1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeper pick at CB

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 29, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

He's 6'0 195lbs 4.42 forty, 41 inch vertical, 9 career ints, and 15 PBU. This is a guy maybe to consider in the third round, since the Steelers have two picks in the third.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Love Bunting personally. I think that ceiling is very high in comparison to his other fellow corners. Just needs some good coaching. For that matter, keep it simple coverage wise for him.

Rather, have him mainly play press man. He excels at that. Let him develop from there.

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If we are talking mid to late round CBs I'll have to throw my hat in for Brian Peavy Iowa State. 5'9 190 6 INTs and 38 PBUs. Thats a good number right there. Smaller guy but can tackle which I love. Definitely a slot corner candidate.

Loving what Iowa and Iowa State have been producing for the drafts recently I might add.

Also Jimmy Moreland a small school sleeper I like with Corey Ballentine. Moreland is slightly undersized as well but look at this - 18 career INTs, 6 pick sixes, and 63 PBUs. crazy. Feisty dude too. With those numbers I may like him higher than Ballentine (who I liked with his ST experience). At Morelands pro day 4.4, 120 broad, 39 vert, 6.9 3cone.

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They need a backup outside CB, after Haden and Nelson too many unknowns.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they have a 6-3 corner that has been here going on 3 years now, i think its time to get allen on the field more. the kid runs a 4.48 and i thought played pretty well last preseason. suttons role is mixed right now. with that said.

mullen, lane, oruwaryie, love, ya-sin, baker, willis and even greedy all look like they might be in play.

they also seem to be looking at other options at ILB. long jr., johnson from texas, gilbert, as well as white, bush, wilson and a few others.

DT/DE seems to be heavily in the mix as well in the first 5 rds.

WR is being heavily looked at as well. big and fast, small and fast, seems like they want a field stretcher to take some heat off juju.

safety is also being looked at. even a couple of the corners that could translate better to safety.

these spots over most other position should make up our first 5 picks. TE is getting luke warm looks as well as O-Line and RB, but they are being looked at. :cool:

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Allen better show something in camp or he's probably gone, Sutton has been a disappointment, he couldn't beat out Sensabaugh :facepalm:.

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Where's the love for Murphy?????

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Jimmy Moreland is a good sleeper, he had a nice senior bowl which opened my eyes on him. I loved the way he played vs the screen nice read and react.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Waiting to see who shows at his pro day this week.

After reading tomlins comments on Nelson and his inside outside capabilities and sutton also, I'm thinking we go after one of these types. MT is the more you can do coach, so I started looking at what they may see in who they are looking at. Love and Murphy are two inside outside types. Lane and Willis seem more like outside, free safety capable types. I think baker, greedy and oruwariye are strictly outside guys. Maybe ya-sin too. Mullen I think could do both. I don't doubt we take two. Oh and Boyd is corner safety capable too. I'd say less corner more safety though. Let's not forget savage. He can fly and is safety corner capable. I want some speed of we are going after these guys. Quickness, speed and toughness all mixed in one is the ticket. Who has it all?:cool:

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    And Sean Bunting is a known...ok

• Like Like x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

If you name enough players you are sure to be right about one of them.....:roflmao:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Mcgee

Mcgee Active Member

Oct 2, 2016
    This guy isn't considered a corner but he's definitely a game changer. Check out Johnathan Abram from Mississippi State. He's all over the field all the time and hits like a tank! He runs under 4.5. Reminds me of Troy. Enough said.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not for me personally. He has some good traits but not enough to warrant the praise he receives.

He is a overall Strong Safety but that is it for me. I do not see a sliver of impact playmaking in his college career like Derwin James; Troy doubly so and no less. Among the Strong Safeties in this class, Taylor Rapp, Amani Hooker and Juan Thornhill would be better fits for teams who need as close to an impact Strong Safety.

Regarding safety though, we need some depth in the backend. For me preferably, one who can replace Sean Davis. Assuming he does very well this season, a big if mind you, he is easily going to price himself out of Pittsburgh.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Darnell Savage Jr. AINEC. What would he be incapable of playing on our defense in the backend sans dimebacker?! Among the Round 2 players I would trade up for, he is it. Honorable mention is Amani Hooker. Most instinctive defensive back in the draft. Hopefully he gets a Pre Draft Visit.

Beyond those two, not much else. Trayvon Mullen could be. That guy can be either an outside corner or a FS/Cover 3 Corner Hybrid player. Beyond him though, slim pickings. Does one take a late round flier on Ken Webster and hope he develops?! He has the athletic ability but has never put it all together.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    We know the CBs besides Haden on the team aren't good, that's why they need to draft a outside CB, who possibly could be better that the current crop :shrug:.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not the one looking at all these players the Steelers are. They are the ones that have to be right not me or you.;):cool:

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes you are right about that however they aren't the one throwing out names of every prospect know to man......you are doing that. :smiley1:

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    who have I mentioned that they haven't gone to see or work out? :cool:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well you listed just about every Cb that could go in the first 2 rounds.......

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and that is who they looked at. i didn't say we draft them all or one was my pick or any thing like that. information to talk about my friend thats all. love, mullen or oruwariye are my favorites for us. savage as the safety. there. at least its not fant fant fant fant fant murphy murphy murphy. what happens if someone else drafts those two will you just expect them to say heck with it we don't need no stinking draft picks? :thumbs_up::cool:

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Seems as if Tomlin nor Colbert elected to go to Washington's Pro Day. That does not bode well for Byron Murphy. Either or have to be at the Pro Day to garner any interest.

That being said, there still is the Pre Draft Visits. Hopefully Pittsburgh invites him here. Among the corners in the draft, he is the best overall.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    well that's a bummer.. Doesn't seem to me they are interested in getting another corner, but there are still 20 visits or so to go. Guess they didn't want to look at Rapp either.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

A scout for Pittsburgh did go to see Taylor Rapp. Who that is though remains unknown.

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    OK I misread your post that no scouts were at the pro day. But you were talking KC and MT.

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Isn't Artie already a sleeper at CB? :hehehe: