL is and has changed. This is a major passing league and like I said before college players are more prepared for the NFL than ever due to NFL coaches going to college and running the NFL system.

Also your numbers are wrong first you stated that there was one TE in 15 years and I threw out Goedert now you are saying there was 2. Now I will throw out Engram and his 722 yards and his 64 receptions on 115 targets as the 23rd pick in the first round of the 2017 draft. That was just a quick search I am not sure if there are more or not don't really feel the need to waste my time I think the point is out there that in the right system(OURS) A TE CAN be a bigger impact than a #4 WR.

IMO Fant/TJ will see more snap counts and for targets than any WR in the first round. We have a major hole at #2 TE and sorry Grimble is not the guy to fill that. He is a solid, very solid #3 but he just is not #2 material. :smiley1:

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wrong. I said there was 2 and Engram was one of them. Some guy named Johnson is the other.

I said I like Goedert and think he was a very good pick up but he only had about 300 yards his first season. This whole discussion is about the impact rookie TEs make.

Fant or any TE we draft will likely have very little impact next season.

15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I guessg i agree on Fant. Probably looking at less than 500 yards and 3 TDs. I think a WR like AJ Brown would easily surpass those numbers.

But i still think a guy like Hockenson would play a higher volume of snaps vs any drafted WR, go for 500 yards and 5 TDs and be a factor in both the run game and pass protection game.

Of any TE or WR drafted by the Steelers, I think Hockenson would have the greatest impact in our offense.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Wrong this whole discussion is about how a TE(Fant/TJ) would make a bigger impact on OUR team then a first round WR. I don't give a rats a$$ about other teams, we have a need at the #2 TE spot that is bigger then a need at the #4 WR spot. And yeah you were right about Engram but does it really matter or are some of you guys that self absorbed that you feel the need to be right? Whatever man your talking on a message board where most of the time it is opinion based not factual, get over it!:smiley1:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dude, you're jumping into a middle of a discussion and trying to tell me what its about. You're Wrong. Whether it's Fant or any name you want to pick from this draft, past history says they will struggle their first year. This isn't complicated guys. Theres obviously a steep learning curve entering the pros for TE's.

Then you give me some mumbo jumbo about being self absorbed for pointing out you wrongly accused me of misrepresenting myself. What a hoot. Take a breath bud.

"Whatever" is right, highjacked this thread long enough, supposed to be about Devin White.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    This is for everyone involved in this thread. I just picked your post because you mentioned the 500yds a couple times.....all this is JMO.

Just curious as to how and when 500 or 600yds became the magic number as to whether a TE is deemed successful. Like Turtle I believe pointed out Heath only did it 4 times in 11 years. Does that mean all those other years weren't a success and he didn't have a positive impact on our O. I'm sure if we had to do it all over again 100% of us would draft Heath again. We haven't drafted a TE or a WR in 12+ years. Isn't that a trend? We drafted Holmes the year after Heath. Who would be the choice between the two if anyone had to choose? SH was a much better WR coming out of college than any of these guys who have yet to distinguish themselves from each other. No simply drafting a guy that can run fast at pick 20 isn't a great idea. If that's the criteria we should just wait like I suggest and grab one later. There plenty of fast guys....

The scouting reports on Hockenson and Fant are very similar. If you want the little better blocker you go for Hock. If you want the little better receiver you go with Fant. I don't see how you can go wrong with either. They are both projected as 10+ year players at their position. That's a very high floor and a sound investment and a bigger area of need than a 5th or 6th WR especially where there is no clear cut favorite.
    There is no mistaking Hock and Fant are 1-2 then there is everyone else. If you are basing their success and impact on some made up magic number then have at it. There are way too many factors and variables involved to try and say only 2 TEs in the last 15 years has made a positive impact on his team. There are already exceptions to that rule( trend) so why is it so hard to imagine either of these guys being yet another one.
    Every situation is different....was the TE drafted supposed to come in and start right away? What kind of system was he in? Was he mostly a blocking type or was he a move TE like Fant? So many questions to sit there and say we should be scared of a trend. You would have to go back and log every play that first year TEs have been involved in to see whether or not he was effective in what was asked of him. Some are totally overlooking the impact on the running game as well. Something we clearly need to get back too. How does a WR help that? How important is a excellent receiving TE in the RZ? Fant had 18 TDs in his last 2 seasons.
    Sorry I'm not gonna base my opinion on whether a TE can help the team be more successful in various ways by whether or not he goes for 500 or 600yds receiving. I'll gladly take 499 and 7-10 TDs.:smiley1: Like I said too many variables involved to just sit there and say it's not gonna work. Even if it doesn't fully click year one either of those guys can still have a impact. It's far from impossible because a trend says so. Worst case scenario you have a real good or great TE for the next 10 years and you solidify the position. Can you say the same about any of these WRs when even one the most athletic freaks to ever come into the league at WR has plenty of unanswered questions about how he will translate to the next level.

I agree with many others, give me defense at 20 all day. IMO given the choice between one of the two best TEs in the entire draft or a run of the mill WR at 20. Where there are plenty of guys to be had...ill take the TE all day.....even if he don't break the magic number ;)

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Start a TE thread if you want to keep discussing this. We’ve completely taken over Steels1031 thread.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :this!:

.... In other news!! :lolol:

Cincinnati will bring forth both Devin's for Pre Draft Visits. That being said, it is evident that Zac Taylor is really looking for a linebacker. That being said though, should Haskins fall to 10 somehow with Bush on the board, that would be most intriguing.

At this point though, I have given up on Devin White escaping the Top 10. If Tampa Bay does not nab him, Denver will most assuredly be the team. Vic Fangio is the ideal coach to teach Devin White how to access his full potential. Now, if Detriot does not feel there is a good enough Edge Rusher, they could also acquire White.

• Like Like x 1
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I betcha Devin White doesn't get 600 yards....

and some idiot already started a TE prospect thread :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn’t believe we ever had a shot at White and don’t want to move up. Especially into the top 10 to get him.

I don’t see anyone woth moving up a lot for.

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Quinenn Williams is without question. Issue is, attempting to acquire him is going to move the literal draft form of "Heaven and Earth". No way jose! :lolol:

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    QW is a absolute monster. He's gonna be a handful in this league....

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So you and I go back and forth about TE's and WR and I am the one hijacking the thread ok right. If you need me to be wrong to make you feel better than fine I am wrong but I am not sure how you can be wrong about an opinion but WHATEVER!

As for hijacking the tread not what I was trying to do but I don't believe I was the one who changed that direction maybe around post 43 it changed and that wasn't me. :smiley1: