1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

devin white

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steel1031, Mar 28, 2019.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Well, considering that we've only traded up BIG once.... for Troy.... I'm just not seeing them doing the same for an ILB. Historically, Colbert has admitted to building the team through the draft, whether or not we agree or disagree.... his style isn't making big splashes with trades. They'll use all 10 draft picks and give them all a chance to make the team..... of course they won't but that's Colbert's style.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Vince Williams caliber 6th rounder is a million x more likely than Brady or Brown. I’d be rolling the dice on trading up

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    but you would be giving up far more than a Vince williams spot.:cool:

4. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Did you have your eyes dilated this morning or what?!

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No I sure didnt. Do you understand that we have way too many holes to fill to give up 3 picks for one average LB. We would have to give up far more than a couple of 6th round picks or as I showed a couple of Vince williams. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    moving up in the first is just too pricey. Yes, we have 10 picks. They can use some of those surplus picks to move up in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to target some guys they covet. Much greater use of draft capitol. I would stay put at 20 and see who's on the board.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    If you go by the chart going from 20 to 10 will cost 450 points. our 3rd #66 is worth 260 and our 5th #141 is worth only 84 so it would still leave us 106 short...........

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    IDK I with Elvis all day on this yeah we have 10 picks but use them to trade up in the 2nd and/or 3rd not the first. I like White a lot better than Bush but neither IMO are worth moving up 10 or more spots. Bush is so bad I am happy as hell to see him in a Bungal ro Ratbird uni!!!!!!!

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I would move back before I move up in this draft.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Pratt in the 2nd?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

As I indirectly stated earlier, that would be moving "Heaven and Earth". Not going to happen. The last time we saw Kevin move that "level" was in 2003 when he selected Troy. That is about as high as he would be willing to move up... and that was only getting into the top 20; 27th at the time to 16th from the Chiefs. In that instance, a first, third and sixth were given to Kansas City to acquire Troy. By today's NFL Draft Trade Value Chart, that constitutes as a steal.

All this being said, one underlying sub plot is being missed here; the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. They hold the keys to Pittsburgh acquiring either Devin. Should they draft White at 5, kiss Bush Jr. good bye. An argument could be made for Detroit although I believe someone like Montez Sweat or even RaShan Gary if available are superior options.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't know who this Chris Mack guy is, but I'm happy as hell he doesn't run our draft.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You and me both man :thumbs_up:

15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Sorry, the #s I had worked out were our 1st, Oakland 3rd and our 3rd to move to #10.

If Colbert and Tomlin love Devin White that may not be too steep of a price for them. I for one hope they aren't head over heels.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Your good man and you are right our 1st and 2 thirds will get it done as far as numbers go that equals 1285 and we would need 1300. I am guessing we would have to add a 5th in there and IMO that is way to much to give up. I agree with you and hope they aren't that in love with either......jmo :smiley1:

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If they do move up for either of those two it will be a pick where need trumps everything and they are goo goo eyed over the combine testing and not the tape.

Ok that was my last dig :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Depends who's left on the board imo. I don't see how they would pass on a TE if the ILBs are gone. Whether it be Hockenson or Fant or maybe they value Irv Smith in the first. who knows. But if it's only 5 spots on moving back and you can get a 2020 pick to help that year's draft, I think Fant would still be there as well as Smith.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    exactly, you move up in the 2nd round with Denver to leap frog Cincy and it costs you the 4th round pick.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not saying I would look to. I'm just saying that if it had the be one or the other. I'm in on Fant if he's there especially over a WR. I don't see a WR coming in and being able to be as versatile and being able to be used in mismatches like Fant would. What makes anyone think a WR is gonna come in and have a impact right away. It took JUJU half a season and he had AB across from him. That minor detail shouldn't be overlooked. JW had AB and JUJU and was very productive in college and he still has some questions that need to be answered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yes good points. and for those thinking of WR in the first I have 4 words. James Connor, Jaylen Samuels. We can't pass on every down :lolol:. j/k, but a TE would help with both phases of the offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is factually incorrect, we've discussed this before. TE's do not make immediate impacts. WR's and RB's make far more of an impact than TE's.

In the last 15 years only 2 TE's have produced more than 600 yards in their first season, Engram and some guy I never heard of from Seattle, John Carlson. Most don't even approach that.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...-tight-ends-struggle-to-make-immediate-impact

I would love to have Fant but he's not going to be very helpful to them this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Fant drops passes, and isn't a finished product. Hockenson is the better prospect.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    A trend doesn't mean things can't change. We wouldn't be expecting Fant who I'm targeting in particular to be a starter. He wouldn't be asked to block that much which is part of the reason highlighted in the article as one for the reasons TEs typically get off to as slow start. We have McDonald for that. He would be more of a jumbo WR than a typical TE and I feel he can step into that role quite easily. Who is this WR that is gonna come in and make a immediate impact? Is he gonna play over JUJU,JW Moncrief,Switzer or Rogers? Doubtful. The consensus is pretty much that we have to get back to being a more balanced offense. That means way less 4 and 5 WR sets. Having two pass catching TEs who are both not to shabby at blocking creates way better mismatches and confusion for opposing defenses. We have been looking for a seam buster at the TE position and Fant is clearly that.

I don't care what the numbers or the trend says . In our particular situation someone like Fant is way more valuable to this current offensive group than a 4th or 5 th WR. Don't we have faith in Ben to utilize all his weapons now that he doesn't have to force the ball to AB :shrug:;).....all jmo.

• Like Like x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He may not be a finished project and his blocking may not be on Hockensons level but it's still pretty good.
    Fant has a higher ceiling....IMO. McDonald has/had the drops label too. He seems to be working out pretty well.....

• Agree Agree x 1