1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Murphy or Bush?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by VTSteelerfan, Mar 27, 2019.

1. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Most mock drafts have us taking one or the other, personally, I would like to see Bush in Black & Gold what's the census?

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Whomever is available. Depends on the board. Personally I would still take Bush. That being said, Brian Burns is more enticing a prospect by the day. Would not mind picking him.

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I see all your posts about Burns. But when are they going to play him? Dupree and Watt hardly come off the field. And yes, Chickillo spells them on occasion, but they only kept 3 on the roster last year and now you'd have 3 first rounders plus a re-signed back up (Chickillo) and an Ola in waiting. He hasn't proved much yet but they seem to like him.

You know they are not getting rid of Watt so Dupree would essentially be a lame duck. Costing 9mil to boot. I'm sure Dupree will love that which will just be more locker room crap. I just don't see them sitting Burns in place of Dupree or vice versa.

What would be your plan at OLB?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    to answer the OP, I'd go Murphy all day.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Trade Dupree to Detroit for a 4th.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We made Deebo a backup and made Jarvis a backup, if burns earns the starts so be it. :cool:

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    For you AQL....

EDGE Brian Burns, Florida St. 6'4¾", 249 lbs. The top sack artist in college football, designed by nature to play 3-4 OLB, and probably an irresistible steal if he falls to 1:20. People suspected that he'd played around 230 lbs. in college, so coming in to the Combine 20 pounds bigger, moving like a DB in the field drills, and posting a 94th percentile SPARQ score was huge. To top it all off, here is no question about his ability in run support and he's young in the way that Pittsburgh prefers (turns 21 in April). It would be hard to design a better Edge prospect from a Steelers POV. Consider: theNFL.com scouting profile had one real issue, namely that "his skinny frame and lack of play strength are absolutely concerns moving forward." Not anymore! He answered every question, and did so resoundingly. Nick Farabaugh's gif-supported BTSC scouting report argued that he'd be a steal at 1:20 and it's looking like he was right. Here are equally glowing scouting profiles from The Draft Network that praise his versatility above all else: bend, strength, length, moves - he triumphs most as a brilliant player in all facets than a pure and unique genius in any one area. Alex Kozora's pre-Combine gif-supported scouting report is less positive, citing "inconsistency" and lack of upper body strength.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    serious, that's your argument. An over 35 Deebo and Jarvis effin Jones. Come on man. Dupree is in his prime career timeline wise.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My posts from Burns stem from Dupree's lack of production. Yes, they gave him the $9 million fifth year option. That does not mean they should wait another season to find someone to pair up with Watt. That being said, as it was the case for T.J. Watt, Burns can be slowly integrated into the defense; replacing Dupree in the lineup when the time comes. He is only 20 at that. Plenty of time to build him up during and after the conclusion of the 2019 Regular Season.

Here in lies the biggest key point of emphasis as to why I want Brian Burns should he be the final contingency plan available. Among the edge rushers in this class, players at that, his floor is a lot higher than others are giving it credit for. Much of the weight concerns were already addressed at the combine, 249lbs. total in comparison to many thought to be 235lbs. If players like Leonard Floyd and Von Miller are capable of playing as 3-4 Outside Linebackers, there is no reason to assume Brian is incapable either.

Even if Dupree somehow, someway, bounces back to finally have that double digit sack season, he is going to cost an arm and a leg to re-sign. If this season's Free Agency is any indication, there is no reason to assume Dupree will not command more money. That being said, while he is playing, he can be spelled by Burns and Watt via Chickillo should T.J. Watt need some rest.

As the saying goes;

"You can never have too many pass rushers."

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    So was jarvis. I'm just showing you where we have done it before and if dupree couldn't out play burns or winovich or whomever, they won't hesitate to use the other guy. Why wouldn't they? Maybe they do move him inside next to barron. He has shown some coverage ability. Probably better than vince. Definitely faster than vince. C'mon we are 5 years in. :cool:

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I heard some draftniks say Burns is a speed rusher, but he doesn't convert speed to power.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Much of the same was said about T.J. Watt in his rookie season no less. He turned out better than many thought. Brian has a greater ceiling than T.J. did coming out.

I believe he can be a complete pass rusher by year two. More importantly, I believe he is strong enough to handle run defense in his rookie season.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He has some good film. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Murphy, can never have enough CB's. Haven't we realized this before
    same as in safety's. We have to find some playmakers on the back end also.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree 5 years in and Dupree has done squat but just be an average starter. It's just hard for me to fathom they go OLB #1 again. Believe me I want another option at OLB than Dupree too, I just don't see the Steelers doing it in round 1 this year.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Burns won't fall to 20 but if he does I don't see how the Steelers skip him. You draft him and let it shake out during the season which is likely Duprees last anyway.

Then you move up in the 2nd if you have to and draft Love.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I would love burns and love but I think we are all in on Bush with all who was on hand at the mich. Pro day.
    I also think they will double up with two mich. LBers. Bush and winovich. Probably in the 1st and 3rd. Love could still be the #2. I'm thinking mullen. :cool:

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I would have rolled the dice with Chickillo,Ola and Adams and that would have left Burns as a option in the 1st. I don't see Dupree after this year. So I don't see the point in paying him 9 mil. dollars. Is having him or not having him gonna make or break our season? I highly doubt it....

I'm sorry. If anyone thinks Dupree could move inside they are fooling themselves. He isn't a physical player especially at the POA. That is one of his biggest weaknesses . He isn't too keen on mixing it up.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I just saw yesterday or Thursday that they can revoke the 5th year option. I don't know if that's true or not, but if they did select Burns then maybe that is an option? I don't know about cap implications etc. But it sure seems Colbert took the easy way out and just agreed to the tender. Was there even any negotiations? Colbert cited his playing through injury but dang 9 mil? Doubt we ever find out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The $9 million is now fully guaranteed. We can only get out of it by trading him.

21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Or a 5th....6th....7th..........:shrug:

22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Murphy all day long Bush is over hyped!!!!!!!!

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    ok thanks for the clarification. Still an outside shot if a team doesn't get their answer at edge in the draft. That's my optimistic take :smiley1:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  24. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Bush all day ...if we're lucky

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Murphy and baker due for a visit monday.:cool: