1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Showing His Leadership. Gives up Radio Show

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Mar 30, 2019.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I don’t see giving up the show as having anything to do with leadership. I see it more as damage control. Was it Ben’s idea? Rooney/Tomlin/Colbert? Probably both. But I’m laying money some of it came from Mrs. Ben.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Does she have a alias on this board? :shrug:;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well taking time off and not being at OTA's are 2 differnt things......for a LEADER that is a pretty bad decision. I don't care that he takes Wednesdays off I am fine with that but I don't want to hear all this great leadership talk when you have an OTA and miss it. JMO

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    My bet is that if you asked Mrs Ben she'd say: Ben had a weekly radio show? Huh, never noticed.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have a problem with "Ben's Day" only because if they aren't working on actual game plans until Friday it bugs me. Not a giving him an easy day but that they are wasting 3 days of prep time doing who knows what.

Also this is obviously an attempt by Ben to squeeze the "X" for a new contract and more money up front. It's the in thing these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Especially after you criticize someone else for missing them. But hey like I've said before a multi millionaire has to take advantage of those Expedia deals when they pop up in your inbox....

• Like Like x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    See here's the thing fellas. At what point can we give Ben a little credit? You knock him for what he said on the show. Then you knock him for giving up the show. I'm not suggesting we build a statue in his honor or anything, but lets at least acknowledge that Ben recognized a problem and took a step to correct it.

I really don't care whether or not Ben gave up the show of his own volition. Even if the higher ups asked him to do it, can we give Ben some credit for agreeing to do so? For months now, Ben has taken it on the chin in the media. Has Ben lashed out? Has he fought back? Has he even tried to defend himself? No, he hasn't done any of those things. He has taken it all in stride and has been the bigger person the whole way through. Now he has given up a show, that he seemed to genuinely enjoy doing, for the good of the team. Sure seems like he has been displaying good leadership traits to me. He is certainly showing better leadership than Mr. Big Chest or the Rap Giant ever have.

Ben isn't perfect, but he very quietly is doing all the right things this offseason IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Yes. She posts as Watt Whack.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I can definitely agree on the last two lines but im not willing to give him credit for something that was most likely asked of him. Was he supposed to say no? I don't think so. I'll just agree I'm glad the show is over either way.

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    She must have quite a few then:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Some people just can’t let it go.

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I was really critical of his approach with Washington and would even argue how many balls has Ben ever caught to be telling another player to trust the throw and run through the catch. I didn't feel the radio show was the right format for leadership. However after his comments and working with Washington it appears that it was what Washington needed. He said it really helped him. It must have been the right way to help him adjust from college to pro ball. So it is easy to say I was wrong and give Ben props for knowing what his teammate needed

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    To me, players that perform poorly during the week should be called out on a radio show. I can't tell you how many times Ben also puts the blame on himself. It's sad that peoples egos were hurt but I wouldn't necessarily call that bad leadership. A bunch of players who can't take criticism should find a new line of income that certainly will not pay as much. No wonder there are locker room problems. Everyone is walking on eggshells.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He gave up the radio show either way via whatever avenue. Sounds good to me. Doesn't play social media games, we all know the accusations and how he turned that around wether or not you believe it's genuine, you can't deny the fact that there has been some change in that regard.

If he was the douche folks describe he'd be on the world wide retaliation tour to save a brand I guess. I'm Over hurt feelings and distorting the facts to legitimize hurt feelings that are hurt for personal gain and not logically based.

Their chances are better with him up until the top shelf usefulness is gone and it's not gone yet. Go field general and go STEELERS

• Like Like x 1
  15. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I give Big Ben ALOT of credit. When you build a QB, you start with a 6'5 250 man. Which he is, give and take on the weight. He has an arm that can throw like Uncle Rico. After 15 years, he can still throw. He has good feet, when he has to run or avoid contact in the pocket, he is great. When he is on, he is as good as anyone when it matters.

Big Ben is a Hall of Fame QB with unlimited talent and he has used those talent to win 2 Super Bowls.

With all that, there one thing he never had been and that's a leader. He just isnt. He is a leader by default because football is a QB game more now than ever. That's it. He doesnt inspire, he doesnt make anyone better outside of them running a route the right way or blocking well.

2005 Pittsburgh Steelers might have been the closest team in the history of the NFL. They squeezed all of their might for Jerome Bettis. They loved that man so much they killed themselves on the road for 4 games to win a title after having to win the last 4 games of the regular season just to get in. THATS a leader. Thats a guy who inspires.

Big Ben is who he is. Glad to have him and I hope he plays another 5 years at a high level, but he is never and never has been a leader. He just isnt.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Lots of people at fault. It's just time to make sure to end any places where drama arose.
    It's time for Steelers to pull a year of silence and let their play do the talking and take care of any problems behind closed doors like it should be done.

It's my guess that all the leaders in the organization are tired of the criticism and probably have a chip on their shoulders to get things done or get out of town. I see the Steelers being much focused.

17. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    only had the show bc brown and bell on the team, but they gone now

18. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am knocking him for giving up the show where did you see that? On the other hand Ben did something to benefit this team and you want to put him on pedestal???? This thread is about Ben giving up the show making him a leader......sorry I don't see how giving up this show shows leadership.

This whole making Ben a victim is crazy too. I love Ben the player and that was what I was saying in my last post. All I care about is wins and raising that trophy at the end of the year.....which has been too long of a time. As for Ben doing all the right things this year he has to there is a light shining on him now. Oh wait he has a choice he could talk retirement like he did before when he didn't like his OC. The whole comparing Ben to AB is dumb, QB is the position of leadership.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So you’re saying he’s a leader?

• Like Like x 2
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    What’s lost in this is that Washington was benched in the game following. So how is that fair to be called out on the radio and then not given the chance to learn and compete? If Hunter doesn’t get hurt that week maybe we don’t even see Washington after that. If a player is gonna be criticized he deserves the right to bounce back. IMO. We don’t know if being called out on the radio is what Washington needed because he was benched. Could it be that the one on one he had with Ben was far more productive than being put on blast? IMO one on one interaction is a much better and effective avenue than going through the media. Like I’ve said it was obviously a problem and a issue if the show is no more.

21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    some people just can't let go others that cant let it go lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I hope the he just ignores the media totally actually I hope the team avoids the media totally. It would go a long way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Be careful, if you get him confused he will call you bad names

24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011

So there is that as well.

• Like Like x 3
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn